Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chroming

Hello Chaps
    Does anyone know a cheap chroming company in the Birmingham Westmidlands area as I need to chrome some parts off my 1979 GS850. I have had a quote already and almost died £250.00 + VAT.
    Any suggestions most welcome.

Kind regards
    Simon

Do it yourself. It's not hard. http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/index.html

Comment

Looks like a lot of messing about with chemicals , any other suggestions welcome
      Kind regards

Comment

The words "cheap" and "chrome" are usually not uttered in the same sentence; unless the word "not" also gets worked in there somewhere. At least, no in the U.S. Maybe things are different in the UK.

Comment

Hi GSimon850,
          my experience with chrome so far is as always:
          You get what you pay for, and you normally have to pay through the nose for it!

Zooks might be onto something there, the chemicals used aren't TOO bad if you take care.

Hi Zooks, I've been looking at those kits for a couple of weeks now. VERY tempted into getting one, have you used one yourself? If so, is it good quality chrome with high success rate or do you get plenty of flaws in it etc? I've also been looking into the electrolysis cleaning kits, they look well handy.

TIA for any info you can share on those kits

Comment

I've always wondered about those kits too. As I understand it, plating is 99% prep work.

Comment

Originally posted by drhach View Post
              The words "cheap" and "chrome" are usually not uttered in the same sentence; unless the word "not" also gets worked in there somewhere. At least, no in the U.S. Maybe things are different in the UK.
              This CHROME is "NOT" CHEAP, :-) Ride safe drhach, on the other hand by the time you have paid for the kits, and the stripping kit, plus your time £250.00 quid is looking like a decent price.
              Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2009, 05:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

A friend of mine does it himself in his garage in a bucket. He makes it look really simple and reckons it works out a fraction of the cost. He's got two mint Kawasaki Z1000's (KZ's to you guys) and has replated all of the nuts and bolts etc.

Comment

I've been considering a home zinc plating system of some sort so the hardware and small parts on my 1000 project bike can be cleaned up properly. Nice shinny hardware really sets off a project.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hey Nessism,

I'd like to try the Nickel plate kit myself. I once did a rebuild with Nickel plated parts and they have a slightly golden finish to them, looked really cool and different.

i thought about Zinc too, i emailed a guy over here in Blighty, the following is his response. You may be interested in this kit yourself GSimon850? It's cheaper than the £250 quoted and the solution can last for years.

Quote:

For rack plating which is effectively what we are doing the voltage can vary form 2-9v so there is a wide range it is the amperage that is more important as you want about 100ma/sq inch a battery charger is fine. To plate aluminium you would need the allyseal (zincate) and to be quite honest I would go for either the nickel finish or the replica chrome as both are a lot harder than the zinc and will give a better more durable finish than the zinc. which ever kit you buy they will plate cast iron, steel, brass, copper and if used with the allyseal aluminium and most aluminium alloys including potmetal. I would also reccomend that you buy some dry acid pickle and an alkaline cleaner which can also be used as an electrocleaner to remove rust and paint etc. So either £112.98 for the system based on the nickel or £122.98 for the system based on the replica chrome plus £11 P&P both systems include the Dry acid pickle, alkaline cleaner and allyseal.
                    Regards
                    Dan
                    For further info check out our website gaterosplating.co.uk

(sorry about adding his website, not sure if its within the forums spamming rules or not. Not much point having prices on if you can't find the seller though)
                    Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2009, 08:42 AM. Reason: Realised i'd included a website address

Comment

I have had a look at these kits and I think this is the way to go, do it ya self, seen some of the results very nice and just over £100.00 for the replica chrome and stripper.
                      Thanks for the tips guys all the best

Kind reagards
                      Simon

Comment

No problem Dude, don't forget to post some pics of your work if you do get a kit.

Comment

Will do

Comment

Working...
                          X