Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clubman Troubles

Hello everybody,

I just spent an hour trying to mount my clubmans and ran into some difficulties. I read up around here and knew I was in for a bit of a hassle but it seems they just don't want to be on this bike! Anyways, a few with clubmans describe how they routed some cables, what they bought aftermarket to make it easier, how they dealt with the blinkers interfering with the clutch and front brake, and some PICTURES!

Thanks a tonnnn,
    Steve

1980 GS550E

Well I ended up taking all the electronics off of my handle bars and either removing them or relocating them. But I had them all on there for a while. You just have to route things around so they dont bind up. The clutch I ran up on the left side (sitting on the bike) then back over the motor out the right side then snaked back over to the clutch perch. Same thing with the throttle. These pics are with all the electronics removed but like I said they were all on there for a while. It is a tight fit.

Comment

Cables, no biggie.

Originally posted by Jebus23 View Post
      Hello everybody,

I just spent an hour trying to mount my clubmans and ran into some difficulties. I read up around here and knew I was in for a bit of a hassle but it seems they just don't want to be on this bike! Anyways, a few with clubmans describe how they routed some cables, what they bought aftermarket to make it easier, how they dealt with the blinkers interfering with the clutch and front brake, and some PICTURES!

Thanks a tonnnn,
      Steve

1980 GS550E
      Only an hour?
      See pics too, but here is some info.
      Put the bars on without the controls just to find the ideal angle for your hands.
      Throttle: Notice the hole in the original bars for the steel tab in the throttle mount, put the throttle on to locate where to drill a new hole in the clubmans.
      Hand brake: Loosen the bolt where the brake line connects to the master cylinder, mount the brake in your ideal position, let the brake line loop upwards then down to take up the slack, and tighten.
      Clutch: find a new space behind the headlight to allow for the additional cable slack.
      That's about it, the details are up to you. Nothing new purchased.

"Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Thats funny I think thats exactly how mine are routed. Except I seemed to somehow keep my brake line tucked down in a little more. I think my master cylinder moved out toward the end a little more with the different throttle assembly.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I have them mounted up and everything is somewhat ok. The clutch is fine, the throttle revs up when I turn the wheel right, and the brake line is making me nervous they way its tucked behind the light. The other thing is my turn signals interfered with the clutch and brake so ive turned them 90 degrees down. now to solve the throttle and brake.

Comment

I purchased braided stainless lines; 1 running down to each caliper. I eliminated the junction block behind the fork trim piece and used the double banjo from the block for the M/C on the handlebar. No loop of brake line to mess up your aesthetics. Better feel from the brakes, except for the revelation that I now need progressive springs. Throttle cable is a little long for my tastes, now. Overall, it was pretty uneventful. Good luck.

Later . . .

Comment

Working...
            X