No announcement yet.

Band/Gixer Conversion (week 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mocked up the rear sets and lined up the holes on the plates. I was able to create enough spacing to allow for the brake spring to pass behind the mounting plate. Finally ready to have them helicoiled so I can mount them.
    You can also see the Katana swing bolt mounts flush. I know this has been a marathon, just starting to feel normal again post crash.

Comment

A few more pics...

Exhaust should look really cool!!

Comment

Such beautiful detailing. Give my right arm for a set of those Ohlins shocks..mmmmmmm. Bike looks great!
        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Been kicking this chainguard thing around for awhile, I wanted something clean and some what un-noticeable...What do you guys think?

It needs Plasti-coat of coarse..

Comment

Perfect. Functional, and it'll practically dissapear when it's painted. Go for it. It's a nice touch.
            1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Bump...Thanks nvr, need to sand out the edges a little more and clean it up.

Comment

You do great work, this is one sweet bike. The chain guard looks perfect and the controls look like they were meant to be there!

When's the first ride?

Comment

Originally posted by CB900SS View Post
                  You do great work, this is one sweet bike. The chain guard looks perfect and the controls look like they were meant to be there!

When's the first ride?
                  THX man!

Im hoping to have it in running order by the 4th of July...maybe...

Comment

Can't take all the credit here, this build was inspired and modeled after Isleoman's fantastic machine..he gets all the kudos on the great looking machined parts. He allowed me to use some of his patterned work. Its been like putting a big puzzle together! I just added my own little bling here and there.

Comment

Its been like putting a big puzzle together! I just added my own little bling here and there.
                      Joe you are being too modest; looks great. I need to get my rear back in gear and get after mine

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                        Been kicking this chainguard thing around for awhile, I wanted something clean and some what un-noticeable...What do you guys think?

It needs Plasti-coat of coarse..

Check out this thread by Isleoman. He modified a Bandit 1200 chain guard for his conversion.

Last edited by Guest; 06-04-2009, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Kichigai
                          Yeah , Isleomans is an awesome fab, I have two Bandit chainguards in my garage that I boogered up trying to replicate his so I went the plastic route. Basically with a utility knife and some sand paper you can make a Gen II FZ1 guard work to just about any size you want.
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2009, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                            Mocked up the rear sets and lined up the holes on the plates. I was able to create enough spacing to allow for the brake spring to pass behind the mounting plate. Finally ready to have them helicoiled so I can mount them.
                            You can also see the Katana swing bolt mounts flush. I know this has been a marathon, just starting to feel normal again post crash.

Joe,

It's really starting to take shape, you do have a great attention to detail, a deep wallet, and an understanding wife apparently. Are you thinking of leaving the old shift shaft sticking out of the mounting plate like I did, or are you going to grind it off flush? Would look nice to remove it but I wanted ability to be able to go back to stock if somehing didn't work out.

Chain guard looks great too. Are you using a Gen II FZ1 guard? I thought I tried to mock up my Gen I FZ1 guard and the Bandit guard was easier to convert for me.

Comment

Isleo,

Probably will leave the shaft, I havn't done anything that is not reversible so far. The chainguard is from a stock Gen II, I had it laying around from my 06. The rear bolt hole lined up perfectly on the back side of the shock. I couldn't get it to look right it the front so I carved it down to a bikini guard. Easy to make and inexpensive.

Yeah the wife is a gem, she has here hobby and I have mine
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-07-2009, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Any suggestions on how I might mount the GSXR front master?

Comment

Working...
                                X