Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repairing clearcoat ? Possible or Doomed ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repairing clearcoat ? Possible or Doomed ?

( Hey, i searched for this and couldnt find it...'lil help, please! )

My clearcoat is flaking and peeling....can i sand it down and spray clear laquer over top...the basecoat seems fine...

or is this idea doomed from the start ???

You gonna shoot it with REAL clear? Otherwise its pretty pointless. It will bubble on contact with gas. If you can find someone that can shoot a real clear coat cheap, I would suggest that route. Just wet sand the hell out of the whole thing with some 400 grit or 380 if you can find it, and have him shoot it.

Comment

doomed from the start, clear coat is a bad bad thing developed by the devil himself
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by OhioEric View Post
        ( Hey, i searched for this and couldnt find it...'lil help, please! )

My clearcoat is flaking and peeling....can i sand it down and spray clear laquer over top...the basecoat seems fine...

or is this idea doomed from the start ???
        No, I'm afraid it won't work like you are thinking. First, the fact that the clear is peeling tells you there is a problem. UV has attacked the finish and broken it down enough for it to delaminate. Second, If you sand it down and apply clear over the top, the sand scratches will show as well as the edge of the original clearcoat.

I'm afraid you will need a complete respray to get the results you are looking for.

Comment

Unfortunately, Orgi is right. If the clear is flaking, It coming off all over, and you're not going to want to spray over it anyway. In order for this to work, you would have to remove the clear, and leave the base coat. On a bike, this would be almost impossible. Too many contours. Another issue is the side covers. When I repainted my bike, the side covers had stickers, and if you sanded into them, you would be SOL. Your best bet is to leave it, or get ready to pick a new color

Comment

Working...
          X