polishing methods... which way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by midnightcafe View Post
    okay, so I went 220, 400, 600, emery cake, tripoli, white rouge on the sprocket cover. I know it's not perfect, but what do you think?
    Looks great man! ok what is emery cake? tripoli? white rouge?..sounds like a wine tasting party

Comment

Originally posted by PAULYBOY View Post
      Did you use a buffing wheel on that? I notice a definite vertical grain running through the piece. If you buff out with glaze and a wool or microfiber pad, you'll get rid f that too with out getting to the chrome look.
      As an aside, my previous comment about Abralon has netted me some jobs getting rid of haze and fog on polycarbonate lenses, and I managed to polish deep road rash out of a couple turn sognal lenses off the sons old bike.
      Yep used a buffing wheel, leaves a distinct hazy grain. I'm trying some Mothers aluminum polish on the cases, turns out pretty clean.

My tripoli wheel shows color pretty quick now- after a couple minutes it goes gold so I have to clean it more often (hit it with a hacksaw) which probably takes some life out of it judging by the pile of string on the floor. When should you replace your wheels?

Comment

Originally posted by midnightcafe View Post
        When should you replace your wheels?
        I replace mine when they get too small. A smaller wheel has a lower surface speed and will take longer to get the job done. Since I don't have an extension on the motor shaft, a small wheel also allows the work to get too close to the motor, possibly causing scratches when it hits. I only use one grade of compound on my wheel and don't really clean it that often, but I get pretty decent results. Maybe you are cleaning yours too often?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          I replace mine when they get too small. A smaller wheel has a lower surface speed and will take longer to get the job done. Since I don't have an extension on the motor shaft, a small wheel also allows the work to get too close to the motor, possibly causing scratches when it hits. I only use one grade of compound on my wheel and don't really clean it that often, but I get pretty decent results. Maybe you are cleaning yours too often?

I'm with steve on this one. I don't clean my wheels much at all. If your part that you're polishing is clean (free from dirt and grease) then there should be almost no build up on the wheel. If you use paste or liquid compounds, not only does it make a mess, but your wheel gets all bunged up in no time.

If you have a 6 inch bench grinder, get bigger wheels. Like 8 or 10 or 12 inch. You'll need a little sleeve to put on the shaft to keep things centered. I use the little plastic bushings that came with sets of shocks, they work perfectly. The bigger wheels will raise the surface speed even more, and you can use the wheels longer. I find it's harder to kill the motor too because of the increased flywheel effect. So it's a win win situation. But don't take my word for it, try it!

Comment

Since everyone else is showing off the shiny stuff...
            Pic doesn't do it justice.

I had good luck with www.eastwood.com products.
            However, the last order of buffs I had trouble with their 4" rounds coming apart. I don't know why. Pop 'em in the same as always, give it a spin and the threads just start flying off. They replaced the buffs for free and the replacements did the same. They claim I'm the only one who had this happen. I still don't know why it's happening. Guess I'll shop for buffs elsewhere. I have had good results with their other buffs and compounds though. Tripoli with a tighter sewn buff if deeper removal is needed, white rouge with a loose sewn buff for final polish.
            I too have trouble from time to time when polishing. When to add compound...when to clean...when a buff is too worn...One basic rule is to not buff in the same direction all the time. Make a pass and then make the next pass at a 90 degree angle to the previous one.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

wheels

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
              Since everyone else is showing off the shiny stuff...
              Pic doesn't do it justice.

I had good luck with www.eastwood.com products.
              However, the last order of buffs I had trouble with their 4" rounds coming apart. I don't know why. Pop 'em in the same as always, give it a spin and the threads just start flying off. They replaced the buffs for free and the replacements did the same. They claim I'm the only one who had this happen. I still don't know why it's happening. Guess I'll shop for buffs elsewhere. I have had good results with their other buffs and compounds though. Tripoli with a tighter sewn buff if deeper removal is needed, white rouge with a loose sewn buff for final polish.
              I too have trouble from time to time when polishing. When to add compound...when to clean...when a buff is too worn...One basic rule is to not buff in the same direction all the time. Make a pass and then make the next pass at a 90 degree angle to the previous one.
              In the process of doing the stock wheels on a GS 700...I started out with a good cleaning..started with 350 - 400 - 600 - 1000 - 1500. They look good but I think they could be better...obviously a liitle tough to do with a bench grinder....what did you use? ..yours look incredible..

Comment

Joe, I did mine for the cafe in the bench grinder. Yes, it was a little complicated, but it still worked well, as you can see.

(excuse all the finger print smudges )

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                  In the process of doing the stock wheels on a GS 700...I started out with a good cleaning..started with 350 - 400 - 600 - 1000 - 1500. They look good but I think they could be better...obviously a liitle tough to do with a bench grinder....what did you use? ..yours look incredible..
                  I sanded by hand up to 2000 grit, then used Mother's with a 4" buff in my hand drill. Most all my pieces were done that way except for the swingarm which I started with a D/A sander. But I have just acquired a bench polisher... can't wait to play with it!

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                  79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by rudy View Post
                    Joe, I did mine for the cafe in the bench grinder. Yes, it was a little complicated, but it still worked well, as you can see.

(excuse all the finger print smudges )

Looks great Rudy! What kind of black paint did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                      I sanded by hand up to 2000 grit, then used Mother's with a 4" buff in my hand drill. Most all my pieces were done that way except for the swingarm which I started with a D/A sander. But I have just acquired a bench polisher... can't wait to play with it!

Bruce, what kind of black paint did you use?

Comment

Gloss black engine enamel.
                        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Looks great Rudy! What kind of black paint did you use?

Used VHT wheel paint and clear. Wicked awesome stuff!! I actually had brake fluid puddle on the painted part of the rim from the banjo bolt that I forgot to tighten all the way. Paint didn't lift, wrinkle, dull or anything. Made to resist chips as well. I must say though, you have to follow the directions on the can to the letter or you'll end up with a mess. A buddy of mine did it wrong and ended up sanding everything down again.

Comment

Paint

Spray or brush on?

Comment

I had the stock machined finish polished out by a polishing shop. They were then masked and powdercoated gloss black. It was 9 years ago but the price was really fair, about $75 for the polishing and $65 for the powdercoat, each wheel. No way I'd do it myself for that price. Plus they came out looking truly better than factory.
                              The rest of my bike I polished myself. Cases, fork legs, etc. Everything black on the bike is powdercoating too.
                              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                              X