Polishing and new bolts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by portdave View Post
    Try this... http://www.seafoamsales.com/buy.htm It lists some places in Canada.

You may also be able to try something that vibrates like an airtool with a slotted bit in it. The vibrating may work it free. This of course after soaking it with something. Can you get any vise grips on any of them?

Using the impact driver and continually tapping fairly hard with a medium sized hammer may loosen it up too. Depending on the size of the screw....
    Yes, the forum was of great help this summer trying to get some carb intake screws out. Using a drift and a sharp hit sideways to break the threads loose or drilling out the heads and finishing with Vice Grips. I'm trying to protect the surface of the casings though, so the Seafoam may be a good route to try. Cheers.
    Ted

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
      Great job Portdave! The stainless bolts make all the diffrence. I just put a complete kit on my 700es and had the covers redone. Do you have some more full pics of your bike?
      Hey. Thanks. I would love to get the covers to look like this someday.

But for now they are much better than they were. I still need to paint some frame parts and paint the body pieces. Once I get my car back then I will have another ride and I can paint the bike and do some more in depth projects. Here is one shot with me and my son.

David
      David
      1998 Suzuki Bandit
      1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
      1978 GS1000 - gone
      1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Originally posted by Flaggo60 View Post
        Yes, the forum was of great help this summer trying to get some carb intake screws out. Using a drift and a sharp hit sideways to break the threads loose or drilling out the heads and finishing with Vice Grips. I'm trying to protect the surface of the casings though, so the Seafoam may be a good route to try. Cheers.
        Ted
        Best of luck with the few you have left. Try the seafoam. It won't hurt. You also may want to try some of them after a hard ride when the bike is real warm...
        David
        1998 Suzuki Bandit
        1978 GS1000 - gone
        1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Fantastic bike and great thread.
          Hondas
          '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
          Suzuki
          '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
          Kaw
          '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by yasser View Post
            Fantastic bike and great thread.
            Thanks Yasser. I feel really blessed to have bought a GS last year without knowing what I do now. I recommend them to everyone looking for an older bike that is reliable with lots of support, parts etc.

Something neat about riding this bike just about everyday to work with an antique license plate!!!
            David
            1998 Suzuki Bandit
            1978 GS1000 - gone
            1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
              I got my SS bolt kit from Z-1 also.
              Do you have a link? These bolts look great!
              2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
              1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
              2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
              s)

Comment

Originally posted by quexpress View Post
                Do you have a link? These bolts look great!
                There you go http://z1enterprises.com/
                McLoud
                '79 GS850
                `98 GSF1200 Bandit
                sigpic
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

Your engine looks great portdave. I like the polished, but not mirror finished look.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Buying individual SS screws

Would it would be cheaper if you purchase the SS fasteners individually? I know those companies buy the screws in mass quantities, but that just boosts their profits. I bought my fasteners off z1 enterprises, but if there were a single bolt missing from my kit I would go here:

www.boltdepot.com

Also purchase the metric thread gauge:

$1.80 is an amazingly low price. McMaster sells theirs for around $12 (granted those are metal gauges, these are plastic)

this site definitely helps in purchasing other fasteners to replace the corroded ones on your bike (keep in mind the fastener grade).

Comment

Originally posted by mcloud View Post
                      Thank you very much! I've just ordered a set!
                      2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
                      1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
                      2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
                      s)

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        Your engine looks great portdave. I like the polished, but not mirror finished look.
                        Thanks. I like a mirrored finish too but I think a nice clean polished look is nice on these bikes. I still have some touch paint etc to do but a little bit at a time. BTW I have seen some of your GS "specimens' and they look sweet.

D
                        David
                        1998 Suzuki Bandit
                        1978 GS1000 - gone
                        1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Originally posted by quexpress View Post
                          Thank you very much! I've just ordered a set!
                          Such a helpful site!!!!! All those bolts just add up for a nice improvement.

It is also nice to have all the different sizes picked out for you. Just match em up and replace them .

Just pay attention to the different sizes when you are removing them if you do more than one at a time. Like I did when I polished a piece.
                          David
                          1998 Suzuki Bandit
                          1978 GS1000 - gone
                          1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

How much bigger did you have to go on main jets to run the poddys, having trouble getting my bike to run right...

EDIT: oops i already pm'd ya lol...just replied your reply.
                            Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2009, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X