Busa blue for a GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Busa blue for a GS?

My 81 GS-1100 was knocked over this summer and requires repair and paint.
    Recently saw an 08 Busa with beautiful dark blue paint.
    According to the ColorRite website its YKZ candy indy blue
    Has anyone used this color?
    Any thoughts on how it would look on a GS?

Thanks
    Jim

Thats a nice blue....but that black is cool too. Are you gonna do the wheels also? That would look sweet.

Comment

I haven't used that color but I second it would look good as well. The blue n white contrast would probably work well as well, I owned a 83 BMW R100RS which was painted metallic blue and I painted the wheels white and it turned out well.

The drawback of those dark metallic colors is they generally highlight any imperfections in the sun.
      Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

Comment

nice bike! nice fairing/windscreen! how bout a couple more photos!!!

Comment

Thanks for th input.
          Blue wheels would look good. Hmmmmm
          The windscreen was broken also and I couldn't find an original Pichler replacement.
          Gustafsson Plastics in Florida came up with a windscreen to match the fairing.More of a bubble shape than the original but a good quality piece.
          Can't wait to try it out.
          These pics show the fairing lowers mounted.
          However they are a pain. They have to come off for oil changes and make it impossible to clean around the engine.

Comment

Man, I LOVE that seat !!! I have an '80 and that's the exact style I'm looking for. Who did that for you and any extra info you can give me on that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

btw, that is one awesome bike !!

Don

I just now noticed the front end work. Give us some detail on that too. I'm going to be headed that direction eventually.

Comment

The front half of the seat foam came from an 83 GPZ 750 seat.The back half is original but trimmed (with my wife's electric carving knife) to match. The 2 sections of foam were glued together with contact cement.Welded some sheetmetal to the front of the seatbase to match the contour of the GPZ seatfoam.
              Found a picture of a Sargent cycle seat that I liked and brought the seat and pic to a local car upholstery/glass repair shop.
              Would have bought a finished seat but couldn't find one for the 80-81 model".

Used the entire front end from a 85 GSXR 750.Tripletree,18" wheel,brakes and fender.Also rear wheel and brake.
              Made adapter blocks that bolt to the top tree so tube handlebars could be used. Also welded pins to the lower tree for steering stops. Made short threaded fork tube extensions to make the fork length the same as original.
              The 18" front wheel makes the bike turn easier and doesn't seem to affect stability.Finding fork springs to suit the heavier weight of the GS took some looking. Finally settled on Honda Hurricane springs from progressive suspension.

Jim

Comment

Nice work on your GS, and that is a beautiful shade of blue on the 'busa. IMHO, it is largely the gold accents on that bike that really make it pop though.....if you could re-do your emblems and possibly the wheels in gold, it would look great on the GS as well. We have some pretty adept members here who might whip up a Photoshop image to give an idea of the finished look, if you ask.

Tony.
                '82 GS1100E

Comment

You did a great job on that bike !!! looks very nice , is the fairing something stock or aftermarket it seems to fit the bike very well.
                  I like the GSXR fork setup works great and easy to do,thanks for the tips , Cheers , Bob

Comment

Wow,
                    That is a nice bike, looks like you did a great job !!!
                    I don't think it would make what color you choose, that is a sweet bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                      Nice work on your GS, and that is a beautiful shade of blue on the 'busa. IMHO, it is largely the gold accents on that bike that really make it pop though.....if you could re-do your emblems and possibly the wheels in gold, it would look great on the GS as well. We have some pretty adept members here who might whip up a Photoshop image to give an idea of the finished look, if you ask.

Tony.
                      I agree on both that your bike loks nice as is.. but also the busa blue with the gold rims would be sweet too..

Comment

Working...
                      X