Old bike, new Owner.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old bike, new Owner.

Long story short, I just bought my first motorcycle, an `81 GS650G only to find out the `running` bike didn`t run. After purchase, I found out it was stored for years outside and then in the back corner of a body shop for a year, before the P.O. found a sucker(that would be me) to buy the bike off him.

I knew going into the sale it would not be as simple as start the bike and go, and I figured the bike would need a bit of work anyway. Reading this forum has been a great help in getting the bike running! A big Thank You goes out for everyone!

Now I was wondering if anyone might have a few ideas on what else to do to the bike, I am very interested in hearing what everyone thinks.

Here is a concept image of what I am planning to do with the bike that I did up in photoshop. I will be painting the bike with a color-shifting dark metallic green to yellow-brown irridescent paint. I am going to add maintenance markings on the bike for specific things like petcock positioning, fuel fill markings, and intake and exhaust caution markings.

I will upload pics once I have the bodywork started, which will be as soon as I have access to a paint booth arranged, I hope.

If anyone has any suggestions, cosmetic, performance, or otherwise, I welcome all to contribute. Also, if there is any specific work which should be done that other 650 owners have run into in their past, please let me know.
    Thanks again to all.
    ---
    Mac

Originally posted by Macguyver View Post

... If anyone has any suggestions, cosmetic, performance, or otherwise, I welcome all to contribute. Also, if there is any specific work which should be done that other 650 owners have run into in their past, please let me know....
    ---
    Mac
    I guess the cosmetics are pretty much up to you. Performance depends on your budget. I would try to get it running well in stock trim first. Spending additional $$ to make a 650 behave more like a 750 or 850 will likely cost you more than if you sold the 650 and bought a 750. As for 650-specific tasks, I can't think of any in particular that are unique to a 650. You should have a 650 manual to become aware of maintenance items, etc. (you can download one at

http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/gs/GS650GManual.pdf)

Cheers and welcome.

Comment

I am going for reliability over horsepower increases.

I am going to tear the bike down this winter to paint the frame and rebuild/paint the transmission and engine, so any real performance mods will wait until then. I just want to make sure it is mechanically reliable for what's left of the summer, and then the real work begins.

I'm waiting on some parts and doing what I can, when I can, and it's coming along pretty well so far.

Today I sand blasted the exhaust and painted it with high heat - low gloss black. (Mick Jagger would be proud!)
      I also fixed a couple of small dings in the tank, and have the rest of the body parts ready for paint.
      I also dealt with a couple broken exhaust manifold bolts that the P.O. had snapped off. Unfortunately I had to drill them out and put 2 helicoils in, but it should be ok, they were on different exhaust ports. I also replaced the 2 SAE helicoils he already had in there with the proper metric ones, so now half of the exhaust manifold bolt holes have a helicoil in them. great...
      "Quick fix" P.O.' s...There should be a law or something.
      ---
      Mac

Now if only they could get my parts here faster...

Comment

It's been a while...

Well, after hitting several major snags in my plan to rebuild my bike over the course of the winter, I finally have the time and cash to get to it.
        I have spent a lot of time on it in the last few weeks since the guy who owns the place I had it stored said he needed the space. I now have my baby running, and at home where I can finish up the minor details at my leisure. I went with an olive drab delfleet essential paint job on the body parts, tank, ammo tin storage boxes, and flat and gloss black on the engine and frame components.
        Still having some trouble getting her running well, I need a new petcock(she's dumping fuel into #2 cylinder down the vacuum line), and I am replacing the intake boot orings tonight. This will hopefully have her purring like a kitten.Well, a very big kitten.
        A big thanks to Basscliff for hosting the service manual on his website, it has been a world of help!
        I may not be road ready yet, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now, and it looks like a GS650 headlight!
        ---
        Mac

Comment

Originally posted by Macguyver View Post
          Well, after hitting several major snags in my plan to rebuild my bike over the course of the winter, I finally have the time and cash to get to it.
          I have spent a lot of time on it in the last few weeks since the guy who owns the place I had it stored said he needed the space. I now have my baby running, and at home where I can finish up the minor details at my leisure. I went with an olive drab delfleet essential paint job on the body parts, tank, ammo tin storage boxes, and flat and gloss black on the engine and frame components.
          Still having some trouble getting her running well, I need a new petcock(she's dumping fuel into #2 cylinder down the vacuum line), and I am replacing the intake boot orings tonight. This will hopefully have her purring like a kitten.Well, a very big kitten.
          A big thanks to Basscliff for hosting the service manual on his website, it has been a world of help!
          I may not be road ready yet, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now, and it looks like a GS650 headlight!
          ---
          Mac
          Great progress so far! I like the black highlights, exhaust, casing, valve cover, etc. Keep us posted.

