Gauge faces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Macmatic View Post
    Hey Rudy, how about us pod people?! If I send you a GS750ES face could we get in on the next round? Should cover GS750E/ES/ESF and GS700 models from '83-'85. The face is roughly 18 x 10.5cm judging by the visable section. I could measure too but its a number of holes on one irregularly shaped piece.. would just a pic work for this too?

/\/\ac

P.s. Did you have a GS750EF not too long ago? I think we might have e-mailed about lower fairing hardware last year.

AHA!!! You freaky POD people and your body snatching!!! ..... Oh, wait, you mean....... Ah! Ok. My bad!

Yes, actually, you're not the first. I have another ES owner asking about that. A pic with measurement would work, but can't guarantee exact measurements. You certainly could send me the face. That would definitely be the easiest way as I'd have it in my hands to do the exact measurements with the caliper.

I'd like to do these separate from the roundies, just so stuff doesn't get complicated. No idea what they'll cost either.

I've never had a 750 of my own, though I bought a 77 GS750 this past December for my buddy for a wedding present. Still in the build process with that too.

Anywho, I'd love to make a face for you. Send it on over. PM or email for my addy.

Rudy

Comment

Gauge faces orders

Ok, so, this is a mass message to all who expressed interest so far. The prices are in, $30 for a speedo, tach and gas gauge face, plus shipping (can't be more than a few bucks). Paypal is kinda preferred, but I'm open to other options too, just lemme know. Paypal orders get a tracking number from Canada Post automatically, so that's pretty sweet as you don't have to pay extra.

So far, the list of people interested is:

Calvin Blackmore - 83 GS550L KM/H
      seuadr - 82 GS1100G w/ 550 clocks MPH
      renobruce - 2x 78 GS1000E MPH
      hp1000s - GS1000S MPH / KM/H
      fat_sac - 82 GS1100GK ???
      xebyd - 79 GS1000L - MPH
      Paddy - GS750 - KM/H / MPH
      Agemax - 78 GS1000E - MPH
      knotzilla - 80 GS850G - KM/H
      mcloud - 79 GS850G - KM/H
      J_C - 80 GS1100L - MPH
      mnt stream - don't know what ya got - MPH

Agemax, I'm gonna re-do that tach to 11,000 for ya right after I send this, then post it up for ya to look at. Found that my spare gauges are actually the same.

What I need from you if/when you want to give the go-ahead:

-Your email address to send a scaled and dimensioned PDF file for you to compare to your clocks. It's up to you guys to make sure and say the final "yes". I don't want anybody unhappy with the way things turn out. I can't stress this point enough.

-Text orientation. Radial, like most of the stuff I've shown examples of, or horizontal, like the stock stuff. Standard is radial, because I like it.

-Logo's and other details. If you don't specify anything, I won't put anything on. No, not even "Suzuki". Standard comes with notches and numbers and what units of speed it's in, that's it. If you want something you haven't seen yet, let me know. It honestly takes minutes to do it up.

-Standard colour will be white face with clear reverse engraved parts. Other colours I KNOW are available are: Black, yellow, and red. If you are wondering about another colour, please ask. Again, if you don't specify, you'll get the standard white.

-Units of speed:
      -MPH with KM/H secondary
      -KM/H with MPH secondary
      -Just MPH
      -Just KM/H
      -Acres per day (for mcloud )

You'll get them without the engraved sections coloured. This is up to you. Permanent markers will work, or you can find transparent paints at hobby and craft stores. You want transparent to allow the light to shine through. Paint or marker is done on the back of the face.

I think that's about it. Bet you didn't think there were that many variables in just gauge faces. The world is full of choices, all you need to do is pick a winner.

Rudy
      Last edited by Guest; 08-20-2008, 11:01 PM.

Comment

you know, another though to colouring these would be, replace your stock incadecant with either a coloured incadecient or coloured LED. my stock gauges, for whatever reason, glow red :P

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
          you know, another though to colouring these would be, replace your stock incadecant with either a coloured incadecient or coloured LED. my stock gauges, for whatever reason, glow red :P

I was thinking that too. Oh, and you know what? Reading this just made me try my flashlight behind my stock faces. It makes the numbers and marks glow orangy. Just goes to show what I know. In my defence though, I only actually rode this bike for about 3 minutes before I started tearing it apart, and I couldn't get the gauge lights to work. So there.

Comment

Here ya go Agemax. The actual spacing between the notches isn't any different than the 12k rpm gauge. You could place the needle back a little further and use a 12k just as easily. But I re-did it to 11k, just for you.

Comment

Seuadr brought up a valid point to me. Redline area. I'll offer it as an optional thing too. I thought about it for a second, and decided that a cross-hatch pattern will likely work best. Will post up another version with that tomorrow. You'll have to tell me where you want the redline to start as well. I think it's usually around 8.5-9k. Could just colour that portion of the numbers and marks a different colour instead. It's really up to you. I'll show both ways.

Rudy

Comment

Originally posted by rudy View Post
                Here ya go Agemax. The actual spacing between the notches isn't any different than the 12k rpm gauge. You could place the needle back a little further and use a 12k just as easily. But I re-did it to 11k, just for you.

aww thanks mate. will pm you later with logo's etc when i make me mind up!
                1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

email sent with pics. thanks rudy
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

Just so nobody wonders where their proofs are, I'm gone all weekend. Have to fix my brother's lawnmower, then a family doo. Ride safe this weekend!

Rudy

Comment

'81 gs1000g

Rudy, have you ordered yet? I was about to start negotiating with a guy to make new faces for me. Likely to spend way more than $30. This set would work for my '81 GS1000G with these exceptions :

1. Change the GS1000S to GS1000G (duh)
                      2. No Yoshmura logo.

I already back-light mine with red LED's so I could change to blue or what ever if I wanted. White face is good.

Here is what I have now

Originally posted by rudy View Post
                      Sure thing man. Just get a picture straight on (important to be straight, as you don't want the picture to be skewed) and some measurements. Once I get enough different faces made up, it'll be just a case of going through them and picking the one that's right. That will be a good day.

Here's the MPH version I promised earlier.

Working on the ones for later model 550's right now.
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-22-2008, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Giblet View Post
                        I already back-light mine with red LED's
                        just wondering, how does the red light work with the orange inside of the gauges, do you actually get a red light in the end?
                        i tried using green bulbs behind the faces but got a crap color because of the orange surface
                        GS850GT

Comment

Yep, I get a red light. Got 'em here http://www.superbrightleds.com/ . Red light comes around the edges. Worked great on my GK & G. GK had white plastic shells and G has orange. Aukland, New Zealand you say? Another one of the places on my "I hope to visit someday" list.

Steve

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                          just wondering, how does the red light work with the orange inside of the gauges, do you actually get a red light in the end?
                          i tried using green bulbs behind the faces but got a crap color because of the orange surface

Comment

aLLRIGHT. I emailed and pmed but nothing was returned. Is this still on? I think this is a really cool idea.

Comment

Originally posted by fat_sac View Post
                              aLLRIGHT. I emailed and pmed but nothing was returned. Is this still on? I think this is a really cool idea.
                              rudy does say in an earlier post that he is away for the weekend so wait a few days.
                              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                                rudy does say in an earlier post that he is away for the weekend so wait a few days.
                                Gotcha. I tried to read back but I guess it got buried enough for me to miss it. Since I'm not very observant that wouldn't be hard.

Comment

Working...
                                X