Question about Bar End Mirrors...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Bar End Mirrors...

So I've got a set of bar end mirrors on the way. Should be here in the next couple of days.

I put new grips on the bike the other day, and they are the type with the ends open. When I got the one that was on there off of the throttle tube, I noticed that the tube's end is closed, making it impossible to get the bar ends into the bars.

Now, do I just hack the very end of the throttle tube off of there in order to get the bar ends in there?? Or is this going to damage the throttle tube in any way??

Thanks!!

Comment

Sweet.

That's what I thought...just wanted to make 100% sure before I go hacking something up!!!

Thanks!

Comment

or

I think this is what I used. Just knock the very end off.

You may need to cut it down a bit more so it doesn't foul on the mirror. You won't know until the mirror is in.

Comment

A couple notes

My recent expereince with bar end accessories are to pay special attention to the end of the grip.

I used a wood hole saw/bit and drilled through the end of throttle tube/grip. Installed and thought I had no issues till a couple months later.
          I had issues with the throttle not returning very fast (not good for an 1168 BB kit).

Turns out the end of the rubber grip (that is supposed to rotate) was rubbing on the fixed bar end weight creating steel against rubber friction and slowing the carb return. You might have a similar issue with a bar end mirror. Make sure there is clearance between the two.

I added a little silicone. Also left a small ridge of the inside of original throttle tube end, so I knew where to position the tube on the bar. Then let the bar end mirror/weight stick out a little further rather than jamming into the end of the throttle grip.

Pos

Comment

Once you get then on get ready for the thrill of ripping a $350 remote control mirror off your car the first time you come pulling in & forget they are on there. Nobody would do that would they? Well, maybe one guy !

Comment

Snagology

Once you get then on get ready for the thrill of ripping a $350 remote control mirror off your car the first time you come pulling in & forget they are on there. Nobody would do that would they? Well, maybe one guy !
              The fine art of "snagology"

Reminds me of my first day pulling into camp on the last GSR Yosemite Trip. I was ridding Chef's bike with those really comfortable engine guard foot pegs.

Swung just a little too wide; Was not so funny then as I snagged someone's tent while they were in it ; funny now

Pos

Comment

A single sided razor blade or 'stanley' knife is good for trimming the end off the grip so that it doesn't snag on the mirror. That's a fairly common problem with bar end mirrors and I've even had it happen with bar end weights.

Comment

Again....a SAWZALL is my tool of choice!!

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                    Again....a SAWZALL is my tool of choice!!

That's what I'll be using...none of that hand powered junk!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X