GS1000G shaftie cafe racer????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000G shaftie cafe racer????

I fell in love with the cafe racer years ago and have decided to turn my 1980 GS1000G into one. I noticed that front forks on my bike are different than other chain drive models. I understand that the G model was designed as a sport tourer and wonder if the frame is also different. I have searched for the answer but to no avail. Does anyone have frame specifications in order to make comparisons? How would the handling dynamics change if I were to switch front forks?

It should be known that the changes are for looks as I do not plan on racing the bike. I find the forks on the chian drive models to be more appealing.

Here is a pic of my bike to show the style of forks I am referring.

Those are L model forks not G model forks. The frame will be different too. You'd be better off starting with a G (not GL) or E model than trying to modify that one....

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      Those are L model forks not G model forks. The frame will be different too. You'd be better off starting with a G (not GL) or E model than trying to modify that one....

Dan

Thanks Dan for the information but I looked at the model number on the frame, behind the headlight, and found it to read GS100G followed by 6 numbers.

I aggree with what you have said now that I have looked closer at http://www.suzukicycles.org/GS-series/index.html

Is there info on how to decipher the serial number located on the frame and motor? Are they supposed ot match like that of a car?

Comment

Not really.

By the turn signals (if stock) we can see it's a 1980, by the seat & forks we can see it's an L. As it's a shaftie it must be a G so: 1980 GS1000GL is your model...
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

It would be easier to make it more chopper like or slimmed down cruiser. All of these L cafes just don't work right. Tear drop tank and leading link forks don't go well with cafe racer look.

Comment

From what I can tell thus far is that the frames are the same from L to E to T. G Is shaft so GL Is a shaft L. They could be the same frame as well.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
              Not really.

By the turn signals (if stock) we can see it's a 1980, by the seat & forks we can see it's an L. As it's a shaftie it must be a G so: 1980 GS1000GL is your model...

Thanks for the clarification as I am becoming better acquinted with these bikes!

Comment

Originally posted by badbrown View Post
                It would be easier to make it more chopper like or slimmed down cruiser. All of these L cafes just don't work right. Tear drop tank and leading link forks don't go well with cafe racer look.

I totally agree, and have been thinking about switching forks if I can find some cheap. I am just not sure how the different forks will handle with the different rake?

Comment

From what i see in the picture in the first post, and especialy the framerails under the seat, it more looks like a GS1000G witch they converted into a "L" with seat, tank and forks.
                  I could be wrong though, (or need new glasses )
                  Ed

Comment

bo :
                    pull that baby out in the sun and take some more pictures...this is getting interesting!

Comment

A shaft drive cafe racer goes against everything that is cafe. You cant change the gearing, they are heavy, and, IMO the above is right about the L style. You cant make it look good "cafinated"

Comment

FWIW, one of the major bike mags, Cycle Guide(?), did a cafe project using a GS1000G or 1100G many yrs back. They installed an S fairing and "updated" the suspension. The bike came out great and made me want to do the same someday. I wouldn't start with an L model for some of the reasons previously stated, but wouldn't hesitate to use a G. As to not being able to change the gearing.....that wouldn't bother me. Just my .02 worth.
                        Willie in TN
                        Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                        '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                        '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                        '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

G as in gaffe

Really, don't hesitate, don't stop.
                          I wanted to turn my 1100G into a cafe when I got it. I put one of those cheapo "Cafe Fairings" on it. Then I got it, it was dumb looking, I tossed it out. But without using a plastic "Cafe Fairing", you can make a great looking bike.
                          You can start by selling that chopper style seat, and handlebars, then start fabricating stuff. The whole cafe movement was about fabricating your own lightweight, high performance body parts.
                          Bill
                          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                            The whole cafe movement was about fabricating your own lightweight, high performance body parts.
                            Bill
                            SO TRUE!!!! It's not Cafe if you haven't made stuff yourself. It doesn't have to look elaborate or fancy. That's the beauty of Cafe, simple but effective. It's SUPPOSED to look like you made it in your garage. But seriously, ditch the seat and front end. Would be nice to have a chain, but I guess ya gotta work with what ya got.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                              A shaft drive cafe racer goes against everything that is cafe. You cant change the gearing, they are heavy, and, IMO the above is right about the L style. You cant make it look good "cafinated"
                              I have to disagree here. The spirit of those bikes was to work with what you had. Will it look like a stripped down Norton when he's done? No. Bear in mind though, that ultimately it is about applying a creative solution to what you have because there isn't a catalog that you can order parts from. So go for it man! You may come up with something even cooler than a "cafe" bike. Be original. No offense to anyone here, but anyone can buy clip-ons and a humpback tail-section. Those bikes all look the same and it is getting just a cliche as any other style of bike that gets popular. Personally, I prefer those who are willing to work on the fringe.

Comment

Working...
                              X