No announcement yet.

Gauge faces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, now that The GSR is back (Yipppeeee!) here are the pics I promised last week . . . . . . . seems the sight went down right after I posted.

Sorry, couldn't figure out how to put an arrow in pointing to the little silver cup looking thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Giblet View Post
      Well, now that The GSR is back (Yipppeeee!) here are the pics I promised last week . . . . . . . seems the sight went down right after I posted.

Sorry, couldn't figure out how to put an arrow in pointing to the little silver cup looking thing.
      Hey Giblet, since you are into your gauges that far, how hard do you think it would be to change the mileage? I've often thought it would be cool to re-set the mileage on my project.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Thinking about it Nessism, if the gauges are open, how about recalibrating them with a new gauge face? Just have Rudy change the numbers for you.
        Last edited by Guest; 01-11-2009, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Fix for bouncing needle

I too had that problem tach. Grease got into the bowl shaped piece that the needle is attached to. I think if you carefully clean out the cup with brake cleaner and a cotton swab then I think you will solve your problem. When I cracked open the tach, I used a drill press and a small dremel saw mounted in the press. and spun the face of the tach on a board face down. That allowed me to make a perfect cut all the way around the tach and when finished fixing the problem, some PVC cement (for white pipe) and some masking tape put it all back together. Good as new now

Nate

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
            I've often thought it would be cool to re-set the mileage on my project.
            I think that's illegal. Maybe it's only illegal if you do it with the intent to deceive someone. Not sure. I'm sure the odometer police would never catch you. Maybe you would just have to say that the shown mileage is not accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by drhach View Post
              I think that's illegal. Maybe it's only illegal if you do it with the intent to deceive someone. Not sure. I'm sure the odometer police would never catch you. Maybe you would just have to say that the shown mileage is not accurate.
              I'm not sure what the law says around here, but I know the mileage is exempt I think after 20 years. Plus with our bikes, you could buy a new speedo and put it on. But I can't find one. I just wanted to be able to start at zero with my project since it will have a new motor in it.
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

I thought about resetting mine when I had it apart, but no one looks at it so I decided against it. It'd be cool to sit on a 30 year old bike and see 14 miles on it lol

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                  I'm not sure what the law says around here, but I know the mileage is exempt I think after 20 years. Plus with our bikes, you could buy a new speedo and put it on. But I can't find one. I just wanted to be able to start at zero with my project since it will have a new motor in it.
                  Yeah, I think probably nobody would really care either way. I thought about doing the same thing to my bike. I rebuilt so much of it and I never rode it before I dug in to it, so to me it's kind of a new bike. I decided to go the other route though. My goal is to ride so many miles that the odometer flips back over to 0. only about 70K to go. Shouldn't be too hard.

Comment

I am not sure if this has been mentioned before. Have anyone of you sucessfully replaced the gauge lenses. I have a small chip in my speedo. I wonder if I can get a piece of glass or lexan cut to shape. Or I should just search for another clean speedo.

Comment

My goal is to ride so many miles that the odometer flips back over to 0
                      Mine has......3 times, it is currently sitting on 376 000 KM, and seeing that the odo on the GS only has 5 didgits, it might as well be 76 000KM, who is to know that it has spun 3 times, so it is pretty pointless really, I could say it is 76K, 176K, 276K who is to say.
                      I would like mine to have the 6th didgit, then it would show the 376 000, kinda proud of that actualy , oh well, guess you can't have it all.

Comment

Question for you guys that have changed your gauge faces: when you lifted the needle over the stop, how far down did it hang? I took off the needle on a guage yesterday and didn't take note.

Thanks in advance for any help.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

My gauge faces just arrived, these look fabulous. Thank you Rudy for taking your time and making these available for us

Now I have to get the color applied to them and install them,

Comment

Got mine too, wanted to lay praise sooner, but been crazy at work.
                            They look great! I've applied the gels I bought off Ebay, and lit from
                            behind, it's a thing of beauty. The GS is still back in Maine, so I've got
                            a trip out to storage to make to take the head unit off, but I'm psyched.

Thanks Rudy! The design work was great, and the sourcing off the laser
                            engraver invaluable. Definitely worth the money! I hope you came out on
                            top on this.

Comment

Hi Shaughn,
                              I see you are just a few hours north of me,

What are the gels you got for coloring yours?
                              I have done some coloring with a marker and they look fine but not as nice as they could be and I expect not very durable.
                              I have partially assembled the speedometer and illuminated it and the innermost details are not as bright as the outer areas. This is mostly due to shadowing from the internal workings and may be the light shields on the bulbs. I expect a better coloring may improve that.

Rudy,
                              On your faces you colored most of the detail with blue. Have you left the housing orange or have you painted the inside? I expect there may be a colorshift with the orange backlight.

How have people addressed the stop pins?

Comment

Hi Colt,

Yeah, we're not far off at all. In fact, I send a truck to Rutland 5 days a week. The gels I used are these;

Which I got from here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002GW000

But, once I'm done playing with the looks, I'm more than happy to mail you the left overs. I used mostly blue, some green and a some red. No yellow at all. Let me know, PM me, and I'll mail 'em. It won't be this weekend however, as I'm going to be travelling.

Comment

Working...
                                X