Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FINALLY got my fairing... and it won't fit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FINALLY got my fairing... and it won't fit!

Well, after literally two months of waiting for the cafe fairing, it finally came in the mail today. YES SIR! Got it from Chi Town parts. It's the Emgo.It's the same as the JCwhitney sprt fairing. (who seem to have them backordered). It came with some mounts but no instructions. BOO! I'm assuming it mounts to my turn signal mount.

So I tried to put it on, and the top piece doesn't clear my brake fluid rez. UHHHGG. I have daytona bars on right now, and they have a 5" rise. with a short pullback. I have the superbike bars (again on backorder) coming from motorcycle superstore. Hoping those work. I'm sick of waiting for things in the mail.

or maybe I'm mounting this sucker wrong?

No, it didn't clear my Euro bars from memory either & they have more pull back than the Daytona's (although the are a little higher...)

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

When i mounted it (incidentally, the one i got from Dan) it JUST cleared the res. There is a bit of "lean forward" play in it, and from memory, you can get it to stick out just a bit further to clear that res. THe L brackets will require a little modding, as they arent QUITE the right angle, but thats easy enough. You have a pic of it set up to the bike? I might be able to give some pointers...

Comment

I can do that, photos that is (go iphone ). or do you think I should wait for the superbike bars. OR will I be dealing with a clearance issue still. I feel like I can bend the plastic a bit to the side of the res. Prob not the best thing for the fairing, plus the screen isn't on. I need to put the screen on first. I could also cut the tip of the fairing? Last resort.

Comment

Clearance issues are fairly normal with these fairings and they do need some "bodging" to get a fit in most cases. I had them on 2 of my former Yammies and in both cases I had to change bars and fab up some custom brackets to get them on. For brackets I find aluminum bar stock to be easiest to work 3/4"x 1/8' from Home Depot or Lowes.

One thing to be very careful of is that it is easy to crack the plexiglass if you accidentally torque the fairing during installation and or setup. If the fairing is bent in anyway ( i.e. if the back "wings" are pushed in to clear controls for instance) the plexi will not line up with the mounting holes. they may only be off by a smidge but don't try and force it as this is when things go pear shaped. Happened to me twice.

Take your time and you should be good.

Post pics when you sort it.

cheers,
          Spyug

Comment

I've had my fairing for a few months now

and I'm still playing with it to get the fit right. I have the superbike bars on the 650G. Even with those there is still some clearance issues. Today I have the fairing off the bike and here with me at work so that I can cut out some space for the gauges....I toyed with the idea of removing the center pillar of gauges i.e. fuel, gear indicator, and neutral light, but I really like having them there so I am now cutting some material out of the fairing to make room for all the gauges. My suggestion to you would be to loosen up the handlebars and all the levers and grips so that they swing freely, mount the fairing the move the handlebars back to were you can get them. This worked for me and I have the riding positing I like and there is no rubbing on the controls....
            I will be cutting the fairing at lunch and I will take a phone pic of the completed cut for you when I'm done.

Austin

Comment

I had to hack on my Emgo to get it over the Master Cylinder, and I had to make an edging out of split open vacuum hose to stop the vibration from where it rested on the top of the MC.

Comment

Here are a couple of pics of the cutting I did. wish it looked prettier, but the tool I was using was just pretty much melting the plastic. When I get home i'm gonna file it down to a nice clean edge. I also gotta fiddle with it some more to get it to mount straight. Seems to tilt to the right for some reason.

Comment

That's what I did. Dremel wheel basically melted it, so filed and sanded after.

Comment

Get a Winjammer.
                    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

LOL Windjammers are HUGE!!!! My bike actually came with a Vetter Rooster fairing installed....like this one...

Even with that one it was ginormous....one of the first things to go....Still have it sitting in my garage, maybe i'll sell it....anybody interested?

Comment

Niiice! Glad you chimed in on this post, especially with those photos. Thanks MM. Also, did you use the brackets that came with the fairing?

Comment

I should get mine done this weekend, and it'll just fit with the "Euro" bars, but is close. My bike came with an aftermarket headlight and mounts so I slid them up from where they were. Like TheCafeKid said, the brackets need a minor tweak and a bit of forward tilt gives more room. I actually think the forward tilt looks neat anyway.

He it is. I'm finishing up the turn signal mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by maro View Post
                            Niiice! Glad you chimed in on this post, especially with those photos. Thanks MM. Also, did you use the brackets that came with the fairing?

So far yes i did....also had the forward lean on it initially but since i did the cut out it sits on there more vertical. I'm gonna go home tonight and finish it up and I will try and post some pics when its all said and done. Word of advice...since there were no insructions with my fairing took me a couple of times to get the bolting right.....use the rubber washer on both sides of the windshield holes or you will get a crack....believe me....

Comment

Originally posted by MellowMoodz View Post
                              LOL Windjammers are HUGE!!!! My bike actually came with a Vetter Rooster fairing installed....like this one...

Even with that one it was ginormous....one of the first things to go....Still have it sitting in my garage, maybe i'll sell it....anybody interested?

what was it like to ride with the vetter?

Comment

Working...
                              X