Clear All

My 850 all blacked out

Hey I just bought this bike and it looks pretty good....ay

what do you guys think?

Very Nice...any mods planned?

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
      Very Nice...any mods planned?
      Yeah I am trying to decide if the guy had put on an after market exhaust or not. but other than that he said he put in a jet kit but doesnt remember what stage and all I can find is stage 3 for it so I will guess that but wont know till I take the carbs apart.

I am hoping to add pods, exhaust(if determined to be stock), and new springs front and rear. other than that I dont really know what else I could do besides a HID conversion or somthing silly

Comment

Fork brace. Better brakes/lines. better tires. You'll get more out of that than pods.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          Fork brace. Better brakes/lines. better tires. You'll get more out of that than pods.
          she's got new tires but whats a fork brace?

Comment

Originally posted by nisom512 View Post
            she's got new tires but whats a fork brace?
            It is a brace for the fork...

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

A fork brace ties the fork legs together just above the fender, and makes the front end more rigid and thus more predictable. I think Tarozzi is the only known source these days. Spec II also supposedly makes them, but laying hands on one is nearly impossible.

But in the end, the fork brace is somewhat optional until you get the rest of the bike sorted out. It's sort of a final touch to fork tuning.

What TCK is saying is that handling and riding skill have a far higher priority than power and noise.

A well-sorted GS850 with a skilled rider on board will run away and hide from 99.9% of the riders you'll encounter when the road gets twisty.

Any numpty can twist a throttle open.
            Last edited by bwringer; 02-03-2009, 01:26 PM.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

oh wow gee thanks that is great I totally understand now your the best.

Thanks again.

Comment

Also, those are NOT new tires. That design dates back to the '70s, and hasn't been updated since. I think they're still available new for some odd reason, but in the year 2009, they are simply inadequate and dangerous.

Even if you're not a knee-dragging slobbering red-eyed curve maniac, those ancient evil Dunlops will scare the ever-lovin' whimpering spit out of you on a regular basis. If it rains, make sure your life insurance is paid up.

Avon AM26 RoadRiders (MT90-16 rear, 100/90-19 front) will feel and handle so much better and will stick in the rain. They are a thoroughly modern design.
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by nisom512
                  so how about getting new fork springs and rear springs would thtat be worth it? or should I just get new rear dampeners and springs?(new forks would be kinda pricy)
                  New fork springs and fork oil up front and new shocks and springs in the rear.

Under $300 for Progressive stuff, and worth every last penny and then some.

Many people replace just the fork springs first, and then are so impressed with the improvement that they quickly want the rear end to work just as well.

Before you buy upgraded fork springs, make sure it doesn't already have them. Stock springs let the forks sag through most of their travel when you take the bike off the centerstand. Progressives with proper preload will sag maybe an inch or less under the bike's weight, and should sag about 1.25 - 1.5 inches with your weight in the saddle.

Good modern brake pads will also make a big difference. If the bike has few miles on it, there's a chance the original 25-year-old brake pads are still in place.

First, I'd get it running and plated, then figure out what to do next.

Look through Basscliff's collection of knowledge to find out about sealing the airbox, intake boots and o-rings, and other GS850 arcana.

IIRC, you got a helluva good deal on that bike. You'll enjoy it!
                  Eat more venison.

Comment

A fork brace ties the fork legs together just above the fender, and makes the front end more rigid and thus more predictable. I think Tarozzi is the only known source these days. Spec II also supposedly makes them, but laying hands on one is nearly impossible.

But in the end, the fork brace is somewhat optional until you get the rest of the bike sorted out. It's sort of a final touch to fork tuning.

What TCK is saying is that handling and riding skill have a far higher priority than power and noise.

A well-sorted GS850 with a skilled rider on board will run away and hide from 99.9% of the riders you'll encounter when the road gets twisty.

Any numpty can twist a throttle open.
                    so how about getting new fork springs and rear springs would thtat be worth it? or should I just get new rear dampeners and springs?(new forks would be kinda pricy)

Comment

New fork springs and fork oil up front and new shocks and springs in the rear.

Under $300 for Progressive stuff, and worth every last penny and then some.

Many people replace just the fork springs first, and then are so impressed with the improvement that they quickly want the rear end to work just as well.

