Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

82 1100E Band/Gixer coversion (week one)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 1100E Band/Gixer coversion (week one)

Man I'm so jealous on the workspace you have! I changed the wheels, forks, swingarm and brakes on my '78 GS1000 to '83 GS1100 E items, and had to do it all in front of my house on the sidewalk (In januari!)
    Good luck on your project, keep us posted.
    Succes,
    Ed

Comment

So what is the plan???

Mono-shock?, USD?, 180's?? Inquiring minds wanna know

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Vrolijk View Post
        Man I'm so jealous on the workspace you have! I changed the wheels, forks, swingarm and brakes on my '78 GS1000 to '83 GS1100 E items, and had to do it all in front of my house on the sidewalk (In januari!)
        Good luck on your project, keep us posted.
        Succes,
        Ed
        Im with Ed on this one. Had to do my stator, r/r, and carb clean on the sidewalk in front of my house. I did sneak the carbs into the house on the kitchen table but......wifey was at work.

Comment

Going with a Bandit rear swingarm and brake calipers, 180 rear, ohlins shocks (Katman did the rear shock mounts and spacers) 47T rear Vortex sprocket, 530 chain conversion with 17T 5/8 offset front sprocket, V&H 4 into 1 exhaust. In the front a complete a 92 GSXR front end, replacing 82 clocks with 83 clocks (to get 140 speedo). After the suspension is complete and tweaked, the engine is comimng out to have frame powder coated. Then a re-build on the engine, flat slide carbs, probably a 1166 kit (not totally sure yet) Engine covers, headlight ring and lamp are getting chromed, engine paint, welded crank.......few! I have work to do...

out..
          Joe

Comment

Looking good man, looking good.

One suggestion I would make is put some chock blocks under the front tires. It doesn't take much to rock the bike of the center stand when its in that position.

Another suggestion is get some cheap short jack stands when your ready to take the front off. Take a short piece of 2"X4" and put it near your front tire. Lift the front tire and slide the 2X4 under. Now take the jack stands and slide them under the frame rails. Then just pull the 2"X4" out and your front will be off the ground and ready to be removed.

Comment

Thanks for the tip!...I had some concerns on the easiest way to do that. Again I really appreciate all your knowledge and help on this, your bike is the model for reference behind all this!...more pics as I progress (and questions of coarse)

Joe

Comment

Me too...

Going with a Bandit rear swingarm and brake calipers, 180 rear, ohlins shocks (Katman did the rear shock mounts and spacers) 47T rear Vortex sprocket, 530 chain conversion with 17T 5/8 offset front sprocket, V&H 4 into 1 exhaust. In the front a complete a 92 GSXR front end, replacing 82 clocks with 83 clocks (to get 140 speedo). After the suspension is complete and tweaked, the engine is comimng out to have frame powder coated. Then a re-build on the engine, flat slide carbs, probably a 1166 kit (not totally sure yet) Engine covers, headlight ring and lamp are getting chromed, engine paint, welded crank.......few! I have work to do...

out..
                Joe
                I'm doing almost the exact same thing. I hit a speed bump last night when I started mocking up the front suspesion and found out my "GSXR1100" forks are GSXR750s. Aaaahhh.

What hub, axel, brake parts are you using.

Comment

Do you have the front offset sprocket yet? If so where did you get it?

Comment

I am using the complete Bandit rear end and a 92 GSXR 1100 front end, only problem with pre 93 gixer front end is the steering stops are too short, have to mod a little there. send me some pics...

Comment

Frame bracing and other mods

I've spoken with Katman about the same thing. What are you planning on for the frame:
                      Bracing?
                      rearsets?
                      Rear brake mods?

Posplayr

Comment

Should have the swinger from Rob this week, I'm gonna dry fit everything and notch the frame if needed, engine is coming out to have frame powder coated so probably makes the most sense to do....Dig your bikes by the way!

Comment

Im using rear sets from a ZX12R with fabbed mounting plates (similar to Isleoman's build) Keeping the Bandit brake set up for now. Not sure on the frame bracing yet...as soon as the frame is stripped I'll cross that road.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post

out..
                            Joe

Holy crap, BAD ASS!

Comment

Working...
                            X