My GS1000 project almost done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by atherts01 View Post
    I plan on hillclimbing in the MN and WI. But I am going to try and make it to Billings MT this year too. I will take a picture of my starter this weekend.
    Too far away for me to go - damn. Good luck - I don't think you'll be wanting for power.

I'm waiting for the mountains to thaw and we just got more snow.

Comment

Love your work! can you tell us a bit about it, eg whats the frame, engine etc....just curious as i recently bought a HD sportster to do similiar, but iam enjoying it on the road, maybe a GS adventure tourer isnt sauch a crazy idea.....Your bike is the coolest ive seen in ages. Lookin frwd to more pics.

Comment

The frame: is half gs1000 and back half is cr500. Engine is bone stock (for now) I figured when I can ride the bike wide open I will put more into it. This was my dad's engine in 1986, then he sold it after winning hillclimb nationals . I will update with some pictures soon.

Comment

What's the technique for managing the power of a four during a hill climb? It wont be the same as a big single, the lowdown torque isn't there. Do you keep it revving and use the clutch to feed the power to the wheel?

Comment

Originally posted by Flaggo60 View Post
            What's the technique for managing the power of a four during a hill climb? It wont be the same as a big single, the lowdown torque isn't there. Do you keep it revving and use the clutch to feed the power to the wheel?
            I can't speak for him, but even with a big single (XR650R) you need to keep the RPM's up and slip the clutch if they drop. The key is momentum and keeping the engine in the powerband.

Comment

Unreal !!!It never ceases to amaze me what some of you blokes can do.This weapon looks like a bought one.I don't think I would ever attempt something like this.I'll play around with a bike cosmetically ,but to join two different frames..........I don't think so.Gotta be up there for Bike Of The Millenium.VERY well done old mate.Can't wait to see it completed.Cheers,Simon.
              http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

What Simon said. Looking at it you'd swear that it was a commercially available bike with the four in it from the factory. I'm looking forward to photos of the completed machine BEFORE it hits the hills....don't forget, OK?

Comment

Working...
                X