Gauge faces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
    Rudy...how about a peel and stick sticker for the 77 and the 78 750 guages..you guys able to,produce those as well? I know of three bikes that would love them...
    Went back and read all the new stuff. Snuck out on the GS tonight for a few hours, but back now to keep designing my kitchen. No rest for the wicked I guess.

Anyway, about an appliqué for the faces as chuck mentioned. Probably not the best solution. Will probably be close to the actual acrylic faces as far as price goes, and exactly the same amount of work. The thing about vinyl is, it shrinks, gets old, and goes for a crap. The acrylic used on previous orders was UV stable. A little more cake than the normal acrylic that we use for work, but good stuff. My faces still look like new, and they've been out in the hot sun for a lot of last summer.

Anyways, if you guys look all through the thread from the beginning, you can see the different designs and ideas. I kept a spreadsheet of what models and what years had what designs, so matching stuff up will be easy. I send out a proof in PDF with dimensions for you to check with your originals, and nothing gets made without your OK.

It usually takes a couple months to get enough people to commit to get started on an order. We'll have to see how much interest the still is. I usually start designing after about 10 people have committed, and then there's usually a few stragglers that come along to fill it in.

I'll hopefully talk to the new laser man this week, but I'm pretty crazy at work, so we'll see what I have time for.

Comment

I am in for sure Rudy.. keep a list and when enough interest / comitted member hits. then PM me with all the info i need to send payment and such.. Put me down for my 77 750B and my 78 750E.
      Last edited by chuck hahn; 04-13-2010, 10:10 PM.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I somehow missed this, I have a black sheep though, a gs400...

nice thing is IIRC my lenses just unscrew...

Comment

Rudy.. I checked my 77 750B and my 78 750E and the center of the guage housing with the slikscreened lettering appears to be exactly the same..And i will be in for 4 stickers for them if you decide to go there!! Thanks, Chuck.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I haven't read through the entire thread, but if you have anything for a GS1000E I would be interested in several sets. My friend down the road has two 750E's a 1000E and a 1000S. All us models.
            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

get on it Rudy.. We are just dying to throw you our cash!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

If you end up doing a set for the 77 750 I'd be in for a set...the pics look amazing!

DDM

Comment

What a really cool way to dress up a vintage bike.

Add my name to the list for my '80 GS850!

Comment

Ok boys and girls. Should be enough to get started, but not this weekend yet. I'm building my kitchen this weekend. It's been a long time coming since I haven't had one in about a year. Sawhorses and a sheet of plywood has been my kitchen table/counter top/workbench/tool storage area for quite a while. I'm stoked to have a kitchen sink again! You don't realize how much it sucks until you have to do without it.

70's and some of the 80's 750's, 850's, and 1000's are all the same gauge faces with the exception of the gas gauge on the 1000. L models are smaller. I think 650 and under are smaller as well. 1100's are a different beast all together, and some 1100's have the one piece dash (ES, EF, EFE). Majority of what you guys are asking for are all the same. Real easy for me. Hope to get into it monday.

Have a great weekend all!

Comment

Finally got mine done...

Life gets in the way and then fun projects get put on hold. Finally got my face plates on. Here are some pics to enjoy. I also did the stop pin. It took a little effort to pull it out. Twist and pull worked best. Then I ended up using a needle. I held it with a pair of vise grips and twisted it back and forth to make the hole. I stil have to put the gear indicator in but you get the idea. Looks so nice. I am gonna have to force myself to keep my eyes on the road.

The last pic makes the gauges look twisted but they are in there nice and straight...

David
                      1998 Suzuki Bandit
                      1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
                      1978 GS1000 - gone
                      1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Awesome work Dave....some of the details that get done and shared on this site are amazing...lots of patience out there....or is it patients??? Gonna share how you did it or I missed that already?

Comment

Lookin nice man!!! As with you, life has gotten in the way again this week. Boss thought he deserved to go on holidays to the D.R. Guess who gets to pick up the slack. Woohoo. Still building my kitchen too, the never-ending PITA house renos.

Comment

Originally posted by gs road racer View Post
                            Awesome work Dave....some of the details that get done and shared on this site are amazing...lots of patience out there....or is it patients??? Gonna share how you did it or I missed that already?
                            Thanks. I do have patients at work and sometimes I have patience with projects.

I pretty much followed the advice on this thread. I bent the bezel back. I think Nessism suggest that. Tried to get the needle off the face without having it fly across the garage. I also used a needle to get the stop in there..

It all took some time but it worked.

Looks so nice with the new gauge cover....
                            David
                            1998 Suzuki Bandit
                            1978 GS1000 - gone
                            1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Originally posted by rudy View Post
                              Lookin nice man!!! As with you, life has gotten in the way again this week. Boss thought he deserved to go on holidays to the D.R. Guess who gets to pick up the slack. Woohoo. Still building my kitchen too, the never-ending PITA house renos.
                              I know what you mean. Sometimes I get things done and other times it seems like things keep breaking around the house (my kids help with the breaking) and I have to fix before I can work on fun stuff.

Working on a few more bike things this weekend....unless.....
                              David
                              1998 Suzuki Bandit
                              1978 GS1000 - gone
                              1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Originally posted by portdave View Post
                                Life gets in the way and then fun projects get put on hold. Finally got my face plates on. Here are some pics to enjoy. I also did the stop pin. It took a little effort to pull it out. Twist and pull worked best. Then I ended up using a needle. I held it with a pair of vise grips and twisted it back and forth to make the hole. I stil have to put the gear indicator in but you get the idea. Looks so nice. I am gonna have to force myself to keep my eyes on the road.

The last pic makes the gauges look twisted but they are in there nice and straight...

They look fantastic... having the needles the same colour as the dials might increase the time required to 'get a read' on them though, while riding....contrast helps somewhat, with monitoring the gauges using peripheral vision while looking ahead.
                                Tony.
                                '82 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                                X