Polishing and new bolts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polishing and new bolts.

I had to change the gasket on the mag cover since it was leaking so I ordered some new SS bolts to do it all at the same time. Still have to do the other side but the new bolts really clean it all up. I polished the pieces I was working on. Here are some pics. Still have lots to do but a few more steps in the right direction....

David
    1998 Suzuki Bandit
    1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
    1978 GS1000 - gone
    1981 GS850 - gone

Nice

Looks awsome. Update when you get the other side done.

Comment

looks great! what did you use to polish?

Comment

Looks hot man. The bolts really do set it off nicely!!

Comment

Originally posted by portdave View Post
          I had to change the gasket on the mag cover since it was leaking so I ordered some new SS bolts to do it all at the same time. Still have to do the other side but the new bolts really clean it all up. I polished the pieces I was working on. Here are some pics. Still have lots to do but a few more steps in the right direction....
          looks good, and *much* better than stock hex-heads. Nice finish on the covers too. Not sure if you're aware of this or not, but you should use an anti-sieze compound on stainless going into aluminium. Stops corrosion.

cheers
          ian

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I know it isn't perfect. Still some scratches but much better than what it was. I should have taken more before pics. I probably have them somewhere.....I have had this bike for about 9 months but it is my DD as I don't have another car right now.

I used this for polishing. http://master-formula.com/Motorcycle.htm

On the bad spots I used it with some very fine steel wool first and then just the polish and then the sealer. I tried other stuff at the local store but this worked better. I think all the polishes need EG or some kind of buffer.

Thanks Ian for the advice on the anti seize. I will do that on the others and next time I open it up.

The hex heads are well worth it. The bolt kit was about $30 shipped from Z1. I will update when I do more.
            David
            1998 Suzuki Bandit
            1978 GS1000 - gone
            1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

That polish looks like the same product I saw demo-ed at a bike show. The guy was polishing the bottom of soda cans. I wondered how good it would work on aluminum parts. Now I know. NICE job!
              Willie in TN
              Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
              '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
              '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
              '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

I got my SS bolt kit from Z-1 also.It is a nice mod to any bike.The only bummer I had, only received 7 of the 8 needed to do the round cam covers.The worst one to be short.
                http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u...00080021-1.jpg
                1978 GS1000C
                1979 GS1000E
                1980 GS1000E
                2004 Roadstar

Comment

Originally posted by willie View Post
                  That polish looks like the same product I saw demo-ed at a bike show. The guy was polishing the bottom of soda cans. I wondered how good it would work on aluminum parts. Now I know. NICE job!
                  Willie in TN
                  I have been pretty happy with it after trying all the local stuff at the auto parts store. Using the steel wool (#000) with it helps. Also the microfiber towels help too.

The bolts really set it off though....I should have gotten them awhile ago.
                  David
                  1998 Suzuki Bandit
                  1978 GS1000 - gone
                  1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                    I got my SS bolt kit from Z-1 also.It is a nice mod to any bike.The only bummer I had, only received 7 of the 8 needed to do the round cam covers.The worst one to be short.
                    Did you call them? I am sure they can get you what you need. I think Dr. Bolts is the company that makes up the kits...yes here it is...

"These replacement stainless steel Allen bolt sets from Dr Bolts offer high-quality replacement bolts for most of the Phillips pan-head screws in the visible engine cases. Each set contains a matched set of polished stainless steel bolts with the appropriate sized Allen wrenches."

They will make good on it....
                    David
                    1998 Suzuki Bandit
                    1978 GS1000 - gone
                    1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

I had to change the gasket on the mag cover since it was leaking so I ordered some new SS bolts to do it all at the same time. Still have to do the other side but the new bolts really clean it all up. I polished the pieces I was working on.....
                      That polish job is really nice. Congrats. Re the SS Allen bolt swap, did you find any of the original mush-metal bolts just wouldn't move? If so, what technique worked best for you to get them out? I'm 3/4 changed over, but some of them seem welded in.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaggo60 View Post
                        That polish job is really nice. Congrats. Re the SS Allen bolt swap, did you find any of the original mush-metal bolts just wouldn't move? If so, what technique worked best for you to get them out? I'm 3/4 changed over, but some of them seem welded in.
                        Did you use the impact screwdriver? I got all mine out that way. Some I had to keep hitting. There are two different sizes I had to use. If you did use the impact you may want to try some deep creep by seafoam if you get that up there. Spray it and let it sit and just keep doing that. Good luck.
                        David
                        1998 Suzuki Bandit
                        1978 GS1000 - gone
                        1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Did you use the impact screwdriver? I got all mine out that way. Some I had to keep hitting. There are two different sizes I had to use. If you did use the impact you may want to try some deep creep by seafoam if you get that up there. Spray it and let it sit and just keep doing that. Good luck.
                          Yes, I used an impact driver, that just destroyed the Phillips sockets. Then cut a straight slot in a couple to use the slot bit in the impact driver. Destroyed that. I'll try Liquid Wrench. I've never seen Seafoam here but I may order some from the States. I've read a lot about it on the GSR. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Flaggo60 View Post
                            Yes, I used an impact driver, that just destroyed the Phillips sockets. Then cut a straight slot in a couple to use the slot bit in the impact driver. Destroyed that. I'll try Liquid Wrench. I've never seen Seafoam here but I may order some from the States. I've read a lot about it on the GSR. Thanks.
                            Try this... http://www.seafoamsales.com/buy.htm It lists some places in Canada.

You may also be able to try something that vibrates like an airtool with a slotted bit in it. The vibrating may work it free. This of course after soaking it with something. Can you get any vise grips on any of them?

Using the impact driver and continually tapping fairly hard with a medium sized hammer may loosen it up too. Depending on the size of the screw....
                            David
                            1998 Suzuki Bandit
                            1978 GS1000 - gone
                            1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

bolts and polishing

Great job Portdave! The stainless bolts make all the diffrence. I just put a complete kit on my 700es and had the covers redone. Do you have some more full pics of your bike?

Comment

Working...
                              X