gas caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gas caps

Does anyone know of a replacement gas cap for an 81 gs750 style gas tank that does not use a key?

Bump..... Anyone??

Comment

is it square or round?

Comment

It s the low profile / flat rectangular cap with the key.

Bike looks totally different now, going with a stripped down cafe look. I removed the ignition and will be removing the rest of the factory electronics soon. Dont want to have to carry a key just for a gas cap.

Comment

Is it an issue with a lost key that is making you search for this?
          I have never seen one without a key in the aftermarket.

ocassionally yah can get lucky on ebay and repalce all your locks from a donor bike including the gas cap.

Comment

No I have the key. I just dont want to have to carry one. Allot of the older bikes say pre 80s have just a plain old gas cap. Thats what Im looking for. Maybe I will just swap the tank........

Comment

odd all the caps I sw on ebay including the round types for GSs had keys.

Dont you have an ignition key?

Comment

Nope just a switch for the power under the gas tank on the number two carb.

Comment

wouldn't that make it really easy to steal?

Comment

How about replacing the lock tumbler with a shaft/knob? I know those caps come apart...
                    Or maybe cut the handle part off the key and attach a knob to that...something subtle and low, but big enough to turn it.

Just thinkin'...
                    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

i would bet you can make a push button cap release if you take the cap apart and rig a push button style popper thing on there.....

Comment

To answer your question, no, there is not a gas cap out there that can be used w/o the key. I find unlocking the cap to be a pain too.

Comment

and where are you located?

Comment

I'd say just take it apart and remove the tumblers from the lock mechanism (easy-peasy), then dream up some way to mount a knob so you can twist the mechanism as needed (probably not as easy).

If you look in the Hardley-Ableson catalogs, there are lots of neat non-locking gas caps out there, but they expect you to weld a bung into the tank, which seems a like a lot more effort than it's worth in this case.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for the replys. To try and answer a few of the questions

I am not really worried about anyone trying to steal my bike. (its an 81 suzuki)

I live in Jackson, Ohio (North Canton area)

I like the idea of removing the tumbler and rigging a simple push button release. I will have to look into that.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X