Suicide shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suicide shifter

I think this is the right spot to post this question...
    I am curious to see if anyone has a gs that they have a suicide shifter on.
    Or if anyone can direct me to the proper way of installing and operating one.
    Thanks for any help.

Suicide shifters are called what they are called for a reason. They belong on neatly restored old vintage bikes like Harley Davidson WLA's.

On a 'modern' fast bike you'd have to be mad. You may as well just go and lay in front of a semi now.

Comment

Just to put a finer point on this. The bike pictured has a tank shifter. Suicide shifters were more generally considered to be the ones attached directly to the transmission and the guy had to reach down under his butt to to shift. So, are you talking about installing a "tank" shifter, or a "suicide" shifter? Two completely different looks and I would say two completely different methods. I don't think there is a proper way to install one on a GS. I think any brand of bubble gum and bailing wire that you prefer should be acceptable.

Comment

it can be done, check out "thechopperunderground.com". Personaly I don't feel this looks right on our bikes, but it's your bike. The clutch cable would be the only part that would take much thought. The actual shifter would be welding whatever shape you like to the box end of your shift lever. Post pics if you go ahead with this. We do love pics!

Comment

In Australia any shifter that requires you to remove one hand from the handlebars (such as this one) is called a suicide shifter.

Comment

The Lemoore Crud must have gone to your head.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
              In Australia any shifter that requires you to remove one hand from the handlebars (such as this one) is called a suicide shifter.
              In spite of what I said, I personally agree with your definition. I've met many chopper purists who dispute the differences. Either way it is pretty dumb and "suicidal" in my book to take your hands off of the bars top shift.

That said, I think the difference is important in terms of what the OP is trying to accomplish. I would say that mounting a shifter gate and linkage to a gas tank versus just welding on some brackets somewhere on the frame requires a completely different level of skill. Chopperunderground is definitely the place to seek that knowledge out. Don't limit your search to the GS and you'll probably find what you are looking for. In concept, it should be the same for any Japanese bike. Search Chopper Underground for "Jockey Shift". Here are a coupleof pictures that I lifted from there. As you see. You can get as ridiculous as you want to with this.

Last edited by Guest; 11-26-2008, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
                They're known around here as the same thing.
                or at least they were when I was growing up.

that WWII HD, looks just like the one my uncle had around '69-70.
                it does bring back memories!
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, I have been looking at a few different directions to go with this bike and I think its gonna get bobbed .
                  I had posted up previously wanting info on doing a cafe job on it but it looks like I would be better off doing a bobber.
                  I kinda expected some negativity about the suicide shifter, but since the bike is an 'L' model, I'm already used to the negativity!
                  I am looking at starting into this project this weekend and plan on posting up pics here since it is a GS.
                  See ya soon

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    The Lemoore Crud must have gone to your head.
                    Oh man, you don't wanna go there do you?!?!?
                    LOL

Comment

Ouch! Dont miss the shifter!

Comment

Originally posted by Splittie View Post
                        Oh man, you don't wanna go there do you?!?!?
                        LOL
                        No thanks, I've been there.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          No thanks, I've been there.
                          So I take it you're a navy boy?

Comment

Originally posted by Splittie View Post
                            So I take it you're a navy boy?
                            Used to fly parts, mail, coffeepots, etc. for a few of the squadrons from Lemoore when they went to Nellis or someplace to shoot down air force punks for a few weeks.
                            Flying into your kneewalking fog was fun.

Prior to that, was in the Navy, but never heard of Lemoore.

Comment

Nobody's talking about the left foot clutch pedal you'd have to rig up.

Like the nice rusty one with the chain in the pic.

Comment

Working...
                              X