Hillsy's GS 450 cafe build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hillsy,

Love those low and straight pipes. Also love the loop at the rear of the frame. I don't know why everyone who does a cafe build doesn't do that.

Keep up the good work!

Comment

Cheers fellas - I hope to get more time in on this build soon and will post more pics
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

So I had to move the fuel tap forward to clear the frame (GS650 tank on GS450 frame is not a perfect fit .....)

So I pulled out the big old soldering iron that I inherited from my dad:

To get some perspective of the size of the thing, that's the fuel tap near the bottom of the pic

And it's got a great name.....

So anyway, I didn't get any before pics (sorry ), but here's the end result:

I basically made up a new mounting plate (with nuts welded in) and a cover for the old tap hole. I cut a new hole for the re-postioned mounting plate and soldered both of them in. I'd considered getting out the propane torch, but I was a bit wary that the tank still had some fumes in there, so the soldering iron did the trick safely

And the tap just clears the carbs now (but clear is clear ):

I've started making a "frame" to mount the seat unit to (and then mount to the frame), but it turned out a bit....awkward..... so I'm considering mounting the seat unit with some hinges and some sort of clasp (I want easy access to the underseat electrical area). Hmmm - going to think a bit more about that one
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)

Comment

Do the lights dim all over town when you fire that soldering iron up?
          That thing is AWESOME!

Comment

Great project!

Any new updates?

Comment

I'm liking this! Great line with the 650 tank (a natural) and that seat.
              I'll keep checkin'

Comment

How did I miss this build. Your bike looks sweet. Keep it up.

Charlie G
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I love it! Can't wait to see how your project is progressing! Waiting for more pictures is torture

Comment

Come on Hillsy, 'fess up, time for an update!

The way mine's going it's possible I'll be on two wheels by maybe March next year... would be good to be able to get a pair of unique 450's out for a ride!
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                      Come on Hillsy, 'fess up, time for an update!

The way mine's going it's possible I'll be on two wheels by maybe March next year... would be good to be able to get a pair of unique 450's out for a ride!
                      Well, it's all in many bits at the moment (has been for some time actually ).

I've welded a plate in under the rear hoop to house all the electrics and stuff, and I'm working out a neater way of mounting the seat unit, but things have been slow in the garage with other stuff going on (work, kids, blah blah).

Hopefully I will get some time to work on it some more after Xmas and post some more pics - but I did say from the start it was going to be a SLOW project
                      Current:

Past:

Comment

Haha I understand... completely. Mine'll be 9 years since I rode it next year, and 5 years since I started dismantling... now that's what I call slow!

Sound like you've at least got a little done which is always a good start.

I'm finally getting along with mine, although hitting a little wall with the valves at the moment.
                        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Looking good Hillsy,
                          I only just found this thread.
                          Question:
                          What wire did you use to "solder" the plate in for the fuel tap?
                          Look forward to some more pics.
                          Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by landshark View Post
                            Looking good Hillsy,
                            I only just found this thread.
                            Question:
                            What wire did you use to "solder" the plate in for the fuel tap?
                            Look forward to some more pics.
                            Cheers.
                            I have no idea what type it is - it was left over with the soldering iron I inherited from my dad (I remember as a kid watching him use it to solder in a new base in our home's hot water system header tank. To this day I still think that was a pretty amazing thing to watch someone do).

Anyways, it's pretty thick soldering wire - about 3mm - and it has no flux in it (I also inherited an old tin of flux).
                            Current:

Past:

Comment

Working...
                            X