Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat stitching ideas

Hi guys.

I took my seat to a guy today. He does excellent work. He is going to re-wrap it and he can also do the stitching however I like it. He's also going to smooth out the foam (I didn't exactly shave it perfectly ).

Here is my question -

Should I go with the original stitching pattern, or can you guys give me some ideas? The seat color will be black.

In case anyone was wondering, cost will be $100 including materials for him to do it like the original.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-29-2009, 06:25 PM.

100 bucks to go back to original?

Comment

Hey lilbilly,

you never said which direction the "cafe 2 seater" thought was going in. Did you decide on a custom seat then? Post a pic or two if you have some

Comment

Originally posted by uudfourty View Post
        100 bucks to go back to original?
        The seat is currently ripped and I cut foam the down by quite a bit to fit my short legs better...100 bucks pays to smooth out my bastard cuts, add a small layer of foam underneath where he will wrap a fresh layer of vinyl with it stitched however I choose.

Originally posted by yaddy View Post
        Hey lilbilly,

you never said which direction the "cafe 2 seater" thought was going in. Did you decide on a custom seat then? Post a pic or two if you have some
        Sorry...for now I am sticking with it stock. The idea of cafe 2 seater is for a later time (maybe this winter or something).

Comment

If he's good, that's a good price.

That sound's like a good price to me. A cheapo JC Whitney replacement cover is $60, but it wont fit after your changes. Pay the man and thank him, if his work is good.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
            That sound's like a good price to me. A cheapo JC Whitney replacement cover is $60, but it wont fit after your changes. Pay the man and thank him, if his work is good.
            Yeah, I figured it was a good deal. I'm just trying to figure out how I want it stitched. Like the original or something more simple?

Comment

$100 is reasonable.
              I paid $125 for new triple denisth foam, well 3 layers of different density foam cut to stock. And the seat cover did not need any repairs.
              The guy did a great job.

What to have stitched? Stock cross pattern? Or something different?
              Just remember what you may think is cool, someone else things is not.
              If you go to sell the bike, this could be a problem.
              Like having your initials stitched into the seat.......or an exotic.............parrot, yea that's it a parrot

$100 bucks for foam and stitching, if he goes quality work, yea I'd go for it.
              Last edited by KGB; 03-29-2009, 07:03 PM. Reason: spacing,not stitching
              Keith
              -------------------------------------------
              1980 GS1000S, blue and white
              2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by KGB View Post
                $100 is reasonable.
                I paid $125 for new triple denisth foam, well 3 layers of different density foam cut to stock. And the seat cover did not need any repairs.
                The guy did a great job.

What to have stitched? Stock cross pattern? Or something different?
                Just remember what you may think is cool, someone else things is not.
                If you go to sell the bike, this could be a problem.
                Like having your initials stitched into the seat.......or an exotic.............parrot, yea that's it a parrot

$100 bucks for foam and stitching, if he goes quality work, yea I'd go for it.
                The stock cross pattern was what I was originally thinking, but then I thought maybe something a little more simple.

I was thinking something along these lines...obviously different seat, but same style stitching.

And no parrots or flames or anything wild.

Comment

Check out how I did my seat
                  http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=138701

Would only work with the plastic pan seats though

Comment

A thought -

The reason that motorcycle seatpans 'rot out' is that moisture gets through the stitching and hangs in the foam. The less stitching the less moisture that can get into your foam. I plan on doing all of my seatcovers from now on as one continuous piece of vinyl, with no stitching (if possible). It obvioulsy depends on the shape of the seat.

If the bike is always under cover - ignore this post.

Comment

A couple more thougts: IF you're going to stitch the seating surface, how about stitching a large Suzuki "S" logo on it? Also, putting a thin layer of plastic film, like dry cleaner bag plastic, between the vinyl and foam will reduce the likelihood of water getting through the stitching and into the foam.
                      How about posting some before and after pics if possible?
                      Willie in TN
                      Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                      '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                      '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                      '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Ask if he can do a French seam it will hold up longer, some piping wouldn't hurt either always looks more professional.

Comment

Originally posted by GQROD View Post
                          Ask if he can do a French seam it will hold up longer, some piping wouldn't hurt either always looks more professional.
                          Hate to ask, but what's a french seam?

Comment

It's kinky, we can't tell you on an open forum.

Comment

Working...
                            X