Comment

Well, as any long term owner of any vehicle can tell you, the exhaust takes a beating from rust.(Unless you have shelled out major cash for a stainless steel setup, or are using a sacrificial anode that is.)

I am attempting to give a semi-complete overview of what we can do about that for a GS650 G, short of buying new pipes.

Tools you need: Welder, Welding mask (safety first!), wire brush, mechanic's wire, and something to cut the old pipe with
            -dremel rotary tool with a diamond blade, reciprocating saw with a metal blade, metal cutting band saw, a herring, whatever you have at hand ;O)

Step 1: Remove the pipes from bike, assess the damage and find replacement donor pipe
            -For all of us Canadians, Canadian Tire part #548-520 1-1/2" ID to 1-3/8 OD adapter worked well for me since it is already flared out nicely :O) ~$5 each

Step 2: Make sure sizing is good on the parts before doing any cutting!

Step 3: Cut off offending rusted out sections and clean surface of old pipe to be welded to, as well as cut new pipe to length and clean for welding.

Step 4: Line up new pipe to old pipe, tack in place with a couple welds and make sure the fit is good, level, square, and oriented properly so the pipe will fit properly into the receiving pipe.

Step 5: Bead weld the new pipe to the old pipe. I tap the metal down with a body hammer before welding to make sure the fit is as close as possible, and easier to weld without "blowing through" the metal.

Step 6: Wire brush the welded area to clean off any flux or carbon build up, make sure to clean a good 2" from the weld.

Step 7: Spray with High Temperature exhaust paint, 2 medium build coats minimum, waiting 15 minutes between coats to allow the paint to "flash" off, any fewer coats and you will not have the required 2-3 mil. film build to seal the surface to keep corrosion from destroying your work. Also, make sure to get inside the pipes a bit too!

Step 8: Wrap the ends of the new pipes in epoxy type muffler bandage. This turns into one piece of high temp plastic when heated the first time, and seals the pipe well into the receiver.

Step 9: Install in reverse order of taking the pipe off.

I used mechanic's wire to hold the muffler bandage in place during install and removed after the pipes were fitted into the receivers, make sure if you do the same, do not leave it in place, it will only give rust a new starting point to work away at your exhaust.

There you have it, easy fix, takes about an hour and a half, and if you are lucky, you know someone who can bead weld better than I can!

Run the pipes for about a half-hour, checking for leaks and heating up the muffler bandage material, once they cool, feel free to spray the muffler bandage with high temp paint to match the rest of the exhaust.

I hope this proves helpful to people, or at least interesting reading. And now, the pretty pictures!

---
            Mac
            Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2009, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Btw,

Almost forgot, here are some pics of the bike at around 85% complete.
              So far:
              Painted body parts and tank, recovered seat, new petcock, intake orings, intake boots, carb rebuild, valves reshimmed, new valve cover gasket, new starter, added ammo tin storage bins, LED rear blinkers, new fuel tubing, complete fluid change, full polish and clean job, bunch of other things I can't remember, and now I am on the home stretch!
              Fair bit of work saving this one from going to scrap!

---
              Mac

Comment

Looks like you are sticking to your goal......Bike looks great, Good work!!!!

Comment

nice work on the exaust , you made the old girl look prety good. looks like she will be on the road soon .
                  what part of canada are you in, eh i am in southern bc
                  keep up the good work ....toolman

Comment

Thanks...

Yep, the old girl is almost ready to roll, thanks to all the encouragement and help from all the members of the resource!
                    I am in Midwestern Ontario, Formosa to be exact. As the saying goes, "There are no stop lights in the little town of Formosa", but we do have a brewery!
                    I am hoping to have her on the road really soon, if all things go as planned.(What's the smiliey for fingers crossed???)
                    ---
                    Mac

Comment

From what I've heard from a few other GSer's, the 650G is only 5 HP or so less than the 850G because of the compression on the 650. Don't know that for a fact, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Welcome to the 650g club!

