Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did My Tanke and Body Work with Bed Liner...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
    Never heard of bedliner. Proofcote used to be the top brand for this type of stuff down here.

It's probably the same stuff...bed liner is just a term for any type of durable coating that goes on a truck bed to protect it from scratches and dents and such.

Comment

I've heard that if you DON'T mix "do-it-yourself" bedliner the particulate will stay at the bottom and the finish will be much smoother. In the case of a job like this, where "non-skid" isn't the goal I imagine the result would be even smoother than you describe, but still with the resistance to abuse...

Did you mix yours before applying it or not?

Regards,

Comment

Hmmm...creative for sure...

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
          I've heard that if you DON'T mix "do-it-yourself" bedliner the particulate will stay at the bottom and the finish will be much smoother. In the case of a job like this, where "non-skid" isn't the goal I imagine the result would be even smoother than you describe, but still with the resistance to abuse...

Did you mix yours before applying it or not?

Regards,

I did mix it, but I would imagine that what you have heard would be correct.

Comment

I wonder if you went to a Rino-liner place if they would do a bike. The only reason in paying them to do it would be the warranty on truck beds if you ever get a dent scratch or pretty much anything take it back up there and they'll repair it no question. It doesn't matter if you put dirt in your bed and you shovel it out. Anyway... if they gave you the same deal on a bike and you dropped your bike they'd fix it.

Comment

Never heard of bedliner. Proofcote used to be the top brand for this type of stuff down here.

Does everbody remember the old hammertone finishes of the 70's and 80's?

that is hilarious, I was just going to post how I have a can of that stuff. I painted some deck furtniture with it, turned out awesome.

Tremclad hammertone, it is THE hardest paint out of a rattle can I have ever seen, like nail polish almost, and smooth like glass, well bumpy cause its textured, but the actual finish is glass-like IYKWIM.

I want to test it with gas, if it hold up at all I might think about it for a few parts, mine turned out just like this pic, just spray it on VERY forgiving, original surface texture is covered up a lot too.

I love this paint just with I had more uses for it, 5-6 colours too.

I got the cab lined in my old f150 I had a few years back, quiet and water proof, just hose it out.

Comment

I did my DR650 with the stuff that comes in a rattle can from the auto parts store. It's a fairly common thing with the on/off road crowd. You're right, it is really easy to touch up. It doesn't flex well with plastic parts, but that shouldn't be an issue for you.

You may also want to consider wrinkle coat for some of your other parts. I used that on a few of my GS1000 engine parts and I was pretty happy with the results. You have to bake it in an oven though, so, it may not be best for everything (e.g. Gas Tanks)

Comment

Originally posted by drhach View Post
                  I did my DR650 with the stuff that comes in a rattle can from the auto parts store. It's a fairly common thing with the on/off road crowd. You're right, it is really easy to touch up. It doesn't flex well with plastic parts, but that shouldn't be an issue for you.

You may also want to consider wrinkle coat for some of your other parts. I used that on a few of my GS1000 engine parts and I was pretty happy with the results. You have to bake it in an oven though, so, it may not be best for everything (e.g. Gas Tanks)

Wrinkle coat, huh?? Hmmm...I'll have to look into that, I don't think I've ever seen it before.

I do have some parts that I will be taking off to do some work on in the future, and anything is an option at this point in time.

Comment

Very nice ! I have a 92 GS 500 I'm gonna rebuild someday and that seems to have the exact effect I'm looking for. Cheers

Comment

hrmm, i have "knee dents" on my cafe project that i haven't bondo'd yet. the surface texture isn't horrible, but it isnt' the best. i wonder if i can use textured paint in the dents, and then a regular finish elsewhere. it would act like the old leather pads one could purchase. hrmm.....

Comment

Originally posted by mr20turbo View Post
                        hrmm, i have "knee dents" on my cafe project that i haven't bondo'd yet. the surface texture isn't horrible, but it isnt' the best. i wonder if i can use textured paint in the dents, and then a regular finish elsewhere. it would act like the old leather pads one could purchase. hrmm.....

It would probably work really well, actually. The bed liner stuff sticks to just about anything. If you painted the tank and then didn't really like the way the bondo finished areas looked, you can just scuff it up with a pad that comes in the kit and slap the bed liner down. You can even tape off areas that you don't want the bed liner and as long as you follow the instructions it will come right off and leave the bed liner only where you want it.

Actually, as I think about it, I think it would look pretty cool like that. Not only that, but it would be functional as well, because when you were braking you could use the grip that the bed liner provides to help keep yourself from sliding forward.

Comment

You can see it pretty well in this picture. It's on the front fender and the side pieces of the engine. You can also have it done in powder coat which I had done on the sidestand and the centerstand. It's a pretty good finish, I think Summit racing sells it in rattle cans. You have to heat it while it is wet. I used a heat gun, but I think an oven might better. The more you heat it the more it wrinkles, so if you don't apply heat evenly, it will be more wrinkly in some spots. It's not too bad, bad you can spot it if you look

Comment

That looks really good on the engine parts. I might have to think of ordering some of that stuff and hitting a few pieces on the engine with it.

That frame is an AWESOME color, too. I plan on tearing my bike down to it's frame this next winter and doing something with the frame.

Comment

I am using Rust-oleum Hammered finish from the rattle can on some different parts such as the battery holder. No need to prime.I originally used it on outdoor furniture also.Hides imperfections and can be applied over rust,so the can states.It has a nice finish.

Originally posted by donimo View Post
                              that is hilarious, I was just going to post how I have a can of that stuff. I painted some deck furtniture with it, turned out awesome.

Tremclad hammertone, it is THE hardest paint out of a rattle can I have ever seen, like nail polish almost, and smooth like glass, well bumpy cause its textured, but the actual finish is glass-like IYKWIM.

I want to test it with gas, if it hold up at all I might think about it for a few parts, mine turned out just like this pic, just spray it on VERY forgiving, original surface texture is covered up a lot too.

I love this paint just with I had more uses for it, 5-6 colours too.

I got the cab lined in my old f150 I had a few years back, quiet and water proof, just hose it out.

Does everbody remember the old hammertone finishes of the 70's and 80's?

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
                              1978 GS1000C
                              1979 GS1000E
                              1980 GS1000E
                              2004 Roadstar

Comment

Used duplicolor black bedliner for the body work on my KLR....works great!
                                Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Working...
                                X