I need a new seat pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a new seat pan

My seat pan's all rusted and disgusted. The seat's torn up and I think it's beyond repair. I was hoping I could go to Lowe's and buy some metal on the cheap, but they don't seem to have any that's long enough. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or maybe one for sale? It's an 82 gs850. Not the L version.

I know I saw a thread where someone made one before, but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

this may be illegal but have you thought of a street sign? they seem pretty thick and durable i am thinking of doing this (with one i bought) lol

Comment

Aluminium, fibreglass, plywood - the choice is yours. It depends on how original you want it to look.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
        Aluminium, fibreglass, plywood - the choice is yours. It depends on how original you want it to look.

Good call. The foam and vinyl on top of just about anything will make all the difference in the world.

A seat pan made out of wood but then covered with good foam and good vinyl would probably not look any different than a stock one covered with good foam and good vinyl.

Comment

haha that seems like a pretty good idea. i might give that a shot

Comment

You can use the original seatpan as a mould to create a new fibreglass pan. That's what I did. Then I just cut off the old brackets etc (from the old pan) and bolted / rivetted them to the new 'glass one. Good as new.

Comment

Originally posted by elevatorman71 View Post
              this may be illegal but have you thought of a street sign? they seem pretty thick and durable i am thinking of doing this (with one i bought) lol

I used stop signs for my 650. My dad works for the roads department and they're old ones that faded, so no illegal activity here. Works REALLY well and they're plenty big. The older ones are galvanized steel, but all the newer ones have gone to aluminum. The choice is yours, but steel will be easier to find a welder for, at least around here. Unless you bring it to a shop.

Comment

Lowes does carry 2x4' sheets of 16 guage plain steel, they may be out of stock check another Lowe's in your area.

So does Sears Hardware.

22 guage is too flexible.

Eastwood sells 18 and 19 guage but they are pricey, you could always look for a steel supply in your town and they would have or cut any size sheet you want.

Comment

Working...
                X