Cafe bike, but 2 seater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cafe bike, but 2 seater?

I absolutely love the look of some of the cafe bikes some of you guys have built...

However, my wife often rides with me. We're not real long trip riders, so I'm not too concerned with comfort, but is there a way to make a cafe bike look good and have seating for 2?

Anyone have any pics how this would look?
    Last edited by Guest; 03-20-2009, 11:38 PM.

Nobody has pics, because it wouldn't look good.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimpdiggity View Post
      I found these guys by googling...

Scroll down to the bottom. It looks like they only make these for CB's - but I don't think it looks bad at all. A little expensive for sure, but looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimpdiggity View Post

???? What a wonderfully friendly thing to say.

NOT!!!!

Comment

I am in the process of doing the exact same thing. I'm using Ducati's from the 70's / 80's for inspiration. The Italians have always had a good eye for style.

Comment

And another. Not a Duc, but looks okay IMHO

Comment

It was also fairly common to put longer seats on Yamaha cafe racers. I've seen a few like this.

Comment

Sorry to hog the thread but I have one more thought.

I've always thought of starting out with a GS King / Queen seat and resahipng the foam to make a cafe seat. Basically the 'Queen' part of the seat would be the 'hump' above the taillight. It would look the right shape but you could also carry a pillion.

Comment

buy the universal seat from this guy. You cut it to length. Depending on your size you can squeeze two people onto it, and still have a decent looking bike. My girlfriend and I squeeze onto our gs550 often. I don't know if i would recommend it for a cross country trip, but around down, or during an evening cruise it isn't bad.

www.hotwingglass.com

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I really like the look of what they were doing on the website I posted. I wonder if it would be possible to shape the seat to how I like it, and then to fab some sort of cowl to go over the rear seat when not using it?

Comment

Originally posted by lilbilly View Post
                      Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I really like the look of what they were doing on the website I posted. I wonder if it would be possible to shape the seat to how I like it, and then to fab some sort of cowl to go over the rear seat when not using it?
                      That's exactly what a lot of Ducatis and others had in the past (and now). Modern GSXR might give you some ideas too. Wouldn't be too hard if you are any good with fibreglass (which is easy BTW).

'Google images' is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
                        That's exactly what a lot of Ducatis and others had in the past (and now). Modern GSXR might give you some ideas too. Wouldn't be too hard if you are any good with fibreglass (which is easy BTW).

'Google images' is your friend.
                        The current Triumph Thruxton uses that approach.

Comment

Do it yourself, safe a bunch of cash and learn something new

The easiest method is fiberglass over rigid foam (closed cell pink blue or green from the builder supply stores). Sheets come in different sizes and thicknesses. I like pink in 1/2" to 3/4" thick for seat bases and 2" for making the humps or tails.You need a glue that is compatable with foam and I like Gorilla brand but construction adhesive (sold in the same area as the foam) works.

Start by laying out and shaping the base. Build up the hump with a couple or three (4) pieces of the thicker stuff. Shape to your liking with rasps, files, sandpaper saws..whatever you feel comfortable with. Sand the final shape as smooth as you can with fine paper. You can fill and sand any divots with drywall mud / plaster of Paris. As the foam is cheap you can make several models to get the shape you like best.

Once you have the shape you can think about glassing. You have a couple of options but you need to know one key factor. Foam will not stand up to common fiberglass resin but is compatable to epoxy (2 part) resins. Epoxies are quite a bit more expensive but easier to work with in these projects IMHO. You can use standard resins but you will need to encapsulate the form first. No resin can be allowed to get to the form or it will eat it. One method is to paint the form with a latex based paint, several coats would be recommended. Another method is to use packing tape and wrap the form.

As far as cloth you would want the finest weave you can find. You can use a course cloth for the first layer and a finer one for the top but it is really not necessary and one fine layer is plenty strong (as the foam provides the rigidity). Cut pieces to shape. Usually one for the seat surface to wrap around the sides and be fixed to the bottom. One for the bottom and maybe a couple for the hump. You will need some push pins to hold things in place.

Now when dealing with glass and resins you need to wear gloves and masks and old clothes. Round up some dollar store brushes and a couple of plastic containers (bottom cut off pop bottles). It also helps to have some type of stand made (a couple of piesecs of scrap lumber) to affix the form to while glassing. Cut open a garbage bag and tape to cover your table. Resin get everywhere.

Start with mixing some resin as per the instructions. Just mix a couple of ounces enough to coat one piece at a time. I find a shallow tray or bowl handy to "load" the cloth. Pour the resin in and dip the cloth in. Make sure it is all wet and there are no dry areas. Pin the cloth in position. I do the whole top side one time and when hard, complete the bottom. When both sides are hard sand off any lumps and paint on another coat of resin alone.

Once the form is completed sand again to remove drips or ridges and then fill any depressions with standard Bondo or the like. Sand until smooth and primer, sand surface fill etc before paint.

As I mentioned before, I find working with the epoxy easier as you have no fear of destroying the foam. You can cut into the form after forming the shape to make holes for lights or glassing in nuts or bolts for attachment points. if you make any holes seal them with some resin painted on, cloth is not necessary.

Depending on the cost of resin ($30/40 a pint maybe) and glass ($5/10 for 5 or 6 sq feet or so)and foam ($8/20) you can make at least 2 if not 3 or more seats.

This technique is also good for making custom parts like side panels and fairings.

The first efforts may take a little time but in my opinion it a technique well worth learning and very satisfying when you get it completed.

Give it a try.

Cheers,
                          Spyug.

This is the fiberglass over foam seat for my XS Street Tracker. Hope it gives you an idea.
                          Last edited by Guest; 03-21-2009, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Why not a 2 seater cafe? Just make the seat a little linger like posted above. My 400 yamaha cafe could carry an extra person if they were small. How would it look bad? Give more slide back room if you wanted to lay down on the straightaways. Here is a great link to some actual race bikes..http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360180.. You can buy a seat from hotwing glass turnkey(except for mounting hard ware) for around 200 shipped..

Comment

Those Beemer sidecar rigs are SO FOOKIN' COOL!
                              +1 for the cafe'd Guzzis. I bet that was one fun afternoon.

Comment

Working...
                              X