No announcement yet.

my free gs1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone know whats the best way to get surface rust from the frame?

Comment

Correct, I do not have the final answer on that. I have a machine shop so I tend to make things work. I do not know when the chainline became wider or if you need offset front sprocket for the mid size rear wheels. Later this week I will be working on a rim swap on my 79 550 so I myself will be learning a bit there.
      If I am correct the 1000 has a wider spacing on the chainline and the difference can be made up in the sprocket carrier on the early bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Colt View Post
        Correct, I do not have the final answer on that. I have a machine shop so I tend to make things work. I do not know when the chainline became wider or if you need offset front sprocket for the mid size rear wheels. Later this week I will be working on a rim swap on my 79 550 so I myself will be learning a bit there.
        If I am correct the 1000 has a wider spacing on the chainline and the difference can be made up in the sprocket carrier on the early bikes.
        thanks bro your info is very helpful

Comment

I'm going against the grain on this Rooster....
          If this build is just a fun project bike, not your major form of transport,
          I say build a low slung drag bike!
          You always see Cafe's and Chop's or Bobber's.....throw 'em something really different that will turn some heads!
          Make it low and loud and long

example....

Seriously, how much fun would this be at the redlights???!!!!!

If that ain't in the budget, I'd say cafe style.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRooster View Post
            anyone know whats the best way to get surface rust from the frame?
            Strip it down and get it blasted and 2 pac painted.Get all the little brackets etc done as well.Surprisingly cheap and will come up like a new one.I stayed away from powder coating as that required cutting all the fiddly things(wiring harness bits etc) off the frame.I got the frame ,swingarm and 48 pieces done for less than $300.Cheers,Simon.
            http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by kenny p View Post
              I'm going against the grain on this Rooster....
              If this build is just a fun project bike, not your major form of transport,
              I say build a low slung drag bike!
              You always see Cafe's and Chop's or Bobber's.....throw 'em something really different that will turn some heads!
              Make it low and loud and long

example....

Seriously, how much fun would this be at the redlights???!!!!!

If that ain't in the budget, I'd say cafe style.
              looking to spend 500 or less. So I'm going to chop its the way im going.Going to make it different as much as I can but then again I could change my mine.

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
                Strip it down and get it blasted and 2 pac painted.Get all the little brackets etc done as well.Surprisingly cheap and will come up like a new one.I stayed away from powder coating as that required cutting all the fiddly things(wiring harness bits etc) off the frame.I got the frame ,swingarm and 48 pieces done for less than $300.Cheers,Simon.
                what is 2 pac paint? I never heard of it?

Comment

Chop away, but then again im a moron

Comment

Paint me pink an call me a moron too. Chopped mine w/out thinking twice. My only regret is I didn't arch the backbone.

Comment

this is were it is right now. its getting welded right now

Comment

did alot of chopping today... this is how far we got today

Comment

were we stop at for today

Comment

Not trying to inflame but you removed a LOT of the backbone structure. You planning on putting some of it back other than that skinny main backbone tube?
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                              Not trying to inflame but you removed a LOT of the backbone structure. You planning on putting some of it back other than that skinny main backbone tube?
                              I'm using the same tubes that Richharr use on his bobber project. These tubes are really beefy about 1/8 thickness. Keep in mind these are not the final welds and not done. Making a bobber out of the 1000
                              Last edited by Guest; 10-26-2008, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Go for it! Just be prepared for the backlash from all the purists. One more thing, make it your own, do it the way you want, not the way that everyone else is doing it. Good luck and keep us posted(w/pics of course)...

Comment

Working...
                                X