Ammunition Case as Hard bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ammunition Case as Hard bags

Decided to use some ammo boxes as hard bags.

http://s485.photobucket.com/albums/r...nition%20Case/

Started welding the frame out of 1/16th inch tick by 3/4 inch mild steel square tubing.

The frame utilizes the rear signal light bracket as the top mount and the alluminum rear peg mount as the bottom mount.

Frame wraps around the rear tire in order to mount a smaller ammo box below the license plate.

To lock the side boxes i'll use a 5/8" solid steel bar to slide through the stock helmut lock, a notch will be cut to stay locked photos to follow.

Anyone else done this to their GS ?
    Last edited by Guest; 01-19-2009, 01:19 AM.

I had thought about using those ammo cases, but they weigh a ton, not to mention the frame that I would need to support them. I used 3/16 X1 flat steel to make my support frame. Signal light, hand grip bolt, and foot peg bolt. I use universal plastic cases.

Comment

I saw the universal plastic ones but they were pricey comapred to these.

I didn't find the weight to be that much although plastic is lighter.

Got pics of your boxes?

Comment

Head over to this thread it's got pics

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=124796

Comment

I have those on my v strom, but I was able to buy some swmototech univeral mounts and then just bolt the cans on. great luggage even if heavy. with some cheap hasps and pad locks very ******* proof, unlike soft luggage or anything you ccan beat open with a hammer I use mine for going places like manhattan and mexico. the down side to using them in mexico is...mexican army surplus equipement is illegal to own by mexicans or americans, so the cases get looiked at and searched at every army check point. its important to leave the english stenciling intact so no one thinks they are mexican army cases.

http://www.willycrash.smugmug.com/ga...43344607_k8noY

Comment

Originally posted by Clone View Post
            Head over to this thread it's got pics

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=124796
            Those look really good! looks like they came with the bike from the factory.

Comment

Update

I finished the exhaust turn downs i needed in order to redirect the exhaust flow downwards away from the bigger ammo box when mounted.

Not mega important to do this but i will paint the boxes either flat black or blue to match the original blue in the paint scheme, so if it's blue the exhaust would turn the bottom of the box black in no time.

Basiclly i ordered some 1 5/8 inch OD, 180 degree mandrel bent tubing from jc whitney, pricey but worked great.

Cut, fit, flux core welded the turn downs then painted them tonight. Will post pics tomorrow when the paint dries.

Tuesday i'll be making the the pieces that will hold the box to the steel frame i made. Essentially DOM thick wall tubing and 3/8 inch steel rod.
              Pics to follow.

Comment

So do the ammo boxes come off easily, or are they bolted on until emptied and removed?
                I have seen some really large paniers on the VStrom, I mean huge, but my question is what weight can you put in the boxes?
                I would like to know the measurements of the ammo boxes you use? Are those the 20mm cases?

Comment

You can pick those ammo boxes up at any surplus store they are 50cal boxes. I cant count how many of them I have thrown away. Especial when overseas we go though them like its cool.

Comment

I don't know how the mounts work with universal mount kits. But the kits i found were not going to work on my bike so i had to make a custom set up.

Mine will be able to come off easily, and be able to interchange from the 50 cal boxes to the smaller ones, by unlocking the helmut lock which releases the steel bar that will hold down the lid.

I'll post pics tuesday of the set up after i weld it. I like the ammo boxes because they are steel and waterproof. The 50 cal box measures 18" long, 14' high and 7" deep. The smaller box measures 12" long, 8" high and 7" deep.

They can be found online for between $5.00 for the small ones and $20.00 to $30.00 for the larger boxes. I found mine in a swap meet so i saved on shipping.
                    Last edited by Guest; 01-20-2009, 10:07 PM.

Comment

In the case of the sw motor tech(german) set up I use comes with either a sort of giant druise fastener or a locking fastener. in either case, I can get mine off the bike in about 1 minute.

www.thetwistedthrottle.com

my cans and the ones shown above in the 1st photo are actually 30mm mini gun cans. the .50 cal cans are smaller.

Comment

opps...www.twistedthrottle.com

Comment

I seem to be incapable of finding the 30mm ammo boxes, but I have seen the 20mm cases, they are pretty big, 29 litres capacity at least.

Comment

GQROD,
                            Cool set up but the ammo box that you are using is actualy for a M19 (mark 19) grenade launcher 48 rds. I had my gunner use them with my .50 cal in Iraq because our mount was made for either .50 or M19 so the ammo box carrier would hold that box which we could load around 200+ rounds compared to the 100 round box the .50 uses.

Comment

Sorry for any confusion on the box sizes,

Large box says 40mm on the side used for explosive projectiles.
                              Used by the coast guard.

Smaller box says 5.56mm

I have found them online though shipping makes these boxes somewhat pricey.

These boxes are great for me because it's easier to do prep for painting or if needed i can cut them and make them deeper by cutting and welding, they are very durable so even though they won't look as good as luggage style plastic ones, i like the durability of steel, i'm old school in that respect.

Gun shows are a good place to find the larger ones as well as the narrow ones. The 40mm i got i will still have to locate another one.

I'll be welding the mounting points tomorrow so hopefully i can post pics of that then it's time to start prepping for paint.

I posted pics of the exhaust turn down accessed through the link in my first post.
                              Last edited by Guest; 01-19-2009, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X