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the help guys, and the encouragement, I am almost ready to go on the road with her, just a few things left.
                        Tonight I packed the pipes with real steel wool, looking to tune the sound a bit, really too close to a streetbike sound for my taste, I would prefer a lower, quieter tone to it. I guess I won't know what she'll sound like until after I get some carbs on her and rejet anyways, but I think this should make her sound better.

BTW is it just me or does it feel like a hollow win when you spend an hour removing a rust-locked bolt from the end of an exhaust pipe only to find that the other two are rust-locked too?
                        I guess a win is a win, at least I didn't break it off. It did require a bit of welding to put one new nut in, and to seal the inner endcap properly. I think I just might smooth the inside recess of the end of the pipe with JB Weld to make sure she's sealed and there are no holes for any blow-by to get through.

I firmly believe that there is no rusted bolt that can't be removed as long as you apply enough profanity. ;O)
                        ---
                        Mac
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2009, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Progress report

Well, last night I started tearing down the old carbs for my bike. I flat blacked the top cap and fuel bowls, and I am planning on flat blacking the gang plate, and the other associated hardware that holds the carbs together in preparation for when I get a new set of carbs to tear apart and rebuild using the "good" hardware I have from the current set.
                          I will upload pics when they are reassembled with good carb bodies.

Can anyone recommend a good cleaner for the engine block that will remove the faded look from the engine block? I have tried using armor all engine cleaner, but all that did was clean off the road grit, just like soap and water with a scrub brush would have. I am tempted to try super clean, but am hesitant since I know it will remove paint as well, and it is slightly reactive with aluminum.

Open to ideas, suggestions, what has worked well for others?

Comment

Petcock Question

Hey guys, just a quick question.
                            I just bought a new petcock on ebay and was wondering if anyone had swapped the endcap with the vacuum line on one to orient the proper way?(facing forward)
                            I can't see any reason why I can't do this, but I decided to ask just in case anyone had any problems doing this.
                            Here's the pic of the one I purchased:

My stock one faces the vacuum line forward, not to the rear.
                            I will likely change it unless anyone has a horror story about this.
                            Thanks,

Comment

Seat pan reinforcement

Well guys, here are some photos from the reinforcement of the seat pan for my 650.
                              The P.O. had had the pan sandblasted and painted it with red oxide primer(the cheap version, not even epoxy primer) and it had rusted again, surprise, surprise, eh?

I was a little concerned about the resilience of the pan since it had been sand blasted before, I was going to do it again, and if felt "thin". So I decided to coat it in fiberglass to reinforce it, and seal it.

I had the pan re-blasted and coated it with fiberglass resin, and overlayed fiber mesh and recoated it with resin again to seal it up. The colour under the fiberglass is mainly the remnants of the red oxide primer that was left in the pitted surface of the seat pan.

There was some rust left on the pan in the deeper pits, but I wasn't too concerned with it since I baked the pan in the oven at 350 degrees for an hour before I applied the resin to get any moisture out of it to make sure it did not degrade any further, and to make the surface "thirsty" to accept the resin.

I know, I know, you're saying to yourselves "Just buy a new seat already", but I try and reuse everything I can, I'm wierd like that OK.

When doing this, it is essential that the surface have a coat of resin on it before you stretch the mesh over it, to ensure good adhesion. When draping the mesh over the surface, use a bristle brush (cheap dollar store paint brush) to push the mesh into the resin. Tap the mesh in using the end of the bristles, try not to drag the brush across the mesh, this will pull your mesh out of alignment and you will have to massage it back into position.

Once the mesh is all pushed into the resin, it should take on a translucent state which allows you to see through it to the surface below, now you can add the next coat of resin. Be sure that the entire surface of the mesh is pressed down to the surface of the metal and there are ideally no air pockets or bubbles. This ensures proper bonding and makes it stronger.

When mixing the resin and activator, make sure to get the proportions right, and if unsure, mix a touch activator heavy to guarantee the resin will harden. This will cut down the working time of the activated resin though so be quick and make sure it is exactly where you want it because there is no second chance with this stuff.

Always extend the coating of resin past the edge of the metal surface so you have complete coverage. Once cured, trim back the mesh to the edge of the metal with your favorite cutting implement(carefully!) and make sure to cut out the breather holes on the bottom so the seat doesn't balloon up on you when you sit on it!

I also painted the top and bottom of the pan once completly cured with a high quality acrylic enamel paint to seal it before mounting the hardware back onto it.

I hope this helps, or is at least interesting reading.

Comment

Working...
                              X