79 GS 1000 Chop/Prostreet Hardtail, "The Dirty One"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS 1000 Chop/Prostreet Hardtail, "The Dirty One"

Picked this beast up back in February for $400, it is a 79 Suzuki GS 1000. I have decided to create mild chopper/prostreet bike as cheap as possible. Here is a few pics from the ride home:

A few pics of the tear down, and of the gang:

A couple beers and hours later:

Comment

The plan is to use the front end, wheels, brakes and engine along with the neck of the frame and create a super low (down in the weeds), stretched frame that sits 3 - 3 1/2" off the ground. I want to kick the front end out, possibly use a tracter seat pan and mount it via a few short shocks? Couple different bar options. Flat black and orange color combo? What do you guys think?

Comment

Helpers

Dude where do I find heplers like yours?? I usually have one hand on the bike holding it up, a wrench in the other hand and a screwdriver between my teeth. Then of coarse the socket I need is 8 feet away and the phone rings..doh!!

Great project gonna follow this one!!

Comment

Subscribed...

What's the state of the motor?

Comment

It is nice having good buddies to help, most of the guys at Ohio Cafe Racers and then my little brother the human fork lift. We get together every Wednesday evening and either go riding, or in the winter wrench on each others bikes and projects. One of the guys is working on a 650 Triumph bobber project, one a CB 350 twin race project for AHRMA, one just finished a CB 350 twin cafe project and my brother is reviving a 79 CB 750 SS. Good stuff.

I assume the motor is just fine, got her to run a bit before tearing down. I did a compression test and the numbers all came out within acceptable specs. She had around 12,000 miles on the clock, so planned on just polishing the covers and fresh coat of paint. Anything else you can think of that I should check?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Ed View Post
              Anything else you can think of that I should check?
              VALVE CLEARANCES. With 'only' 12,000 miles, I'll bet it's never been done.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

my 2008 winter project. prostreet project. z-1 don't forget the FAT rear tyre.
                SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

For starters, clean/rebuild the carbs and get some new intake boots and o-rings. They look to be originals and hard as a rock which will cause intake leaks. Take a look at Basscliff's site, lots of good info to get you started. http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

What's the story with the bike? How long has it been since it last run? Looks like it was gathering dust somewhere...looks a lot better since it had a bath.

Comment

looks like its gonna be a good project..

ill be watching.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Ed View Post
                      A few pics of the tear down, and of the gang:

A couple beers and hours later:

Any of those guys in those pics ever play in bands around Cols?? I swear I know a couple of em from somewhere....

TCK

Comment

From what I know the bike was last ran around a year ago, the battery died and the guy just parked this bike in a barn. You would not beleive the crap that was caked to this bike when I sprayed her down. Thank you for the suggestions, I had planned on checking the valves one I get the engine cleaned up and painted. This project will move slowly as I do not get to spend much time out in the garage.

Trippivot nice roller!

Here is some work from today, choppin is fun!

Now the fun starts.....

Comment

wow man you completely chopped it up.

this should be interesting

Comment

Was that Shiner Bock?

Comment

Uudfourty you are observitive it was Shiner Bock along with Natural Light and Mountain Dew, nothing is too good for my help!

My cousing and best friend live in Texas and got me hooked on the crap...

Comment

Working...
                              X