Band/Gixer Conversion (week 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quasimodo View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what's ABM? Is it a manufacturer? I may need something similar for my planned future mod.

The bike looks fantastic, BTW.

Thanks.

Check them out here, they have a lot of cool stuff..but expensive. Before I found mine I was going to purchase new anyway. If you think of the work and research involved in creating risers for the GSXR forks it seems reasonable. Saves alot of time, they bolt up in minutes and they look really nice..just have to close your eyes and wright the check! hope this helps..

thx fot the compliment

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
      http://www.synto.de/en/products/supe...ebars-and-caps

Check them out here, they have a lot of cool stuff..but expensive. Before I found mine I was going to purchase new anyway. If you think of the work and research involved in creating risers for the GSXR forks it seems reasonable. Saves alot of time, they bolt up in minutes and they look really nice..just have to close your eyes and wright the check! hope this helps..

thx fot the compliment
      Thanks for the info. Even found a local company that carries them amongst other things.

Please pardon me once again, if I may pick your brain, where'd you get the front-end set from? I'm having a devil of a time trying to locate a complete GSXR set from an early 90's vintage.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Quasimodo View Post
        Thanks for the info. Even found a local company that carries them amongst other things.

Please pardon me once again, if I may pick your brain, where'd you get the front-end set from? I'm having a devil of a time trying to locate a complete GSXR set from an early 90's vintage.

Thanks again.
        I actually found the complete front end on ebay, I would highly recommend trying to find the complete front end. This way you end up with all the little bolts, screws, the calipers and stem bearings. Mine is from a 93 GSXR 1100..any years from 91 - 95 will be a direct bolt up. As far as the wheel mine is actually from a Bandit 1200 with GSXR rotors, most all the wheels from those years are interchangeable. Expect to pay anywhere from $200-$400 for the front end and make sure your forks are not severly pitted or you wont be able to re-seal them properly. One last thing I would also recommend is replacing the factory GSXR fork springs with a pair of Race Techs, if gives you a little stiffer ride but is needed with the added weight of the old GS's

hope this helps

Comment

Just a little info for you all... even though bandit 12 wheels / discs & 90's gsxr wheels / discs are interchangable the disc offset is different by 2mm meaning either the discs or the calipers may need offsetting by that amount

The setup mentioned by jwhelan65 above is fine but if he had used bandit 12 discs the calipers would not have sat central on the disc

I hope that helps someone with mixing & matching parts

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
            Just a little info for you all... even though bandit 12 wheels / discs & 90's gsxr wheels / discs are interchangable the disc offset is different by 2mm meaning either the discs or the calipers may need offsetting by that amount

The setup mentioned by jwhelan65 above is fine but if he had used bandit 12 discs the calipers would not have sat central on the disc

I hope that helps someone with mixing & matching parts
            Tone, thanks for the clarification, I actually bought a Bandit 1200 front wheel and an early GSXR wheel and stripped the rotors off the gixer wheel, the Bandit wheel was in much better condition , but you are correct the bandit rotors are pitched forward 2mm, so they are not a direct bolt up
            Last edited by Guest; 12-13-2008, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              One other thing I would like to recommend to a FANTASIC job you are doing is to change out the front master you have on there now to a GSXR master with a remote reservoir. That will enabe you to add fluid much easier than with the master that's on there now. PLUS, they are WAAAYYYY lighter! I was also going to suggest you try drag bars but I see you beat me to it! The drag bars look good & I think you will find they feel "right" on your bike. Great work, keep the pics coming. If you ever decide to do the motor let me know & I'll help however I can. Ray.
              What about installing mirrors with the remote reservoir? where do they mount?..the back side piece of the GS assembly lines up perfectly and it has the mirror hole..

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                What about installing mirrors with the remote reservoir? where do they mount?..the back side piece of the GS assembly lines up perfectly and it has the mirror hole..
                You can always replace the gsxr master cylinder you have now for a bandit 12 one which will sit straight, has a mirror mount & does not need an extra bracket for the remote res, a quick simple & tidy solution imo

The mirror mount you have may well fit on the later remote res if you want to go that route, it depends on year & model as some have offset bolt holes & some dont

Comment

Tone,

Good info on the bandit res, I'm using the GSXR1100 master and although the resevoir is not level there is still plenty of fluid to cover the piston and provide proper operation. To further increase my living on the edge, dangerous life style, I run Dot 5. "Dot 5 and still alive" is my motto.

Comment

See i am usefull at times lol

I'm using a gsxr res on my fightered gsxr with straight bars atm & have had no problems with the angle but it will be changed during the next rebuild as its always a worry about dragging some air in

Comment

Crack?

Was tearing down today in preparation for powder coating the frame and came across a crack in the cylinder head cover,no idea how long its been there

Last edited by Guest; 12-19-2008, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Was tearing down today in preparation for powder coating the frame
                        What is the plan? Frame bracing and powder coating? Where you going to brace the frame?

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                          What is the plan? Frame bracing and powder coating? Where you going to brace the frame?
                          No plans to brace the frame, it has alot of exposed unsightly rust in areas that can't be hidden. The pics hide all the warts..sending the body parts off for painting, powder coating wheels, frame, caliper hanger, wheel hub, swingarm and headlight can this week.

Comment

Rear set plates

Got the rear set plates back from the machine shop today. Still lack the helicoils holes for the rearsets and need to have some welding done. The fit was perfect! Thanks to Mr Isleoman

Comment

J, That's good news I was sweating it. I'll get you the spacer info later today. Have you figured out what your going to do with the shift shaft? You should be able to find an old Gen 1 FZ1 shaft on the FZ1 site for small $. A lot of gen 1 guys like me are using the R1 shaft for a shorter throw.

When you mount the ZX12R peg assy on the brake side the wire for the master cylinder return spring neatly tucks up behind the mounting plate.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
                                J, That's good news I was sweating it. I'll get you the spacer info later today. Have you figured out what your going to do with the shift shaft? You should be able to find an old Gen 1 FZ1 shaft on the FZ1 site for small $. A lot of gen 1 guys like me are using the R1 shaft for a shorter throw.

When you mount the ZX12R peg assy on the brake side the wire for the master cylinder return spring neatly tucks up behind the mounting plate.
                                The master cylinder wire was my next question, I'll check out the FZ1 sight for the shaft..I actually had the machine shop cut me two sets of these and they have them on file so it saves on set up fees if anyone in interested in a set. They went on pretty snug is that how yours are?

Comment

Working...
                                X