Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KiwiGS View Post
    Hey Mark the bike looks great mate
    See if your friendly bike shop might lend you a few sets of main jets to do your tuning and then you can buy what you need.

I have to agree with my Aussie friend here the red really pops

At the moment $100NZ would barely pay for the postage on a jet kit.

Chhers
    Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
    Looks great! Finish it up and go ride it.
    License back may 24th....

Run out of money to reapply for license and need warrent of fitness and registration.

Spiteful little bike had cost $4000 NZD so far

Comment

Oh heres an idea i have had for the paint on the tank...

just to seperate the engine from the tank a bit...

thoughts?

Comment

Looking good, I like the style and without the Silver, it will rock.Two tone gas tank is good.

Just a little thought though:
        Have you considered cutting down the original side panels? You could reshape them to really hug the seat, say approx 1.5inch deep at that point, flaring out to the tab near the shock mount and fitting as per original at the tank. These would tidy up the tank under the seat that holds the panel mounting and would also make use of the mount near the shock. Another alternative would be to fill the bottom of the tank in and sand to shape to remove the mount and ugly bump the missing panels exagerates. I had the exact same problem when trying to make a cafe racer from one of these, i ended up ditching the tank entirely due to it's shape. The shape makes a pretty good fighter tank though, it will always look like "somethings missing" at that point under the seat unless you can figure out a way to blend the lines in. I'm not being critical, i like the bike, love the looks and hope to see it finiished soon. You already know what i mean, cos you have stared at the bike long and hard already, i guarantee that much.

Comment

Love the 'blending' of the seat and tank together like that. It looks great.

You've inspired me to be a little creative with the paint on my 650G. I'm going to keep it close to original but I might just change the lines slightly. The Katana tanks are good for two-toning because of the lines in them. Now find me that bloody fairing. (j/k)

Comment

Originally posted by yaddy View Post
            Looking good, I like the style and without the Silver, it will rock.Two tone gas tank is good.

Just a little thought though:
            Have you considered cutting down the original side panels? You could reshape them to really hug the seat, say approx 1.5inch deep at that point, flaring out to the tab near the shock mount and fitting as per original at the tank. These would tidy up the tank under the seat that holds the panel mounting and would also make use of the mount near the shock. Another alternative would be to fill the bottom of the tank in and sand to shape to remove the mount and ugly bump the missing panels exagerates. I had the exact same problem when trying to make a cafe racer from one of these, i ended up ditching the tank entirely due to it's shape. The shape makes a pretty good fighter tank though, it will always look like "somethings missing" at that point under the seat unless you can figure out a way to blend the lines in. I'm not being critical, i like the bike, love the looks and hope to see it finiished soon. You already know what i mean, cos you have stared at the bike long and hard already, i guarantee that much.

Yeah thought i'd save time and photoshop it all, but at the end of the day whenever i put something on i lay it on the bike first, figure out what will work in the ways of colour and shape etc. then paint it...put it in the bike again and if it wasn't right a different colour it became!

Many hours spent laying awake in bed with literally hundreds of ideas in your head.... literally keep pen and pad by your bed for this.... dont need full details just enough to make you remember the next day. i was churning out 40 thoughts a night, and had a wall of post its...

Everything that needed doing..... thoughts from laying in bed of what i could visualise and it all came together mate. Was a lot of post it's lol

Most were lists of things to do...

But one night i came up with this... the pen hit the pad and this is how it came out.

The bruce mathie memorial Katana:

"This Classic GS 650G Katana combines classic styling with some modern upgrades while still staying true to the bikes red accent theme from factory, It still maintains a classic styled look, but the USD front end the digital gauges and the front end sporting 4 pot Tokiko calipers on each of the front discs, let slip to you that this things means business on the road while maintaining the same gleam in the eye that everybody gave it back in 1982."

I'm no author am i lol.

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
            Love the 'blending' of the seat and tank together like that. It looks great.

You've inspired me to be a little creative with the paint on my 650G. I'm going to keep it close to original but I might just change the lines slightly. The Katana tanks are good for two-toning because of the lines in them. Now find me that bloody fairing. (j/k)
            Will you pay me royalties in main jets and fuel vouchers? Or food stamps? (p/t) LOL
            Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2009, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X