Before you buy upgraded fork springs, make sure it doesn't already have them. Stock springs let the forks sag through most of their travel when you take the bike off the centerstand. Progressives with proper preload will sag maybe an inch or less under the bike's weight, and should sag about 1.25 - 1.5 inches with your weight in the saddle.

Good modern brake pads will also make a big difference. If the bike has few miles on it, there's a chance the original 25-year-old brake pads are still in place.

First, I'd get it running and plated, then figure out what to do next.

Look through Basscliff's collection of knowledge to find out about sealing the airbox, intake boots and o-rings, and other GS850 arcana.

IIRC, you got a helluva good deal on that bike. You'll enjoy it!
                      Great thanks man. yeah he said he didnt do any suspension.

I am in the proccess of ordering o-rings for both my GS's

The pads are new but for some reason the guy told me new breaks and the only prob with that is the rear rotor totally was neglected and now has ridges in it bad. so I need a new one but thats ok cause there are on ebay for $50 bran new.

I found one of thos frok braces but not gunna buy it yet unless you say they are hard to find.

Thanks for all the help

Comment

That's not a fork brace....it's a trim piece. This in not the item about which the previous poster wrote. A fork brace is of a very substantial, read thick and rigid, construction that keeps the fork legs from flexing as you turn. It increases rigidity of the whole front end and fills you with confidence (possibly!) Anyway, I think it would be in your best interest to pass on this one and keep searching....

Kelly

Comment

Agreed -- that's just a trim piece, not a fork brace.

I'd say just don't worry about the fork brace until you're completely out of things to spend money and time on.

I'll let you in on a secret -- I ride like a bat outta hell and have 97,000 miles on my GS850G, and I don't have a fork brace yet. I've always found better things to spend money on, somehow. Out at the ragged edge, yes, the fork flexes a bit and I could get some benefit out of a brace, but I've never felt unduly deprived:

Here's the Tarozzi brace:

The stock shocks are complete crap, and you can't get replacement springs or rebuild parts for them anyway. When the time comes, Progressive shocks and springs start at about $200+. There are also some Chinese-made shocks available for around $80 under various brand names (Emgo, MDI, etc.) that aren't too bad.

You don't need to replace the forks -- simply make sure they're working correctly, with good springs, correct preload, and fresh oil in them.

Overall, you've got the basis for a nice bike there. If I were you, I'd make a list and prioritize. You've got a couple of months before it thaws enough to ride much.

For example, first get it legal (registered and insured), then get it safe (new tires, front suspension), then get it running flawlessly (valve clearance check, new carb o-rings, new intake boots/o-rings, seal airbox, address any jetting issues, deal with any oil leaks, etc.).

In the process, you'll learn a lot, you'll uncover any remaining issues, and you will sort out the next steps on your own. You might decide you don't like the handlebars, for example -- that's a matter of personal preference, and you just need riding time with the bike to figure this out. (The bars that are on it are probably OK, actually.)

Overall, it's far better to get it running and working right before you decide you need to change a bunch of stuff. Since you can't do or buy everything all at once, prioritize and take things in stages.

Most people who complain about GS850 performance simply need to fix their bikes. Bone-stock, a GS850 is certainly no GSXR, but it's damn fast and very satisfying.

Somewhere on his site Basscliff took a rant/list I posted a while back and turned it into a checklist of the steps involved in achieving GS850 Nirvana.
                          Last edited by bwringer; 02-03-2009, 03:33 PM.
                          Eat more venison.

Comment

I agree with BWringer. Ive seen him ride, for a couple turns, and then i didnt see him anymore till lunch He's fast, and knows 850s probably better than anyone here, at least as well as. The tires, and replacing the stock suspension should be first on your list, IMO, then brake lines, then maybe the fork brace. That Tarrozzi brace is a really nice peice, i have one on my 750cafe, and fairly inexpensive compared to others ive seen.

At any rate, if you cant afford Progressive rear shocks straight off, pick up a set of those $80 MDIs. They are more than adequate, but if you're a light dude, they may seem a bit harsh (read: near painfull on crappy crappy roads) But, they'll make that bike stick ALOT better in the corners than those stockers did.

Comment

yeah for sure I will man. this wont be my first rebuild of carbs and getting a non running bike running but this will be my first bike I have redone suspention on.

Thank you for the tip on not getting it. it really doesnt seem worth it.....at all

Comment

Working...
                              X