Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

very nice project.

Comment

Well it's been a while since my last update....but hey - here's some progress!
      Finally got the FZR wheels on (with the GSX250 front end). I gotta tell ya - it was a P.I.T.A. The axles between the FZR and GS were different sizes, so I had to search for new wheel bearings with the inner dia of the GS and outers of the FZR wheels. Which was OK for the rear, but the front was an "odd" size bearing which was going to be about US$50 EACH.....(!!).....so I ended up going for a larger inner diameter bearing (IE cheaper) and made a sleeve for the axle. The only reason I persisted with the swap was because I already had the wheels sitting in my garage.....

And the front end swap involved a stem swap and swapping the forks around to fit the RHS caliper off the FZR (the GSX caliper was LHS). It all kinda worked out in the end

Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

I found another tank off a GS650 which looked like it might fit - and was more rounder / retro than the boxy 450 tank (on the left). I didn't get any keys with the tank, but I took it to a locksmith who sprung the lock....and the inside had NO rust....

Also bought a Ducati SS style seat off eBay for a decent price from a local fibreglasser. It's pretty good quality.
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)

Comment

And here's the mock up pics

Current:

Past:

Comment

Oh, and finally for today, I made up a bracket to mount the FZR caliper to the GSX fork. I might trim this down a bit, but I like to err on the side of caution when it comes to this "safety" stuff...

Next will be to wield the trusty grinder on all the unnecessary brackets, join the rear rails "horse shoe" style, fit the tank and seat, and........Oh God I feel tired just thinking of it....
            Current:

Past:

Comment

Very nice Hillsy.

Where are you located?

Comment

interested in how that seat fits. have any more pics of it on the frame?

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
                  Very nice Hillsy.

Where are you located?
                  I'm in Brisbane.

Err, where's Bulahdelah ??
                  Current:

Past:

Comment

Originally posted by jed.only View Post
                    interested in how that seat fits. have any more pics of it on the frame?
                    I haven't fitted it to the frame yet - I just sat it on the rails for the pics. That's one of the trickier jobs on the list....
                    Current:

Past:

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                      I'm in Brisbane.

Err, where's Bulahdelah ??
                      200km north of Sydney.

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                        I haven't fitted it to the frame yet - I just sat it on the rails for the pics. That's one of the trickier jobs on the list....

i meant over the framerails. as in, how it sits.

Comment

Originally posted by jed.only View Post
                          i meant over the framerails. as in, how it sits.
                          Oh, OK - my bad

The width of the seat unit is almost spot on with the GS frame along the seat part (I measured this before I looked on eBay), however it tapers in from where the hump starts to the rear - but the GS frame rails stay straight.
                          I plan to taper the frame in at the rear to match the seat unit (I have a welder and i'm not afraid to use it )
                          Current:

Past:

Comment

what size/model clip ons?

Comment

Have you solved the tank mounting yet?
                              Thanks for the idea of the 650 tank.

JF

Comment

Originally posted by Richharr View Post
                                what size/model clip ons?
                                The clip-ons are a set I had on my old 1100EF. I bought them when I was in Tokyo a few years back. Oddly enough, the 1st gen Katanas, GS(X)750/1100's, EF's and GSX250F's all share 37mm forks....
                                Current:

Past:

Comment

Working...
                                X