No announcement yet.

Gauge faces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oooooh! The anticipation is worse than waiting for Christmas morning!

Originally posted by fat_sac View Post
    Gotcha. I tried to read back but I guess it got buried enough for me to miss it. Since I'm not very observant that wouldn't be hard.

Comment

Yes guys, it's still on. I've created a spreadsheet to keep everyone's orders straight. Plan to do a little work on this this afternoon. Haven't gotten a whole lot of sleep this weekend yet. Can't wait to get back to work to get rested up.

Will try to have everyone's proofs out to them by tomorrow night, but may have to pick up a 750 tomorrow too. I think the first round will be about 8 - 10 sets by the feedback I've gotten so far. There's still more people that will be catching the second round as well.

As for the colour of the inside of the gauge buckets, if you're taking them apart, why not paint the inside white or blue or red or whatever colour you like? It's just a few bolts to take the guts out of the bucket. Might work the best too if you don't want an orange tint to all your light.

Comment

Originally posted by rudy View Post
        As for the colour of the inside of the gauge buckets, if you're taking them apart, why not paint the inside white or blue or red or whatever colour you like? It's just a few bolts to take the guts out of the bucket. Might work the best too if you don't want an orange tint to all your light.
        Good idea. The reason I didn't have a problem has to be the close proximity of the red LED color and the orange shell. I have the speedo off my GK (white shell) on there now but I can't tell a shade difference in the red back lighting. Of course, I am getting a little "long in the tooth" so my eyesight isn't what it used to be.

Comment

just saw this thread

I would be interested in a set as well..not entirely sure what you need to put me on the list. I have an 83 gs850g...will be replacing the tach soon so figure that would be a good time to change the faces as well.
          I would love a set like the ones previously posted with the vance and hines logo on it, but I was wondering if you can tie the large tach marks together for my redline...sort of like my pic below...that wold be really cool if you could...if this is still available, please let me know what info you need.

thanks
          Jason

Comment

firstly.......any news yet rudy? my clocks are already in pieces anticipating the new dials!

secondly, after making a few enquiries about back lighting and colour options etc, i have found the perfect solution. its called filter gel ( in the uk anyway ). its what photographers use and it is very thin translucent filter material that comes in sheets big enough to do all your faces and comes in practically any colour you want. it is also cheap as you like, about £1 a sheet on ebay!
            so you just pick a combination of filter and led colour and the options are endless.

would also be easy to adapt a small red filter piece to highlight the red line area on the tacho!
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Yes, this is still happening. Didn't get around to working on it last night. Worked in the garage a bit, then went for a ride on the 650, then had some people drop by, and the usual chatting continued all night.

The bosses are back at work this week, so it makes it a little harder to draw gauge faces with them walking by all the time. Will definitely work on and send out tonight.

So far I have hp1000s, Paddy, posplayr, fat_sac, agemax, Giblet and swisherred down for at least one set. Hope to catch you on the next round seuadr.

Giblet and swisherred, will need your email address that you want stuff sent to (can't attach PDF to a PM). Can get the rest of the info after approval.

Agemax, the thought of photo filters had crossed my mind. Could work pretty well. Anybody that wants to try this, please let us know how it works out.

Comment

email

thanks man...just let me know what you need...im patient so no hurry...
                Jason
                swisherred@aol.com

Comment

Hey; I was just looking for a way to do something with my speedo and tach, and WOW, I found this thread!!! I am new to the site, and I just got a 1982 GS1100G from a friend, and I am doing various things, both mechanical and cosmetic. Anyway, please count me in for a set. I can PayPal. Please let me know what I need to do.
                  Thanks Ken

Comment

so how long rudy before you reckon they will be available?
                    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by rudy View Post
                      The overall diameter is actually bigger than the stock ones because of the way the stock ones were illuminated. The light would shine around the outside of the face, wheras these will be illuminated from behind, making the space around the outside not needed.
                      Hi Rudy,

Late to the thread but interested in a set for a GS1000E. Let me first say great work. I do have a Cad question though, since you mentioned the gage OD is larger than stock how did you maintain the correct arc position of the numerials relative to the respective needles? Is your drawing 1:1 or did you just extend the index marks to the OD?

Looking forward to seeing the final results
                      Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

Can someone please post a picture?

Comment

Gauge faces

I'm interested, too. But would the new "appliques" fit my '82 GS750EZ with the 85 mph speedo and my tach, and be accurate? Also, would the new speedo face allow me to remove the 85mph peg on the speedo, and accurately measure speeds above that mark?

In my sitrep, Northeast Georgia has lots of little towns and counties whose primary focus (aka source of revenue) is "speed control zones" (notice that I did not say "speed traps" - lol.)

Thanks.

Comment

I'm interested fot my 850

I'd like a set for my GS850. When you have more details let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
                              Hi Rudy,

Late to the thread but interested in a set for a GS1000E. Let me first say great work. I do have a Cad question though, since you mentioned the gage OD is larger than stock how did you maintain the correct arc position of the numerials relative to the respective needles? Is your drawing 1:1 or did you just extend the index marks to the OD?

Looking forward to seeing the final results
                              Glad you asked about the OD. Yes, the first designs I had were a little larger than the stock ones, by about 1/8" or so. I've since changed that to be the exact same as stock sizing. Did a bit of checking and trials and decided it was the safer route to go.

With my original designs, I've printed them out 1:1 and compared to my originals. They're exactly spot on.

Originally posted by drhach View Post
                              Can someone please post a picture?
                              No pictures yet until I get my first order in. I don't even have a set for myself yet.

Originally posted by goatboy View Post
                              I'm interested, too. But would the new "appliques" fit my '82 GS750EZ with the 85 mph speedo and my tach, and be accurate? Also, would the new speedo face allow me to remove the 85mph peg on the speedo, and accurately measure speeds above that mark?

In my sitrep, Northeast Georgia has lots of little towns and counties whose primary focus (aka source of revenue) is "speed control zones" (notice that I did not say "speed traps" - lol.)

Thanks.
                              These aren't "appliques", they're FULL replacement faces. I have an 85mph speedo drawn up as well. Speedo's on old bikes are far from accurate even in stock form. The factories oversped the clocks so you thought you were going faster than what you actually were, but, I try to be as accurate to stock as possible. When you order, you'll get a 1:1 proof with dimensions for you to check with your originals. I can get pretty close by measuring degrees from a picture of your clocks, but it's up to you to make sure and let me know if something needs to be adjusted. If you want it 100% accurate to original, by all means, send me your faces and I'll make it exact.

Originally posted by cameronnc1 View Post
                              I'd like a set for my GS850. When you have more details let me know.
                              Check out the post back a few pages. It tells all the details you need to let me know. I've heard that the 850 clocks are a little smaller diameter than most, but not 100% sure.

Rudy

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                                so how long rudy before you reckon they will be available?
                                Really depends on the folks I have the proofs out to already. My aim is to place my order with the laser guy mid of next week at the latest. Depending on how busy he is, it could be a day or two for him to make them. I'll put my clocks together that night and take some pics to show you all as I know you're aching to see a finished product.

Patience my friend.

Rudy

Comment

Working...
                                X