Gear indicator project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear indicator project

I I alway liked the gear position indicator on my 77GS. But after replacing the gauge cluster I've sought ways of putting it back.

I started with a piece of aluminum tubing rolled over on one edge. Then braized on two mounting tabs. Pried the original led display out of its housing, and found an cap from a mountain bike to close the back. I had to cut the wires and use smaller cable to get it all to fit and keep it neat.

I made a lens out of some tinted plastic from a toy truck ( covered with masking tape, and epoxied the back cover on.

Comment

I have been thinking about doing the same with mine.

Nice job you did there. How about a pic of it all together on the bike?

Comment

Here it is all painted.

Comment

Installed...

Comment

Safety wire holds it down

Comment

Very nice. I've considered something similar for my bikes. Who makes your main gauge set?

Comment

its an acewell.

Comment

Just curious, does your N and other dummy lights work on the Acewell gauge with your GS? I'm considering that gauge.

Thanks.

Comment

Nicely done. It looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by Loose Seal View Post
                      Just curious, does your N and other dummy lights work on the Acewell gauge with your GS? I'm considering that gauge.

Thanks.

You just wire it all in. I have one on the 400. Works great and looks great. Easy to install.

Comment

Beautiful job! I'm going to copy you! Guess I need the gear guage from a 77 gs550, since that's the bike I have. I love it! I'm always forgetting what gear I'm in.

Comment

Yep, Acewell...All the dummy lights work. Oil pressure sensor remains the same. Even comes with electronic speedo sensor. They had this awesome analog/digital gauge, but was unavailable when I got this one. Apparantley it's still not for sale.

Thank you all for your comments!

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyfingers View Post
                            Yep, Acewell...All the dummy lights work. Oil pressure sensor remains the same. Even comes with electronic speedo sensor. They had this awesome analog/digital gauge, but was unavailable when I got this one. Apparantley it's still not for sale.

Thank you all for your comments!

Yeah, I keep waiting for them to make that one available...they keep telling me "in a few months"...whatever. Yours looks excellent, if I get ahead of them I will likely go with the unit you have. Nice work! Can you post some full shots of your bike? Also, what are your wheels? They're not stock. Can you give details on your work?
                            Thanks,
                            -KR

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Kaw View Post
                              Yeah, I keep waiting for them to make that one available...they keep telling me "in a few months"...whatever. Yours looks excellent, if I get ahead of them I will likely go with the unit you have. Nice work! Can you post some full shots of your bike? Also, what are your wheels? They're not stock. Can you give details on your work?
                              Thanks,
                              -KR
                              Thank you.
                              They told me that same "few months" story in Oct 08.
                              I made these wheels on the cheap, many parts were just laying around the shop. The rims are SunRims 19x4.5 & 18x4.5. Stock rear hub, Sportster front hub. Stainless spokes from a Harley 16" wheel for rear, and for an 18" with a drum brake for front. This makes for a 36 spoke rear, and a 40 spoke front wheel. Nobody notices the difference. 99 gixxer brake disc had to be welded and redrilled to match up the bolt holes.

Comment

Working...
                              X