Rear Fender swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Fender swap?

I have an '81 gs450, and I cannot stand all of the plastic parts that are on it. I'm trying to find a metal replacement rear fender. I've spotted a few on eBay from closer models, but I just want to make sure that they're the same width.

I found this one from a '79 550..

But the guy wont measure the mounting holes for me..

Does anyone know if there's variance in the width between these older models?

I wish I had the resources to fab my own!

I too have an '81 GS450 and am keen for the same info also... plus the PO has somehow taken a huge chunk out of the bottom of the rear plastic mudguard, so it needs replacing anyway.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

OK, I'll try with some measurements..

The inner width of the frame is 6". The distance between the front and rear mounting holes is 5". Does anyone know if their stock (metal) rear fender fits these measurements? I suppose the width is most important, because I could always drill new holes.

Anyone? Thanks!

Comment

Alright Pete, looks like it's just me and you.

One of the ebay sellers was kind of to reply with some good info. I guess there was an 81 GS450 model that had the metal rear fender, and this should fit as a replacement for the plastic one.

what model exactly do you have? mines an EX... I'll let you know once I pick one up if it fits..

Comment

Uhh...fellas...the METAL rear fenders are off "L" models. Cruisers. You try to stick them under your tail, and they're gonna look, well, gay. I know on the larger bikes, the black plastic mudguard/license bracket can be removed, just leaving the tail piece. Then you can fab some sort of bracket to hang your plate from. If you pull your tail plastic off, you'll see, if they are anything like the bigger bikes, that the inner rear fender is actually two pieces. Perhaps you could simply bend some sheet metal to your liking...but you're gonna be disappointed if you try to stick an "L" fender on there...its not going to look right at all....

Comment

I think it might look very much like the Brit bikes, or the early CB750's. I'm interested in the end result.

What do you fellows plan for the rear of the seat? Without the "tail" there's going to be some wide open space back there.

Comment

cafekid, i'm afraid you're right..

after looking, the L frame is slightly shorter, and the mounting holes on the fender are much further forward.. on an EX, the fender would stick out awkwardly high and far out above the wheel. Thanks for saving me $30.

BUT.. I do think it would still look a lot better to have a lil chrome fender sticking under the tail than that cheesy plastic. Just gotta figure something out.

Same with the side panels.. f**king hate plastic...

Comment

I figured the L model would be a bit different on the back end, but have never seen one.

Over here in Oz it seems that only the E and S models are about, I've never seen an L in my life.

I have other plans for my 450 that don't involve keeping the stock ducktail, and a metal mudguard (sorry, fender) like on the Bonnevilles, early Ducatis, and the like would suit exactly what I'm trying to achieve eventually. :-)

sigpic

Comment

I've being trying (rather passively) to get rid of my plastic rear fender on my 78 550 for a while. Why chrome front plastic back? I just don't get it... Anyway, I was looking at the fisches on bike bandit and the holes do look different, but when I was comparing some on ebay, I think it could be done. A little modding of the L rear light and license assembly and maybe returning some parts of the plastic fender to attach the rear tail to, and you might be able to have a franken chrome rear fender.

I'm going to check my local wrecker and see what I can do when I have some time (hahaha)

Comment

awe heck, a little bit pf patience and fiddling you can pull it off, but would it be worth it??? why not just go buy an L?

Comment

Because what I want looks nothing like an L :-)

Mind you, I think over here the the good ol' land down under that L's are hard to come by, I've only ever seen E's and S', never a T or L that I'm aware of.

Mind you I saw a very nice example of a GS1000 GK over the road from work at the servo today, don't see many of them either.

sigpic

Comment

i have not read this thread. and with that being the case, I would like to offer up my L fender. fifteen dollars plus shipping.

Comment

I dont think it would look bad at all. It would kind of look like a gs750t.

Comment

Working...
                          X