my 82' gs750 cafe....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my 82' gs750 cafe....

hello all, been lurking on the board since i picked up my gs750 a few months ago.......

almost ready to stick it on the road, so far i've gone through just about everything, new brakes, rebuilt the carbs, made a cafe seat pan out of fiberglass, clubman bars, new tires, stripped down the jeb clampet paint on the tank and repainted, am in the middle of adjusting the valves and changing a few gaskets.
    just found a new front fender which i'll paint red, need to cut off some tabs on the frame, clean up the guages (an possibly rearange the fuel level guage/gear indicator in a pod), find a tail-light, and a few other things.....but she's coming along nicely.....
    the mirrors are off and will be replaced with some bar end napoleons....

here are a few pics, 1st one is when i brought it home....
    the others are camera phone pics, i'll take some better ones this week

i'm hoping to have the seat padded and covered this week
    and i know it's not really a cafe......cause i'm leaving the electronic goodies on it and not really lightening it......but like the look

one last pic

Comment

I like it. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

It's cafe if you say it is. There's no hard and fast rules about these things.

Comment

Looking good !

Comment

Thanks, I used to have a couple cb's back in the day, having recently moved to florida its bike weather year round.
          I sold my "toy" car a few months ago and wanted something else to play with......the quad in front of my 750 is another project, I wedged a honda 350x engine into a blaster chassis
          Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2009, 12:16 AM.

Comment

here is my first test wrap for the seat, i'm going to pick up a firmer piece of foam for the pad....the stuff i had was a bit soft, and i don't like that seam......now i know how i'm going to do it.......

here are a couple pics.....

Comment

I think its lookin good. I have been working on mine for a little over a year now. One thing at a time and it slowly starts to come together. You got the big major items out of the way bars and seat. Keep up the good work.

Comment

just a few pics......got the front fender painted and on (thanks gib).....
                i also repainted the seat rear (which is why the pad is pulled down)....
                valves are adjusted and top back together, a plug wire pulled out of it's socket so i need to get some new wires now (this is starting to be like my p-car was)

next is the lighting, and some polishing

Comment

Very sharp!

You do very nice work!

How does the seat lift up to get below it?

Thanks for the photos.

Rick

Comment

Connect the two sides of the rear of the frame behind the seat with a bar that matches the seat contour. It makes a great tag and tail light mount. also cleans up the rear of the bike and keeps the taillight and tag up high. drop your guages and headlight to give it sleeker look. just a couple of suggestions. Looks good so far, keep up the work.

Comment

i cut the rear part of the frame right at where the flat piece curves up and under the rear of the seat, i'm going to cap the ends so it looks better (no pics yet), i've been looking at the guages, i'm going to do something with them just not sure yet as to what......but definitely on the list, thanks

the seat slots into the stock tab by the tank, i molded the fiberglass into it, it stays in place very well right now, but i'll be adding a latch or something under the rear to be 100% with how secure it is.

for the taillights i'm probably going to use 2 round superbright led housings which i'll mount in the rear section, with the plate just below......

thanks all

Comment

I replaced my gauges last year and am very happy with the ones I bought. I think they'd look great on your bike.

Here's the gauge cluster on my bike.

This is what they look like from the front without the flyscreen. Personally, I like the flyscreen as it hides all the hardware and wires.

Comment

I am using the same gauges...from JC&Whitney

Comment

Originally posted by curseboy View Post
                            I am using the same gauges...from JC&Whitney
                            I'm not sure they're the same. I couldn't find a speedo on JCWhitney with the indicator lights, nor could I find the proper tach ratio for my bike. I bought the speedo from MikesXS.com. I bought the tach from crc2onlinecatalog.com.

Perhaps the selection at JCWhitney has changed since I bought my gauges.

Comment

found a pic of where the fiberglass seat pan slips into the stock bracket by the tank.......

i'm not sure what i'm going to do with my guages, i may end up getting a cafe fairing, if so i'll make an insert for them to hide in it.....i'm definately going to do something though

Comment

Working...
                              X