No announcement yet.

increased gas capacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah i found that out just recently as the bike wouldnt start after sitting for most of this winter and the battery drained out.

put it on prime for a bit and it fired up after 3 crank overs.

but good to know for a newb like i am

Comment

Originally posted by buckeyemike View Post
      Just wondering if anyone has added an extra gas tank to rear, or increased tank size of oe. Or any other ways to increase capacity of gas. L bike here with small tank.
      The 4.3 gallons on your L tank will give you about 150 miles between fill-ups, and unless you are a hard-core Iron Butt rider, that is just over two hours of riding and it's time to stop for a few minutes.

Your bike is the same as my wife's bike, and when we are on a trip, she goes onto reserve at about 140-150 miles. If I am towing our trailer with the Wing, I am approaching reserve, too, so we use her bike to signal when we stop for gas, but in the planning stages, we figure gas stops about 125-150 miles apart.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        The 4.3 gallons on your L tank will give you about 150 miles between fill-ups, and unless you are a hard-core Iron Butt rider, that is just over two hours of riding and it's time to stop for a few minutes.

Your bike is the same as my wife's bike, and when we are on a trip, she goes onto reserve at about 140-150 miles. If I am towing our trailer with the Wing, I am approaching reserve, too, so we use her bike to signal when we stop for gas, but in the planning stages, we figure gas stops about 125-150 miles apart.

Doesn't the mileage depend on the size of the engine too? I don't recall him mentioning which bike he had.

Comment

Man, I must be hell on a bike because I can never figure how you guys get these high 40's mileage numbers. My 1000G gets about 30 MPG if I baby it.

Comment

Originally posted by buckeyemike View Post
            ... L bike here with small tank.
            Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Your bike is the same as my wife's bike, ...
            Originally posted by Rein View Post
            I don't recall him mentioning which bike he had.
            All true. He did not mention what bike he had, other than that it's an L model. I have had the pleasure of meeting Mike and have seen his bike. It's just like my wife's bike, an '82 850L. The '82 is important, because I think the '81L had a smaller tank, about 3.5 gallons, the '82 has a 4.3 gallon tank.

Finally, now you can see why we ask all you newcomers to add your bike to your signature. Does not have to be a fancy entry with links and pictures like some of ours, just simply mention what bike you ride. In Buckeyemike's case, his sig line could read:

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
              Man, I must be hell on a bike because I can never figure how you guys get these high 40's mileage numbers. My 1000G gets about 30 MPG if I baby it.
              Bring it up here some time for the weekend, we'll tweak it for better mileage.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by twr1776 View Post
                Most are 4.5 gallons although I think there were some made with only 4 gal tanks.
                My '80 850L is 3.5 USgallons.
                Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2009, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Screw you guys and your huge freaking tanks!!

(550L, I only have a 2.8 gallon. )

Comment

You're doing better than those Harleys with 1.5 gal peanut tanks

Comment

Originally posted by Don-lo View Post

And about 19 miles per gallon.
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have an 82 850glz and it holds about 3.8 gal. I love long rides and am going to put a tank from an 82 1100gk. I have to weld mounts on the frame about 1 1/2" behind the original mounts. If I decide I don't like it I can just grind them off and switch back.

Comment

Originally posted by Don-lo View Post

LOL, very good point. ^_^

Comment

Working...
                          X