what to use to polish lower fork legs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what to use to polish lower fork legs?

I am in the middle of replacing the seals and fork springs on my GS850GX. What is the best way to clean and polish the lower fork legs? Ant suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scott

your starting point for polishing depends on the condition they are in now. If it is just a polish up, I like blue magic metal polish. If it is not shinny at all...you made need to start with wet sanding and move up thru the grits before actual polishing.

Comment

I started with these

And finished with this.

And then painted them.

Comment

AUTOSOL... But i also agree with wet sand first if you have to...

Comment

My fork legs started out black, first pic shows them after a strip down and 2 coats of paint stripper (Nitromors). These needed about 1.5 hours per leg with wet sanding to remove the scores and pits in them. The small bench grinder in the back of the pic is the tool i used to polish them up, i've since bought a proper buffing wheel but this managed it ok and was very cheap. I used 3 grades of polishing wheels and soap before getting the finish i was happy with. Takes a while to do but worth it imo. If you don't have a bench grinder, a buffing wheel on a drill will work too, if you don't have of those either, polish and a rag will work, just takes a lot longer but the same results can be acheived.

Comment

Originally posted by yaddy View Post
            My fork legs started out black, first pic shows them after a strip down and 2 coats of paint stripper (Nitromors). These needed about 1.5 hours per leg with wet sanding to remove the scores and pits in them. The small bench grinder in the back of the pic is the tool i used to polish them up, i've since bought a proper buffing wheel but this managed it ok and was very cheap. I used 3 grades of polishing wheels and soap before getting the finish i was happy with. Takes a while to do but worth it imo. If you don't have a bench grinder, a buffing wheel on a drill will work too, if you don't have of those either, polish and a rag will work, just takes a lot longer but the same results can be acheived.

Hey Yaddy, have you got your replacement fork seal clip yet?? I see its missing from the pic...

Comment

hey Bribird,
              no not yet, just started my 7th week and counting!
              so if anyone was thinking of using Dyrons motorcycles in Leeds, UK, please reconsider. took nearly 5 weeks to get my ring sets, said the valves were impossible, seems like a fork seal retaining clip is impossible too! if it weren't for your help on the valves and springs, i'd be sunk! cheers again dude

Comment

Paint stripper is recommend as the first step, even the natural aluminum colored fork sliders are clear coated to protect them from corrosion.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Paint stripper is recommend as the first step, even the natural aluminum colored fork sliders are clear coated to protect them from corrosion.
                  Yep, aircraft stripper is the ticket, pretty magical stuff, but be VERY careful about getting it on any exposed skin, it's instant chemical burn.

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the paint stripper. It worked great. Should I re-clearcoat the legs after?

Scott

Comment

Working...
                    X