Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signals

Hey folks,
    Hopefully I'm going to be doing a complete re-wire next month.
    When I do, I'd love to swap out the old turn signals. You can look at pics of aftermarket turn signals all day long and still have no idea what they'll look like on your ride.

If you'd be so kind as to proudly throw up... or post, rather... some pictures of your rides that highlight aftermarket turn signals, I'd be much obliged.

Merry Christmas

Emgo lights from ebay. Think they were about $10 per pair. REALLY REALLY bright!!

Dual filaments, likely not what you're looking for, but got them off ebay as well. Don't remember what the brand was, but they're pretty good lights. Cast aluminum housing and pretty bright.

These ones are really bright as well. Small ones with a good little hemispherical reflector lense. Good visibility from the sides as well. Small size and well built. Think they were Emgo as well from ebay.

Can get some closer up pics if you need me to.

Rudy

Comment

Here's me n' the VX800 somewhere in Iowa or Wisconsin. Anyway, the turn signals are the little black plastic arrow-shaped Lockhart Phillips dealies you can get in any cycle shoppe for $15-$20/pair. Very bright, but the bulbs are these little weird stupid oddballs that you have to order (seriously), so it's easier to just buy a new set.

Another view showing the rear signal and bobbed fender. It's no longer very pretty on this side...

The VX800 came with these when I bought it -- I didn't originally install them. They're nearly invisible when not in use, which I guess was sort of the point. They are very bright when in use.

The stems are plastic and rubber, and they bounce back pretty well when accidentally kicked, wrecked, etc...

Personally, I'd go with a set of LED signals.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

Personally, I'd go with a set of LED signals.
        How about a loan?

Looking good so far.

Comment

Rudy, NICE XS650!! I regret selling my TX750 a few yrs ago and have had an XS650 on my Most Desired list for awhile. Nice!
          Willie in TN
          Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
          '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
          '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
          '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Originally posted by willie View Post
            Rudy, NICE XS650!! I regret selling my TX750 a few yrs ago and have had an XS650 on my Most Desired list for awhile. Nice!
            Willie in TN
            +1 for me on the 650 as well. Started back into motorcycling in 1976, after a twelve year absence, with a '74 Yamaha TX-650A, burgundy brown colour. Its 2nd from the top of my fairly lengthy "Wish I'd Never Sold It List". (First is my '83 GPZ-750).

Comment

Thanks for the good words guys! That little 650 gets a LOT of attention wherever I go. Even the Harley guys give the thumbs up, and the odd wave. Don't plan on selling it anytime soon. Now, the cafe on the other hand.....

Comment

My first three street bikes were XS650s. Easy to work on and dependable as hell.
                Vibrate like heck over seventy though. I had my 1970 up to 110. My body is still pulsing from that one.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

When I built my Skunk, I first bought these:

They were chromed plastic, and I didn't like the arrow shape. I wanted some rectangular ones. So I later bought these:

They are made by Emgo, I think, and they are aluminum. I stripped the clearcoat off of them and polished them. I like them much better. If you do a search for aluminum short stalks, they are on ebay. IIRC, they were about 20 bucks a pair.
                  85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                  79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

I found them:

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Those look nice!

Comment

1979 gs 550 led turn signal replacements

hi there,
                        so i just got a set of those 'arrow head' leds from ebay to replace the stock turn signals on my 79 gs550e. i want to put them on this weekened, but i'm not too techically savvy with motorcycles yet. what do i need to remove/rewire in order to put these on? (ie do i have to remove the seat and headlight to get to the wires?) is this too much of a task for a green horn like me or would you recommend i take this someplace and have them install them? any help is very much appreciated. thanks!!

Comment

Very easy. The headlight has two phillip screws on both sides near the botom of the headlight ring. Take these out to remove the headlight.
                          A 12mm box wrench will remove the nut holding on the turn signal. If the new turn signals have a ring and a bullet connection the ring grounds to the stalk of the new signal under the nut holding it on. The other one hooks to where the other one came off of. If there are two bullet the black is positive and the one with the white stripe is ground.
                          The seat will need to be removed to do the back.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                          X