Ammunition Case as Hard bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
    I think you overestimate the air requirements when using impact wrenches. If you're not running them continuously (who does) or attempting to supply air for several tools run at the same time (who does again), then your compressor is more than adequate.

I doubt my compressor is any larger than yours and I have no problem running any tools - from impact to blast. You're not supplying air for many mechanics in a business - just yourself. You should be good.
    I heard and read horror stories about what to expect and having to get a 80 gallon monster just to shoot paint and air tools ( air tools i never use ) so i focused my efforts on finding something that would have enough cfm to run the spray gun.

At 90PSI this compressor only has 3.5 CFM so i'm not sure how well it would do for tools other than the stapler or nailer.

I'm glad to hear i'm not expecting too much from my set up thanks!
    Last edited by Guest; 04-01-2009, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mighty13d View Post
      Having the right setup makes working on stuff 50x times better. I have turned my basement into a workshop but since the walls leak and I'm only renting, I haven't done anything that's permanent. Don't forget about having ample lighting while you're at it. Next thing you know, you're going to have all your friends wanting to use your garage to work on their projects!!

LOL You are defienetly right about that, my neighbor very very nice guy is always working on his truck so i help him out when i can.

Seems like you have done a lot considering it's not permanent though!

And i agree the better the equipment the easier the work and the better the job will come out.

I have to do the best i can with what i have until things get better which is why some of the work is not always perfect but workable.

Comment

Originally posted by GQROD View Post
        I heard and read horror stories about what to expect and having to get a 80 gallon monster just to shoot paint and air tools ( air tools i never use ) so i focused my efforts on finding something that would have enough cfm to run the spray gun.

At 90PSI this compressor only has 3.5 CFM so i'm not sure how well it would do for tools other than the stapler or nailer.

I'm glad to hear i'm not expecting too much from my set up thanks!
        That's the compressor output, not the output from the storage tank. You'll be able to run air tools, just not continuously. You'll be fine.

Comment

That's the compressor output, not the output from the storage tank. You'll be able to run air tools, just not continuously. You'll be fine.
          Thank you very much for the advice i appreciate it!

Comment

Pic of $19.98 Gun i'll be using picked it up at Wally World, it's a convertable gun from Bleeder to Non bleeder, only fluid adjustment no air adjustment. But it will work for me ( painted four other cars with this gun ).

Pic also shows air regulator i picked up at Harbor Freight, $5.99, and a water filter picked up at auto body paint supply place $7.00, or $8.00 for two at PPG supplier. Both must haves !

If you can afford a better set up then definetly do it, however if you are on a budget then this is as cheap as it gets next to spray bombing.

Still can't shoot primer due to rain all week will update once progress is made.

I mentioned earlier i might go with a larger box for the 115V line and i did i also added another 4 outlet box down the line to the work bench for the bench top power tools, MUCH better this way.

An outlet strip would have been better but these are far more expensive than an outlet and box!

Last edited by Guest; 04-03-2009, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Looking good. What are you using for a spray booth?

Since I've moved to the mountains I can now spray anywhere I like, even the driveway. There aren't many bugs, but I'm looking at setting up some plastic sheeting in the garage anyway. I can vent the fumes directly outside too (no neighbors for 1/4 mile).

I'd like to hear how you're doing it.

Comment

Looking good. What are you using for a spray booth?

Since I've moved to the mountains I can now spray anywhere I like, even the driveway. There aren't many bugs, but I'm looking at setting up some plastic sheeting in the garage anyway. I can vent the fumes directly outside too (no neighbors for 1/4 mile).

I'd like to hear how you're doing it.
                Thank you very much for the support my only concern for everone doing this is...........

If you are spraying 2K URETHANE DO NOT SPRAY IN YOUR GARAGE !!!

NO MATTER HOW WELL YOU THINK THE FUMES ARE VENTED DO NOT TAKE ANY CHANCES WITH YOUR HEALTH !!!!!!!!!!!!

THE ISO'S WILL KILL YOU OR DAMAGE YOUR KIDNEYS OR MAKE YOU ALLERGIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be spraying outside in my driveway,

yes there will be bugs, drips, runs and overspray BUT, once you have cut your teeth painting with laquer like i was taught painting outside, then you don't have high expectations.

You learn quickly that you will have to do post sray color sanding, buffing etc to get the paint perfect.

This method works but it is more work and MUCH less costly than over $1000.00 setups plus $1000.00 compressors, home made spray booths which never go over too well with the spouses etc.

But it's safer and although more time consuming you still get a professional result, it's all in the prep work.

For $300.00 i wired the garage safely, got a new compressor, new gun, accessories,

For another $200.00 i got the paint supplies and safety respiratory equipment. The only way to do it any cheaper is to find a used compressor and lord only knows how long that would take on CL.

Plus all this equipment will be used for other paint projects so the cost is amortized over those projects paying for itself with each job. ( which is why i did not spray bomb the bags this would have cost under $100 )

It's also portable the compressor only weighs a little over 100lbs, so for me there were a lot of benefits to doing it this way for cost and portability reasons.

Wether you spray bomb or spend mega bucks on all the latest equipment do what is best for your skill level, budget, and living conditions and you won't regret the effort you put into your projects.

Hopefully my project shows what can be done for relatively little money or inspire others to get the biggest and best for their ride.

Comment

Thank you very much for the support my only concern for everone doing this is...........

If you are spraying 2K URETHANE DO NOT SPRAY IN YOUR GARAGE !!!

NO MATTER HOW WELL YOU THINK THE FUMES ARE VENTED DO NOT TAKE ANY CHANCES WITH YOUR HEALTH !!!!!!!!!!!!

THE ISO'S WILL KILL YOU OR DAMAGE YOUR KIDNEYS OR MAKE YOU ALLERGIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  I have a respirator, so the fumes aren't a problem. I also don't have neighbors so venting directly outside isn't an issue either.

You'll be painting outside - ok. Just wondering because, while I've done that in the past, bugs occasionally land on my work.
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-03-2009, 12:40 PM.

Comment

So long as you are safe then a spray booth is the best thing it will keep all the bugs and dust out !

I'm spraying outside so i expect a lot of surprises-lol

But i've sprayed outside and the wind is the biggest problem, you can't lay down a nice wet coat with the wind blowing.

Comment

So long as you are safe then a spray booth is the best thing it will keep all the bugs and dust out !

I'm spraying outside so i expect a lot of surprises-lol

But i've sprayed outside and the wind is the biggest problem, you can't lay down a nice wet coat with the wind blowing.
                      Yea, the wind can also play with the results. Another reason for a booth.

I'm thinking of partitioning a section of garage off with sheeting and setting up an old fan at the far end since it doesn't take long before you can't see squat without a vent.

I won't be painting for another month since it's still way too cold up here for it to turn out decent. If I remember I'll post a pic of my makeshift booth.

Comment

That would be great i know others will want to see the booth, i know a member here did it and it came out nice with vent fans along the top header when he was restoring his bike.

Comment

Working...
                        X