No announcement yet.

Band/Gixer Conversion (week 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just use some small aluminum flat and bend it so it can be mounted on the mirror pinch bolt or brake lever perch bolt. The hose will need to be shortened.

Comment

jwhelan65,

I like the exhuast that you have. How many ft pounds did you tighten the bolts to?

Thanks, Supavert

Comment

Believe the manual calls for 12 but double check...

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
          Believe the manual calls for 12 but double check...

Dan

You are correct Dan..

Comment

A little bump here, as the 700 project wraps up I have been collecting parts for the 1100 to get it back on track, for starters...

New set of 83 1100 clocks ( Thanks Russ! your swinger wll ship this week)

found a smaller 7inch headlight with a plastic housing to tighten things up a bit..

Complete 1150 oil cooler swap..

Comment

New tail cowl in excellent condition with all the mounting tabs intact ( Thanks Richie! )

Comment

That is a great build you have going. I am doing something similar I only hope mine comes out half a good as yours.

Comment

Originally posted by gsryder View Post
                  That is a great build you have going. I am doing something similar I only hope mine comes out half a good as yours.

Thanks, do you have a thread or some pics of yours?

Comment

Kinda no thread yet, mine has been in the cafe stage for the last year.

This winter it is going to become a fighter/cafe/muscle bike. Katana front end, GSXR rear swinger, slanted three spoke rims, 7/11 engine swap, and then a little turbo

I have allot of work to do but seeing your build gives me some inspiration, they wont be the same thing but I love a custom bike and yours looks sweet.

Comment

Excuse the delayed response..very nice... looking forward to your build

Comment

Joe,

Looks good, Now that you've got a tail with all tabs take a close look at your seat base and make sure that the sides of the seat won't be pushing down on either the side covers or the tail.

My rubber baby buggy bumpers on the bottom of my Corbin wore down over time and were applying pressure on the side covers. Unfortunately you can't see how much its dropping down from the weight of you sitting on it (unless you had your wife take a pic while your sitting on it). Hopefully your new Sargent won't need any adjustments.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
                          Joe,

Looks good, Now that you've got a tail with all tabs take a close look at your seat base and make sure that the sides of the seat won't be pushing down on either the side covers or the tail.

My rubber baby buggy bumpers on the bottom of my Corbin wore down over time and were applying pressure on the side covers. Unfortunately you can't see how much its dropping down from the weight of you sitting on it (unless you had your wife take a pic while your sitting on it). Hopefully your new Sargent won't need any adjustments.

I think your right because when I had the Corbin on there it was really tight on the cowl, which may have lead to the rear tabs braking off.

Comment

Well just a little bump here, with the 700 project behind me for the most part its time to blow the dust off the 1100 conversion and get it back on track. Here is the current state to bring this thread up to speed...

93 GSXR 1100 front end
                            Bandit front wheel (powder coated)
                            Race Tech Springs
                            AGM Top Triple Conversion
                            Gen II FZ1 Handlebars
                            Stock gauges
                            1150 oil cooler
                            Fabbed mounting rear set plates
                            ZX12R rear sets
                            Bandit swingarm, welded shock mounts, rear caliper
                            Bandit rear wheel
                            Pirelli Diablo's frt and rear
                            New set of Ohlins SU-143's
                            Swingarm powder coated
                            Sargents seat

Up next..my winter projects....

Frame powder coated
                            Bodywork sent off
                            Flatslides
                            New ignition
                            New harness
                            Rebuild the calipers
                            SS brake lines
                            Covers polished out

Last edited by Guest; 12-13-2009, 12:39 PM.

Comment

A few progression pics...

Comment

jwhelan65, Your bikes are LUSH.
                                Your 1100e was one of my inspirations early on. Have you had a chance to ride it yet with any of your changes?
                                I am noticing how incredibly easy it is to roll mine around on the radials now, I have a small lip, an inch or so high, going into my shop. Rolling my bike in before usually involved rocking it back and forth to get over this lip if I didn't have the momentum. Now it rolls over it like it isn't even there.
                                Anywho, I think it will be great to see you wrap up the 1100. Your attention to detail is phenomenal.
                                Cheers, Erick

Comment

Working...
                                X