Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank swap musings

Could use a little input from some more experienced minds;
    I just picked up a bigger tank (theoretically from an '85 850g) on the cheap and am thinking about trying to fit it to my '82 850l to extend my range a little. Mocked up it doesn't look that bad but it's pretty snug up towards the steering stem. At the very least it will require removing/relocating the stock mounting ears on the tank.
    The question that struck me as I was processing how to approach this task (or abandon it) is, does the tank have to be isolated from the frame by rubber mountings? Do I run the risk of firing a spark into the tank and cremating myself at 65 mph?
    While that might look cool from a distance, I'm relatively sure it would upset my wife.
    Thanks for the help.

post pics, and im sure i can get you moving on that.

Comment

Tank Mounting

Solid mounting shouldn't be a problem. Harley solid mounted the 5 gallon fat-bob tanks on the older bikes for decades. The only issue was hairline cracks around the mounts. I rode an old shovelhead for years, had to weld up the cracks on the mounts at least once a year. Ask me why I went back to riding Suzuki.

Comment

Originally posted by kyscootertrash View Post
        Solid mounting shouldn't be a problem. Harley solid mounted the 5 gallon fat-bob tanks on the older bikes for decades. The only issue was hairline cracks around the mounts. I rode an old shovelhead for years, had to weld up the cracks on the mounts at least once a year. Ask me why I went back to riding Suzuki.
        So, no problem at all if you like to weld cracked gas tanks annually...OK.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Their was a post about drilling a hole thru the frame to acomodate the location of the bigger tank search for it

Comment

Thanks,
            I'm not planning a completely solid mount, I want something with a little flex and give to it, it's just nice to know that I probably won't incinerate myself. I'll post pics if I am successful.

Comment

Regarding your original question, no, the tank does not need to be isolated in order to keep out unwanted electricity. I also rode an old Harley for several years and, yes, it crcked the tank mounts. Suzukis are not Harleys (That's a good Thing). I don't know if your bike will crack the mounts. I know that Suzuki felt the need to rubber mount them, so, maybe they will. My old Panhead would crack pretty much anything that you solid mounted to the frame (Fenders, motormounts, gas tanks, taillights, exhaust mounts, etc). Needless to say, there are many things solid mounted to the frame of my GS1000 that have gone at least a few thousand miles without cracking.

Comment

Some you can

I know on my (2) 1980 L models there exists a provision for mounting a different style tank rear of the stock one. A hole through the frame where you could mount a bolt or all thread. This moves the mounting rearward. I haven't tried it yet but I think my frame is setup to accept of course the "L" tank but also an "E" tank as far as the "G" I don't know and don't have one to try.

Comment

As long as your sterring wont be affected, I dont see why you shouldnt move the mounts. Im moving mine on a custom build and its very easy. You will want a 4.5" or smaller grinder with cutting wheels and a welder. SOme know how makes it easier but its not that hard. Ill try and give a simple run that common sense should be able to fill the blank

-Drain and remove tank
                  -Disconnect the negitive side of the battery
                  -Cover engine and surrounds bits and pieces. Not with something flamable.
                  -With cutting wheel, start grinding the welds free. Be careful to NOT cut into the frame tubing. Just makes the repair end of this easier.
                  -Once the welds are free, clean the tubing with the side of the cutting wheel
                  -mock up the postion with the mounts on the tank and mark it with a Sharpie.
                  -Clean paint off that area and clamp mount in place and weld it up. You should also do any fills needed from cutting this mount off.
                  -Wire brush the area and let cool
                  -Paint and reinstall everything you removed.

It will take someone whos never done this kind of work, an afternoon or more, but its worth it in the end to be able to say, "I did that myself." If you have any fabrication questions, please feel free to ask.

Comment

Working...
                  X