Where to find a seat??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to find a seat??

I have just purchased a 1981 gs1000GL for $400. I am in the process of getting the bike going. It has the stepped seat on it and it is in great condition. I, however like to sit a little further back on the bike than the seat is designed for. I was wondering if anyone knows where i could find a flatter seat that would allow me to sit further back(cheap). The seat i have is in great shape. No tears at all. Maybe even trade to someone if possible. Any info would be great. Thanks.

I don't know how cheap you can find one, but look for Giuliari seat. The one I have is a fairly flat seat with a scoop up in the back end to catch your butt when the bike tries to climb out from under you after you roll back the throttle. I like my seat, so you can't have it, but I think I have some picture with it posted here somewhere, just look for my posts with pictures (bucketsofgs1000). Good luck,

-Zack

Comment

you can buy a seat pan and foam, from any used parts suppliers. then have it recovered, really cheap at a upholstery shop.

this way you can have your other seat as a back up.

Comment

seat

Had the same bike with that seat 2 yrs. ago. took it to an upholstery shop and had the foam cut down and recoverd for 15o.oo. Or do what is suggested above to keep your stock seat

Comment

Hard to find used seat, long wait at least.

The advice the from the other guys is good, but here is a DIY way.
          My bike came with the Double Bucket seat, damn ugly. Searched for a used seat, could not find one to fit. I got tired of waiting, so I pealed off the cover of the D-B, and cut the high parts of the foam off with a bread knife. I purchased a replacement cover from JC Whitney, the fabric looked 2nd rate, and I needed to cut more foam off to fit it. I could have done that, or spent some money for new Upholstery foam. I returned the cover, then went to a fabric store and found some very heavy, leather textured fabric for only $15 a yard. I cut it to fit in a basic shape, sewed the corners, stretched it over the seat and over the hooks already on the seat pan. Done, ready to ride, and rain proof, and comfortable.
          Bill
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I had an '82 GS1100GL , I hated the stepped seat and happened to run across a Honda "Twinstar" 185 seat at a swap meet. I made some very simple mounts and bolted it on, I think it flows with the lines very well and was much more comfortable. See!

Comment

Originally posted by sabreman-v65 View Post
              I had an '82 GS1100GL , I hated the stepped seat and happened to run across a Honda "Twinstar" 185 seat at a swap meet. I made some very simple mounts and bolted it on, I think it flows with the lines very well and was much more comfortable. See!
              That looks real neat, better than factory in my opinion. Especially considering the styling of the bike it came off that's a real result.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
              X