Opinions on exhaust options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on exhaust options?

I made this exhaust using the old 4into1 exhaust from one of my other bikes. I got it all tacked into place but was unsure of the route I wanted to take with the ends of the pipes. Opinions?

AS IS

BABY MEGAPHONE

SHORT

SLASH CUT

Based on the style of your bike, I think the straight pipes look good. A bigger concern would be suspension, that thing looks like it will fold in half after taking a few bumps in the road....

Comment

Do everyone in your neighborhood, or town for that matter, and get some cast off Harley bullet type mufflers and weld them on. They are pretty compact and will keep the engine racket down to acceptable levels. Straight pipes are just plain dumb.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The long straight pipe looks the best however the slash cut is excellent because it does not take away from the frame lines and almost disspears focusing the eye on the bike and not the exhaust.

You could run baffles in the pipes to quiet things down slightly without increasing pipe diameter, i think they are $10.00 bucks at jcwhitney.com

Comment

Are you talking about the frame? That's funny if you think so. That tubing is twice the wall thickness as the stock tubing and the gussets are 3/8" steel plate. This frame isn't going anywhere!
          Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
          Based on the style of your bike, I think the straight pipes look good. A bigger concern would be suspension, that thing looks like it will fold in half after taking a few bumps in the road....

Comment

Maybe some baffles but mufflers are just "dumb".

Comment

Maybe this was not a good idea for this forum. I am not looking at quieting it down. Just simply a question of appearance and style.

Comment

Originally posted by krsmetalhed1988 View Post
                Maybe this was not a good idea for this forum. I am not looking at quieting it down. Just simply a question of appearance and style.
                It's your bike and I'm fine with you doing anything you want to make it your own. I just threw the glasspack idea out there for you to take a look at. They don't quite the exhaust down by much, very little in fact. They do have a nicer sound than a straight pipe IMO.

Comment

Honestly man, I think that leaving them how they are would be pretty sick.

If I were to do anything to them, I might think about shortening them up JUST A TAD. Not nearly as far as you shortened them for the third picture. Like leave them just as straight pipes but cut them off directly below where you've got the battery.

As an aside, I really ilke the style you've got going there. I may try to buy a beat up old (well, another beat up old) GS next spring and turn it into a chopper.

As another aside, I LOVE your headlight bracket. Did you make that yourself??

Comment

Like I posted over at TCU, I like the straight pipes, BUT if youre looking another option, maybe a pair of turnouts. Either way, your ride is looking better and better. Wish I could dump some time and money into getting mine farther along.

Comment

Straight with maybe a slight slash cut. Some people just don't appreciate loud. That being said the others are only thinking of their neighbors; perhaps of being a responsible citizen to your fellow citizens.. It is truly up to you and you bike looks great. Don't forget the kidney belt.

Comment

Originally posted by krsmetalhed1988 View Post
                        Let your freek flag fly man! Do what you want I think the mini megaphone is a cool and unique look that fits the bike well. Longer is deffanetly better just because it looks intentional. I cut my stock exhaust at a slite slant at the pasenger foot peg mount. Thats where the stock muffler starts so I got straight pipe. Its a little loud for me so im throwing a baffle in it. Anyway, I like it choped down kinda in the middle lengh so you can really see the wheel and so its not dumping on your toes. mini meg is a hot look.

Comment

No, don't get me wrong the glasspack idea is cool but my clearances are two close now. The pipes run close to the frame and the bulk of the glasspack would not clear. I kinda got irritated from the frame buckling and the straight pipes are dumb responses. I have been to school for chassis fab, my frame has no issues.
                          Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                          It's your bike and I'm fine with you doing anything you want to make it your own. I just threw the glasspack idea out there for you to take a look at. They don't quite the exhaust down by much, very little in fact. They do have a nicer sound than a straight pipe IMO.

Comment

Thanks man, yes I made the headlight bracket and pretty much everything else myself. Trying to keep cost down and further my creativity and knowledge. I am thinking about building some other frames for others that want them in the near future.
                            Originally posted by Gimpdiggity View Post
                            Honestly man, I think that leaving them how they are would be pretty sick.

If I were to do anything to them, I might think about shortening them up JUST A TAD. Not nearly as far as you shortened them for the third picture. Like leave them just as straight pipes but cut them off directly below where you've got the battery.

As an aside, I really ilke the style you've got going there. I may try to buy a beat up old (well, another beat up old) GS next spring and turn it into a chopper.

As another aside, I LOVE your headlight bracket. Did you make that yourself??

Comment

Working...
                            X