No announcement yet.

The 80 gs1000 chopper build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been a while since i was back here. The bike has undergone alot of changes. I origionally spray bombed the frame. Bad idea. Shoulda done it the right way thr first time.
    I was cruisin down I-25 (main interstate through colorado) and right in the busy part of town, the rear tire locked up solid. I was going about 70 in the far right lane. Luckally i was able to ride it out to the right shoulder without any harm done.
    Turns out the seal between the engine case and the trans case had rotted out and it leaked all the fluid fot the transmissin out into the case. No lube for main bearings at 70 MPH spells disaster!

Tore into it and found the main carrier bearing for the gear set had gotten so hot, it welded together.
    So i picked up a new transmission set for $30 and started rebuilding.
    While the motor was out, i powdercoated the frame gloss black.

Then i bought my own powder coat machine and scored an oven. Then i went a little overboard with coating.
    Now the bike is all jet black but it looks like new. Just in time to sell it to fund the next project.

Sad to see it go but it was a great learning experiance.
    Heres a couple photos of what it looks like now. Not completly back together but pretty close.
    Ill post some more detailed ones once its back on the road again.

================================================== ===

And a before pic, just for grins

and this is the bearing that froze in the transmission. AVOID letting your transmission do this at all cost!
    You can see it right behind the large gear that drives the output gear.

And one more for those that follow this thread. This is my neighbors bike were building. His is slow going due to finances. It's getting close though. His tank is powdercoated mat black as well as his fenders.

Comment

GREAT looking bike. I think this is "the CLASSIC" condition to take a bike, when it looks like the one that you satrted with.

Job WELL done!!!

Comment

I feel pretty dang good about it. In fact, this project gas opened a whole other set of doors
        For me. I've moved up to building a rat rod. Although I don't think its gonna be veery ratty
        Since this bike was originally planned to be a rat

Comment

I see that you ditched a rotor.

Done for looks OR, needed a new caliper and working on a budget built?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
            I see that you ditched a rotor.

Done for looks OR, needed a new caliper and working on a budget built?
            Well, i didnt like the look of the splitter on the frront......... so mostly for looks.

It actually performs well still. Cant lock up the wheel but definatly works well in a panic stop.

All the provisions are still there to reinstall if wanted, but that means my garage clock would have to come down to be served as a rotor again

Comment

That solid black look is good. I especially like the accent provided by the polished fin edges.

Just enough to break up the solid mass of black, but not quite enough to "shine".

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I was really trying to avoid the all black thing cause i didnt think it would look good. Thought it might be too much. But now that im down to the wire, i figured powder coated gloss black was my quickest and easiest option.

Turned out pretty good though i think.
                Im going to keep all the little crome spots alone. Fasteners and such, just to break it up.

Thanks for the comments.

Comment

I think I'm gonna cry...
                  NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                  Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
                    I think I'm gonna cry...
                    Cry? Why would you do that?
                    Oh, I must have offended a purist.
                    Sorry about that.

Keep in mind this bike was destand for the junk yard. Sat outside for a minimum of 9 years
                    With a full tank of fuel. Carbs were trashed. Most seals were dry rotted. There really wasn't
                    much left of this bike when I got it. I simply gave the bike a second life. Not as a restored
                    Original but as a conversation piece. And this bike brings tons of conversation. People young
                    And old love the bike. Not cause of what it was, but what it is now. I definatly understand
                    The purists position but at the same time, everyone has their own personal taste. Bikes
                    Are the same as cars, there are people who very much enjoy them in mint original condition,
                    Others prefer the old style with a modern or different touch.

This bike still breaths the factory engine and final drive, so its still a GS. Just a little different then normal

Comment

Looks good in my book! Course I like cutting things up...

Comment

Never been much into chop conversions.. but nice job on this one!

Comment

Well unfortionatly, the bike is done and posted on ebay to fund the next project. I really liked working this build up and was quite satisfying.

The ebay link is here:

And a video of the bike:
                          Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

wish me luck

Comment

where did you get the springer from, did you use the stock neck/ bearings?

Comment

figures...I go to ask a question and find out your selling the bike haha....oh well, hopefully you can still help me. I am having trouble getting this bolt off my 650 shafty. Im pretty sure its the same and theres a really thin bolt holding it in place, but it wont budge and i ended up stripping it slightly trying to use a pair of vice grips on it. Before I do more damage i was wondering how you were able to get that bolt out. Any help would be great

Comment

you might have been the guy that messaged me. If so, im sure you've already read the message. If not, here it goes:
                                I had a hard time with that one too. I ended up welding a long chunk of angle iron into it to break it loose. When you get it out, you'll find its rather thin. I wanted a nice thick bolt so I ended up taking it to a fastener supply place and ordering a bolt specific for that spot. I cant remember the exact size and thread pitch but i think it was a 22MM bolt. It had very fine thread too so Home Depot or Ace hardware wont carry it. I went to Fastenall to get it. I think their national.

Originally posted by bluefireant View Post
                                figures...I go to ask a question and find out your selling the bike haha....oh well, hopefully you can still help me. I am having trouble getting this bolt off my 650 shafty. Im pretty sure its the same and theres a really thin bolt holding it in place, but it wont budge and i ended up stripping it slightly trying to use a pair of vice grips on it. Before I do more damage i was wondering how you were able to get that bolt out. Any help would be great

Comment

Working...
                                X