Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did My Tanke and Body Work with Bed Liner...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did My Tanke and Body Work with Bed Liner...

So the bike is really dirty, but as I've been slowly working on it and today was pretty nice outside, I figured I'd get all the body work done on the bike. So as you look at the bike, keep in mind the fact that I have not tried cleaning up the engine at all...let alone the frame or anything else. The body work is really the only thing I've done so far...other than the Daytona bars and switching the Vetter out for that single headlight that's on there now.

The body on the bike wasn't in the greatest of shape. It was faded, scratched, dented...the works. I have NEVER done any body work before in my life, so I used Bondo on the dents in the tank and it came out pretty good. I had been planning on using the bed liner to begin with, so I knew that I didn't need it to be 100% perfect. But I still think it came out pretty well.

So today I laid the bed liner on all of the body panels, except for the front fender. I have some other plans to do to the front fender before I cover it, so I figured it could wait for another day.

I really like the way it turned out. My camera's flash isn't very good, so it looks much more textured in the pictures than it actually is. In person it's got just a slight textured look to it, and I like it quite a bit.

My seat cover, on the other hand, turned out not so great. I had originally ordered a brown/black one. In the pictures it looked like it was black with brown highlights, if that makes any sense...but when I put it on it's just plain brown. It doesn't go at all with the bike.

Here's another.

Comment

And a close up of the tank. This is where the texture really looks different than it does in person.

Comment

I don't mind the textured look - keep the pix coming mate!

Comment

At least it will be easy to do touchups

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
            At least it will be easy to do touchups

That, honestly, is one of the reasons that I chose to use the bed liner. I had used it on another old UJM that I had, a 1986 Yamaha YX-600, and I really liked the way it turned out.

Any time that anything hit it that might scratch or chip the paint on anything else and the bed liner just absorbed it like it's supposed to do. That, and you don't ever have to worry about waxing or polishing any of body work once you've done the bed liner.

I know it's not for everyone, but I like it. The bike is a bit of a rat bike right now...I plan on slowly making it nicer, but the main goal for now is to get it running. I just happened to find a good deal on the bed liner and so I snagged it and laid it down while it was nice out today.

Next weekend (for me, Tuesday and Wednesday of next week) I will be attempting to start replacing seals on the engine. I've got a new valve cover gasket, new half moon seals, new tachometer seals for the engine, and the stuff to do the cam chain tensioner. I will also be going to grab an o-ring to put on the starter nose. Then the week after that will be carb rebuilding. Then it should be good to go...after a good scrubbing and cleaning!!!

Comment

Most people seal the INSIDE of a rusted, clapped out fuel tank, not the outside.

Well, it does look "unique" ?

Comment

well, i bet gas doesn't do anything to it!

Comment

Interesting concept.

Comment

I am doing something similar to my quad right now. I like it man. Its a different look.

Comment

Originally posted by gsryder View Post
                      I am doing something similar to my quad right now. I like it man. Its a different look.

I can see doing it to an ATV but i don't like it on a bike. Feel free to do it to yours, just saying I wouldn't do it on mine lol

Comment

Does bedliner come in different colors? It is something I might consider for Mr Ratley. I agree that the brown and black don't really make it. I would change one of the colors.
                        Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Yeah, it comes in several different colors and tones. I've seen entire Jeeps painted with it...talk about a durable finish!

Comment

There was a guy I met in Calgary that did an entire F150 in slate grey bed liner He said the truck was very quiet now but wieghed a lot more. In an effort to show how tough it was he kicked the door, I don't think it was as tough as he thought as it dented.

Comment

Never heard of bedliner. Proofcote used to be the top brand for this type of stuff down here.

Does everbody remember the old hammertone finishes of the 70's and 80's?

Comment

Working...
                              X