850gl ridgid bomber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

850gl ridgid bomber

Well I started stripping the bike down today and cut the back frame, all I have to do is get some help pullin the motor and it is ready to take to the weld shop. Gonna keep the original tank, and install straight handlebars, not sure on the rear lights or exhaust set up yet.

Another convert to the DARKSIDE... Keep the pics/ progress updates comin man.

Comment

You can pull the motor by yourself - loosen all the mounts, lay the bike over on it's side (engine on a mattress / tyre is good), remove the mounts and lift the frame off the motor.

Easiest way by far
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

definitly the easiest way. Are you sure about removing it though? If the frame isn't going into a jig for welding the motor will keep things in alignment. Just something to consider. You should also think about how horrible the ride and handling is gonna be. Also how your going to ruin the structural integrity of the frame! Hahahahaha! Chop on good sir! Lots of pics as you go.

Comment

What Bri said. Leave the engine in til youre as fabbed up as possible. This helps keep everything in line. Keep us updated on your progress. Love seeing what other people come up with.

Comment

I think I will take your advice and leave the motor in for now, it has to come out to get rebuilt thanks to a blown head gasket and the frame is going to get painted and so is the motor. I have a idea for paint like WWII bomber od green with panel lines and rivets, and my 01 GSXR is gonna get a raw alumminum look like a modern jet!

Comment

Keep us posted on your progress. Would love to see how it turns out.
              -Rudy

Comment

don't worry so much about paint, it won't get ya home. do as much as you can on your own on that bike.

Comment

agreed. I have a few mods to do now and shiny paint is gonna get hurt in the process. fab everything then ride it around and see if any changes need to be made.

Comment

850 rogid

Are you making it a full hardtail? Or are you keeping the swing arm? It is not that complicated to make a shaft a rigid without the swingarm.

Comment

keepin the swingarm re-enforcing it at the front so it wont pivot

Comment

i have the coolest wife

i have the coolest wife in the world and i have photographic proof, you see we have no garage and i needed somewhere to work on my motor
                        so....................

Comment

Originally posted by bigmike1980 View Post
                          i have the coolest wife in the world and i have photographic proof, you see we have no garage and i needed somewhere to work on my motor
                          so....................
                          My wife lets me mess with carbs on the kitchen table. But if I were to bring a motor in, I'm pretty sure I'd be living in my camper.
                          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by bigmike1980 View Post
                            so....................
                            Does she have any sisters?

Dats a cool wife

Comment

wooo hoooo

found a head for my motor should have the frame welded before the first of august and have it almost running by the end of the month if i can make time

Comment

Working...
                              X