No announcement yet.

Tremclad Paint Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are you sure it's thinned with turpentine? I'd think varsol is what you'd use. Better check.

Comment

Originally posted by rkubik View Post
      are you sure it's thinned with turpentine? I'd think varsol is what you'd use. Better check.
      The paint cans say varsol or turpentine for cleaning & thinning, the primer can says turpentine only, so I went with turpentine...

Mark

Comment

I am curious, why are you brushing and rolling it instead of spraying it? It is only a bike and not very big, like a car.

Comment

Originally posted by Clone View Post
          I am curious, why are you brushing and rolling it instead of spraying it? It is only a bike and not very big, like a car.
          Read the Mopar thread on rolling Tremclad and look at the results.

Advantages of rolling:

1) No spray equipment required.
          2) No paint booth required (this is a huge deal for me, my garage is very full).
          3) Minimal odor/fumes given off.
          4) I can roll paint in my basement in winter when my garage is way too cold.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark M View Post
            Jmanz6,

I love the old 240Z's, they are my all-time favorite sports car. Great choice!

Mark
            They were one of my favorites too. Nissan never got the look quite right again until the 350Z. I wanted a 350 since they reintroduced the Z 6 or 7 years ago. We picked one up about 4 years ago and love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark M View Post
              Read the Mopar thread on rolling Tremclad and look at the results.

Advantages of rolling:

1) No spray equipment required.
              2) No paint booth required (this is a huge deal for me, my garage is very full).
              3) Minimal odor/fumes given off.
              4) I can roll paint in my basement in winter when my garage is way too cold.

Mark
              Many of the old cars were painted by hand then hand rubbed. You really can't tell the difference when it's done right.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                Many of the old cars were painted by hand then hand rubbed. You really can't tell the difference when it's done right.
                And, just think of asll that healthy upper body workout you'll be gettin!!!

Comment

Not tremclad but I used rustoleum to paint my 4x4 trail rig about 2 years ago. The basics to get a good hard coat is to properly thin the paint and put on multiple thin coats on it. I cant find a good picture of the truck clean and shiny as that rarely ever happens, it IS a trail truck after all.

The paint has held up to tree branch rubs, mudbanks, and even a deer collision. The metal didnt hold up that well but the paint did fine

Comment

Yeh, I know hand rubbing will work but isn't there a reason to use an electric polisher? Doesn't the heat of the buffing pad "burnish" the final coat making it more gas and chip resistant? I think I remember something about this in the past.

Nastyjones
                    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Just bumping this, I am finally getting some time to start tinkering with it. I said 6 weeks in my first post and that was Sep. 4, so I was only a couple of weeks out...

This week I will be cleaning up the side covers and shooting a light coat or two of semi-gloss black Tremclad spray bomb paint on the inner surfaces to provide a nice non-descript background to show off the new paint outside and avoid multiple colors being seen. I have also decided to pull my front fender and clean it up for paint at the same time. There is so little surface area to cover that I want enough to do each coat to justify getting a roller wet.

Results and pics to come as things happen. I did say this would be a slow process... Good thing it's a long winter.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                      X