hannigan fairings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hannigan fairings

anyone know much about these fairings? i see pics but i am just not sure. i have a line on one for a gs850 i suppose it would probably fit my gs1100ex 1981. as long at the 850 has a rectangular headlight.

i think the hannigan fairings may be too big. i am trying to create the mad max look and i need a fairing. any ideas?

Comment

Hannigan's are considered pretty good fairings, in terms of quality. They are also on the expensive side, so if you have a line on a cheap one, it may be worth buying just to resell it. They are somewhat large; definitely larger than an "S" fairing. Personally, I think they have done a pretty good job of making a large fairing look pretty proportional on the bikes. They don't really seem that big until you sit behind them. I think you're right that the "Mad Max" look wouldn't really work with a Hannigan. Like I said though, if it's cheap, it may be worth buying anyway.

Comment

What 850 had the Rect. headlight? I've never seen one,
        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I put heaps of info over on the classic ujm forum for you about this.

Do you mean the 'baddies' from Mad Max? If the answer is yes - what you want is a Dunstall or Rickman style 'bullet' fairing.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
            I put heaps of info over on the classic ujm forum for you about this.

Do you mean the 'baddies' from Mad Max? If the answer is yes - what you want is a Dunstall or Rickman style 'bullet' fairing.

Yeah Baby! That's what I'm talkin' about. I love those fairings.

Comment

I bought a Hannigan from the factory about 12 yrs ago and swore I'd never deal with them again. Can you say "Attitude"? And I dealt with the owner. In-friggin-credible! The build quality was, IMO, excellent though. What I didn't like, in addition to their total lack of desire to satisfy a customer was, the weight (its gotta be heavier than a Vetter) and overall size.
              Just my .02 worth.
              I also had one of those Dunstall style fairings that Zooks posted a picture of. I liked it for its lightness, simplicity and surprising wind protection. FWIW, it was on my RD350. Man, those were the days!
              Willie in TN
              Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
              '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
              '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
              '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

do you see the photo on the bike of the month? that is the fairing i am looking for. it would be perfect. so i need to look for a rickman or a dunstall type fairing. good! thank you all! any more advice is always welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
                  What 850 had the Rect. headlight? I've never seen one,
                  it was actually a question marv not a statement. thanks

Comment

Just to clarify roadhamr -

Rickman and Dunstall were both bike builders 'back in the day'. This style of fairing just happens to be what both of them are famous for. It is often referred to as a 'bullet' fairing. Some people refer to it as a Ducati 900SS fairing also, due to the fact that Duc's used them for many years.

The BOM fairing looks more like a Honda or Kawaskai style fairing to me. There are SOOOOO many fairings out there it's crazy.

Good luck.

Comment

These guys are one of the best. http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/...gefairings.htm

They are famous worldwide.

Comment

Actually i have been search for someone who makes a fairing for a rectangular headlight with that bullet shape for a long time and i have found none. There are the gpz fairings but they are small and dont have the right shape. I have looked at the link you show but none really fit the bill i could get one with no cut out and put in my own but i dont really relish trying to cut that thing without messing it up. Does anyone have any ideas where i could find what i am looking for?

Comment

You can do one of two things - change your headlight or cut the hole yourself. Are you really that attached to that square headlight?

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
                            You can do one of two things - change your headlight or cut the hole yourself. Are you really that attached to that square headlight?
                            What he said:
                            As well as www.classic-motorcycle-fiberglass.com

Comment

Originally posted by hp1000s View Post
                              What he said:
                              As well as www.classic-motorcycle-fiberglass.com
                              LOL - I posted that same link over on the classic ujm forum. Those guys are just down the road. They have a pretty good reputation here.

Comment

Working...
                              X