Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did My Tanke and Body Work with Bed Liner...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like it! I agree that brown isn't going to work. Perhaps copper or red ? Something to contrast the flat-effect of the bedliner stuff...And this will add weight, but think how easy cleaning it will be

Comment

Unique it is....

Comment

If you don't like the bed liner once it's on, how easy is it to remove it / sand it down?

Comment

Maro,

This bike is in my possession now. I've done some experimenting on this stuff. You can sand it, but you need a power tool to move/remove it. To remove it from the tank in a practical fashion, I think, will require a chemical dip. I haven't tried to remove it from the plastic, but I don't think you would be able to tell when you got through the liner to the plastic below. One of the side covers has a broken tab and will be replaced. I'll do some experimenting on that someday, to see if the other can be salvaged.

I plan to keep the bed liner at least through this season. For money reasons, and to see how I like it long-term.
          Last edited by Dogma; 03-16-2010, 03:33 PM.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Not that it would be a priority on your bike (I would hope), but I used to build armored cars back in the early 90's and we used to have bed liner sprayed on the outside of the fuel tanks.

We did this after cutting them apart to put stainless steel wool into them to displace air to reduce the threat of explosion when punctured. Once the bed liner, I think it was rhino, was sprayed on the outside you could shoot it with small arms and it would self seal almost instantly. Never had to worry about leaks from our welds on the tank, either. As far as our tests showed it was impervious to fuel.

So once you have spayed your tank with liner, you needn't worry about small arms fire. At least as far as the tank is concerned. Your body or the rest of your bike, well, you might still want avoid getting shot.

Cheers, Erick

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
              Maro,

This bike is in my possession now. I've done some experimenting on this stuff. You can sand it, but you need a power tool to move/remove it. To remove it from the tank in a practical fashion, I think, will require a chemical dip. I haven't tried to remove it from the plastic, but I don't think you would be able to tell when you got through the liner to the plastic below. One of the side covers has a broken tab and will be replaced. I'll do some experimenting on that someday, to see if the other can be salvaged.

I plan to keep the bed liner at least through this season. For money reasons, and to see how I like it long-term.
              Dogma, can you post a few more photos of your bike. Curious about the texture. I read in this thread that you can reduce the amount of texture by not shaking the can. interesting. Would like to see some better shots of your paint job. That's cool the bike stayed within the GSR!

Originally posted by Zweihammer View Post
              Not that it would be a priority on your bike (I would hope), but I used to build armored cars back in the early 90's and we used to have bed liner sprayed on the outside of the fuel tanks.

We did this after cutting them apart to put stainless steel wool into them to displace air to reduce the threat of explosion when punctured. Once the bed liner, I think it was rhino, was sprayed on the outside you could shoot it with small arms and it would self seal almost instantly. Never had to worry about leaks from our welds on the tank, either. As far as our tests showed it was impervious to fuel.

So once you have spayed your tank with liner, you needn't worry about small arms fire. At least as far as the tank is concerned. Your body or the rest of your bike, well, you might still want avoid getting shot.

Cheers, Erick
              noteworthy!! thanks for that insight. good to know for the getaway!

Comment

Here's my rebuild thread. You can see the results of my experimenting on the tank too.
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
                X