Modern wheels for an '82GS750?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modern wheels for an '82GS750?

I've got an '82 GS750T w/ the cast wheels. Are there any modern wheels that are a direct bolt up for this bike? If so, what year/model? If there are no direct bolt ups, how about something close? I've got the stock forks and swingarm.

Thanks!

I think you'll need to change the front end & at the very least mess with axle & sprocket spacers etc at the rear....

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I have a set of Katana and Bandit wheels in the shed that may just need to come in the shop for awhile. This would not be real modern but are wider and newer and have similar axle sizes.
      The things I am going to look at will be compatibility of disc spacing up front. And sprocket offset in the rear.

Comment

You won't be able to bolt the front wheel to a GS front end. For one the calipers will hit the spokes of the wheel and the axle on the GS is too small, there are no bearings you gan get to make up the difference. You pretty much have to switch forks to make it work. The rear is fairly easy without much modding.

Comment

It may take me a few days since I am quite busy with customer work but I see no problem changing front wheels. Right now the wheel I want to use is on a bike but maybe my helper can get the wheel off and I can do a trial fitting.
          For one the spokes on the later wheel are narrower than the GS wheel so caliper clearance is no concern. I may not have suitable discs here but that will be the second step anyway.

Comment

This is the wheel I intend to do my fitting with. Is this a suitable style to your thinking?

Comment

I have bought a 1994 GSXR front wheel to do a swap with. I should have it here late in the week and will install it in my 79 550.

Comment

Here is a 1994 wheel on my 1979 550. I started a thread for this up in the tech mod area.

Comment

Working...
                X